• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Seeking Advice Regarding Unenforceable Debts and next steps

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking Advice Regarding Unenforceable Debts and next steps

Hi everyone,

Long story short, I ended up in a pretty tough spot with 5 CCs and a repayment to my ex-employer for training fees and relocation support fees leaving me heavily in debt (£15k to my ex-employer and £25k to creditors). Bankruptcy is/was not an option due to my line of work.

I defaulted on 4 of those CCs.

I later received letters from Link Financial and PRA stating that they now owned the debts (the amounts owed were slightly lower than the amount owed to the original creditor), the letters had NoA attached as well (this was all sent as regular post, not tracked/recorded/signed for).

I sent a CCA s77-79 for each of these CC debts and have received two responses stating the debts are unenforceable, as they have no proof of the CCAs. I am awaiting responses for the other two (12 days have passed).

So my question is, as the NoAs were not delivered correctly, I haven't acknowledged receiving them and the two debts are unenforceable can I request the defaults be removed for those two debts?

If not, what are my next steps?

To clarify all of the debts along with the ex-employer debt are in a DMP managed by StepChange, who automatically changed the owner of the debts to Link Financial and PRA.

I would like to try to focus on paying down the debt with ex-employer and the last CC still with the original creditor if possible.

Thanks in advance,

EM
    Tags: None

Just to add further details, the defaults were applied within 1 month of me getting into arrears on all of those accounts, however checking my credit reference, they don't appear for another 3 months after I received those letters (matching when Link/PRA purchased the debts). I have asked CRA to change the dates to match the letters received.
    Last edited by enforceme; Yesterday, 17:29:PM.

Comment

NOAs are not normally delivered registered or signed for cant see a defence there

Comment

Thanks for clarifying Wales01man.

Edit:

Are there any obvious next steps or is it the crossroads of pay/don't pay, and await response for the other two debts?

Comment

Originally posted by enforceme View Post
          Just to add further details, the defaults were applied within 1 month of me getting into arrears on all of those accounts, however checking my credit reference, they don't appear for another 3 months after I received those letters (matching when Link/PRA purchased the debts). I have asked CRA to change the dates to match the letters received.
          You really need to get hold of the Terms and Conditions for the accounts.You should be Defaulted after you miss 3 payments, sometimes it's longer. What you are saying is that you received Default Notices after one missed payment, if the Terms and Conditions say different then you may have something there for your Defence, as you weren't given time to 'rectify' the account as per the Terms and Conditions..

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post

You really need to get hold of the Terms and Conditions for the accounts.You should be Defaulted after you miss 3 payments, sometimes it's longer. What you are saying is that you received Default Notices after one missed payment, if the Terms and Conditions say different then you may have something there for your Defence, as you weren't given time to 'rectify' the account as per the Terms and Conditions..
            Thank you for your response Echat11, so unfortunately I don't actually remeber if I was sent T&Cs I only have a copy of the emailed Explanation and draft CCA. The draft CCA mentions "we may give negative feedback to credit reference agencies, which may make getting credit more difficult for you in future". It however doesn't refer to any times from missed payment to that negative feedback.

Is there any way I could get access to the T&Cs considering the DCA couldn't find them when I requested a S77-79?

Comment

Thank you for your response Echat11, so unfortunately I don't actually remeber if I was sent T&Cs I only have a copy of the emailed Explanation and draft CCA. The draft CCA mentions "we may give negative feedback to credit reference agencies, which may make getting credit more difficult for you in future". It however doesn't refer to any times from missed payment to that negative feedback.

Is there any way I could get access to the T&Cs considering the DCA couldn't find them when I requested a S77-79?
              A long shot, but try the Internet Archive.

Comment

A long shot, but try the Internet Archive.
                Unfortunately, they match the T&Cs sent out as draft cca.

Comment

Unfortunately, they match the T&Cs sent out as draft cca.
                  How old are the accounts?

Comment

How old are the accounts?
                    1, 4, 6 and the last one is over 10 years old, I think it is around 13 years old. The unenforceable pair are the 1 and 10+ years respectively.

Also if I am going to ask for the default removal on grounds of not being given enough time to rectify, would it be to the OC or the DCA?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X