• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

F&F offer Lowell CCJ - how to contact them (email or post?)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F&F offer Lowell CCJ - how to contact them (email or post?)

Hi all,

I have drafted a letter to Lowell making a 40% F&F offer on a 5 year old CCJ I have just found out about for a debt I have never acknowledged or received correspondence about since before the CCJ was applied for (had moved address). It would otherwise take me a very long time to repay, and I have stressed this in the letter.

I would like to know if I should send this letter by recorded post or whether email correspondence is "watertight" enough in these situations?

Thank you!
    Tags: None

I'd stick to post. Why do you want to pay it off now ? Has the judgment holder contacted you regarding enforcement ?

Partial settlement of a CCJ won't get the CCJ on the register/credit file marked as settled. To have it marked as settled / satisfied then it has to be paid in full.

As it is 5 years old there's only a year left on your credit file and the judgment register, so setting it aside would be a risk of it being reapplied for a further six years unless you managed to settled it or negotiate payment without a judgment.... or of course if you defended it successfully.

How much approx is the judgment for ?
    What was the original debt ?
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

I have had no contact from the judgement holder, at all, I don't think they have my new address - which is why I am reluctant to use the postal system.

When I spoke to Northampton on the phone to get details of the CCJ, I asked them if they would mark a CCJ as satisfied when it is paid with a F&F offer and he said yes, and that the creditor will inform them the debt is settled?

I am not interested in a set aside, ideally I want the CCJ to be marked as satisfied so I can stop worrying about it / bailiffs. I can't afford to pay it in full so I am hoping they will accept the F&F as they have not heard from me in 10 years in relation to the original debt. I don't remember how much the original debt was, but the judgement is for ~£2500. I can afford to pay £900 as the result of a loan from a family member. Otherwise I will have to start repayments that I will ask the court to determine using income & expenditure sheet, as I am on a low income and have no assets.

Comment

If you aren't worried about the register/credit file then yes you can make a f&f offer in settlement of the CCJ debt so you can stop worrying about any enforcement action ( although, they do only have 6 years to commence enforcement before they have to apply to the court for permission to enforce ) If they don't agree a settlement then you can apply to the court ( form N245 ) to make payments at an affordable monthly installment.

It is up to the Judgment creditor if they inform the court the judgment is settled in full - and they may well do - however if they didn't for any reason and you applied for a certificate of satisfaction you wouldn't be able to do so with a partial settlement.

If this is worrying you and you intend on paying it either by F&F or by installment following application, then I would likely feel more comfortable if they did have my current address.... to take any enforcement action they would have to write to you first - so it would be better you receive the letters than they end up sending a warrant of control to your old address, and then have enforcement agents trace you and just turn up on the doorstep. Just my opinion as you want to settle, I think you're better doing it in writing and updating your contact details.

#staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Best to get an agreement/consent for f&f before sending any payment, though.

https://www.lovetts.co.uk/blog/bewar...ettlement-trap
          CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
          Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
          gets his brain a-going.
          Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
          The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X