• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Capital One Debt Help - What to do?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capital One Debt Help - What to do?

Hi folks,
    I need some advice on a Capital One debt from a number of years ago that I racked up when I was very unwell, lost my job and admittedly didn’t handle the financial shortcomings particularly well. I’ve been trying to fix my finances in the last few years (Thanks to you I was able to remove a CCJ and work out a payment plan with Lowell’s out of court, which was annoyingly as I couldn’t prove the last payment I’d made and lost confidence in the courtroom). I’ve got a debt with Capital One which defaulted in August 2014, and although I’ve made an effort to be on the open register, I’ve not heard from Capital One for years (I have moved). On my credit report it doesn’t detail where it’s been sold on (if it has, one report says it’s still open, one says it’s settled). I’m aware from reading all over the internet that it’s around the Stature Barred period that the company it was sold to will try to serve a CCJ, which I would not be able to afford if it was served. Is it worth contacting Capital One to try and make an arrangement ahead of the deadline to stop a CCJ (which will no doubt be a surprise and go to my old address because I haven’t had anything from anyone for years) or is it too late and happen anyway? I’d rather pay Capital One the debt rather than some awful debt recovery company. I’m aware that legally I’ve not been served anything, and it’s hard to know what position I’m in should anything appear on my report in the coming months.

Thank you in advance.
    Tags: None

Have you heard anything from anyone regarding this debt ? or are you just thinking you'd rather head it off at the pass as Capital One don't have your new address ?

It sounds as though it would become SB towards the end of this year, so you are correct this is the time when it may get sent to court. It's an impossible decision - do you wait until after the debt is definitely statute barred or contact the creditor. now to tell them address change /obtain info on the debt risking it going to the top of the pile for action.

Do you have any contact with your old address at all ?

Dors your credit file show a default date ?

#staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hi Amethyst, thanks for the swift reply!

I've not heard anything since I moved a fair few years ago (Must be about four years now). I've kept up to date on the electoral register and other folks have found me. I've checked across different credit reports and there's conflicting statements as to whether the account is still open with Capital One, as one says it's still with them, and one say it's been settled.*

The actual date of default that it's been reported is 21 August 2014. The last missed payment was the month before. I'm a bit worried about asking for information on where the debt has been sold for this exact reason, and I've considered a Subject Access Request to see if this would help to find out what's happened, but this could trigger action. I don't have any contact with my previous address (the address associated with the account as listed on my credit report).

Comment

Your up to date on the**electoral register,my advice would be to leave as is ,you will be no more worse off if they contact you than you are now .If later in the year they get in touch, you will still have your consumer rights to help you settle any issues.Don't make it easy for them by getting in touch ,they are not your friends .

Comment

Originally posted by calathea View Post
          Hi folks,
          I need some advice on a Capital One debt from a number of years ago that I racked up when I was very unwell, lost my job and admittedly didn’t handle the financial shortcomings particularly well. I’ve been trying to fix my finances in the last few years (Thanks to you I was able to remove a CCJ and work out a payment plan with Lowell’s out of court, which was annoyingly as I couldn’t prove the last payment I’d made and lost confidence in the courtroom). I’ve got a debt with Capital One which defaulted in August 2014, and although I’ve made an effort to be on the open register, I’ve not heard from Capital One for years (I have moved). On my credit report it doesn’t detail where it’s been sold on (if it has, one report says it’s still open, one says it’s settled). I’m aware from reading all over the internet that it’s around the Stature Barred period that the company it was sold to will try to serve a CCJ, which I would not be able to afford if it was served. Is it worth contacting Capital One to try and make an arrangement ahead of the deadline to stop a CCJ (which will no doubt be a surprise and go to my old address because I haven’t had anything from anyone for years) or is it too late and happen anyway? I’d rather pay Capital One the debt rather than some awful debt recovery company. I’m aware that legally I’ve not been served anything, and it’s hard to know what position I’m in should anything appear on my report in the coming months.

Thank you in advance.
          Hi there, if you are still stucked with paying your credit card bills, get in touch with me to help you clear the payment. Add me on whatsapp: +18133083080 Elzipo*

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X