• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Default Notices: time to remedy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Default Notices: time to remedy

did they get away with it?
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

and they oh so conveniently forgot to bring theirs and the judges trial bundles after reading my WS
      If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of payments.

sigpic

Comment

PF
        Surely that would go against the solicitors code whereby they are obliged to act in their clients best interests

Comment

yes and no yes in that at that point it should have been struck out and no in that costs were denyed and they did not get the CO they were after furthermore the judge only ordered £20 a mth and said that was the most this court would order given the facts as to how they have handled the case
          ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
          yup CPR PART 1 comes to mind and im sure that is what the judge was refering to
          Last edited by pompeyfaith; 31st August 2010, 16:53:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by New_Age_Biker View Post
            Anybody have any thoughts on my post 71?
            Hi NAE
            Sorry got distracted.
            Seems to me that the default termination is a different animal to the none default variety.
            It seems fairly clear that whilst a creditor can terminate an agreement that has not defaulted, what they really mean is terminate the right to drawdown credit.
            I to be honest am still unsure as to the argument that says if an agreement is terminated after an invalid agreement then no further corrected agreement can be issued.
            Seems a bit contradictory to me as surely if the default notice is ineffective then the termination cannot be valid, if this is the case the agreement is still active and the creditor free to simply issue a corrected one.
            Bit chicken and egg really.
            So like the lady says I think we are just going to have to wait until a judgment is produced to point the way
            Peter

Comment

Maybe

Woodchester Lease Management Services Ltd v Swain & Co 1998
              'that where the sum claimed [on the Dn] exceeded the amount the hirer owed the notice was thereby rendered invalid; and that, accordingly, since the plaintiff had not complied strictly with the statutory provisions, it could not recover damages under the contract'

I suggest this argument could be used to prevent enforcement via the courts on the back of a faulty termination, it may also prevent post contract interest from accruing and if the OC had been informed possibly a counter claim for damages
              As to termination of non default accounts, why can't they decide to take their ball home & stop playing?
              I see nothing we can do about it as long as if their contract states they will give X number of days then if they comply they can close any of our accounts any time they feel like.
              I am not sure how / how quickly they would then have the right to collect the outstanding balance though..
              Last edited by New_Age_Biker; 31st August 2010, 17:46:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Peter, you're right. Termination on breach cannot be valid without a compliant DN. s87 seems to be very clear here.

However, my experience is that the OC will not only terminate but enforce, even when his mistake is brought to his attention. I would therefore think that the debtor merely needs to accept that termination, which of course must include the OC's waiver of his entitlement to unpaid amounts (or goods).

The contract was regulated under CCA. Presumably if the OC wishes to end the contract without adhering to CCA, then he must also forego the benefits of CCA which may include his entitlements. If that isn't the case, then it opens the door to any number of rogue lenders who do not need to worry about CCA regulation.

Woodchester is useful here, as Biker has said. The judgement seems to suggest that the OC is utterly stuffed without a valid DN.

LA

Comment

Peter, you're right. Termination on breach cannot be valid without a compliant DN. s87 seems to be very clear here.
                  It's very clear to everyone apart from the seemingly ever growing number of Judges who impose their own interpretation of what is a compliant Default Notice.

Comment

">

Real D/N

Altered D/N with dates changed and no company header this is the one put in trial bundle.

Note they also changed the clause I was supposed to of breached this was done to make it fit the new post 2007 conditions

sigpic

Comment

LA
                      I am lead to believe that issuing for the full amount, on the back of a faulty DN, when only the arrears should have been claimed is grounds for the claim to be thrown out with costs for the defendant.

PF
                      This goes to prove why original documents should be available in court. I guess it would be nice if the DJ would look at facts when they are presented though.

Comment

PF - who changed it - the sols ? Have you made a complaint ?
                        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

yup the sols they got quite a rollicking from mbna im reliably told and no longer take on any new cases a complaint has been made to the sra and is still ongoing

sigpic

Comment

Good Thanks Pompey, let us know what occurs with it won't you.
                            #staysafestayhome

Comment

i have shared this to prove a point in that even the claimants can break under presure and indeed everything sent to you must be checked and double checked
                              indeed i will amethyst
                              Last edited by pompeyfaith; 31st August 2010, 23:38:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by New_Age_Biker View Post
                                Maybe

Woodchester Lease Management Services Ltd v Swain & Co 1998
                                'that where the sum claimed [on the Dn] exceeded the amount the hirer owed the notice was thereby rendered invalid; and that, accordingly, since the plaintiff had not complied strictly with the statutory provisions, it could not recover damages under the contract'

I suggest this argument could be used to prevent enforcement via the courts on the back of a faulty termination, it may also prevent post contract interest from accruing and if the OC had been informed possibly a counter claim for damages
                                As to termination of non default accounts, why can't they decide to take their ball home & stop playing?
                                I see nothing we can do about it as long as if their contract states they will give X number of days then if they comply they can close any of our accounts any time they feel like.
                                I am not sure how / how quickly they would then have the right to collect the outstanding balance though..
                                Hi well this is the thing the situaltion you give where the creditor terminates the agreement without a default he cannot pursue the debtor for early payment of the loan, for that he would have to have issued a default notice, the argument is that he would not be able to do that because the agreement was terminated.

this is why a none default termination will always (i suspect be just a termination of debtors rights to draw further credit).

Peter
                                Last edited by peterbard; 1st September 2010, 10:41:AM. Reason: spell

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X