• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Luggerbugs needs help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Luggerbugs needs help

[quote=LuggerBugs;162764]Cheers folks

Don't think he needs to be worrying about PPI etc. All he really wants is for this eejit (and perhaps others later on) to just accept the fact that their calls are unneccesary and distressing.

Yes I know that, but that is what PPI is for and if it has been applied then the debt would be paid off through that and therefore no need for their calls.

I have also recently lost my mum and do know what it's like trying to deal with stuff like this. As for the others later on, there will be some no doubt and the worst of the bunch will be DWP if she was any sort of benefit or pension.
    The sooner they are informed and given proof the better in the long run.
    Enaid x

Comment

I agree with enaid above and am puzzled as to why you seem intent on reinventing the wheel when all you need do is send a copy of the death certificate to each creditor.

Dead people cannot pay bills and while the debt does not die with them, unless it was joint, there is not a great deal they can do.

Comment

Aye, I hear ye. OK, I'll have a chat with him this weekend. It does seem the most sensible thing to do would be to photocopy a shedload of certs in readiness with a simple covering letter.

Anybody getting shirty after that can simply get reported and ignored.

Thanks folks.
        My Blog
        http://cabotfanclub.wordpress.com

Comment

Oh Lugger hun I think you'll find that in the majority of cases mere photocopies of a Death Cert is not acceptable and that they insist on the true original copy.

Shame they don't provide the same when given a CCA request eh.

Comment

Well, seems it's only the one lot that employ cretinous muppets, as everybody else so far has been understanding.

A pity really, cos everybody else is also getting paid off as a result of their compassionate stance. Which just goes to show... if you employ mental midgets, your profits suffer.
            My Blog

Comment

Hi Luggerbugs,
              Sorry to hear of your friend's loss. He is lucky to have you to help him sort it out, as I know from personal experience that it's hard for anyone to concentrate on such issues after losing a loved one. Which is why the creditors' behaviour is so inexcuseable.
              Some will agree to write it off on receipt of an original Death Certificate. Sadly others will not.
              Much depends on who is Executor and whether there is a residual estate after payment of priorities..funeral costs etc.
              It is the duty of the Executor to ensure that any claims made against the estate are accurate and verified.
              Those who don't agree to write it off will start demanding to know the value of the estate etc..you should respond with reminding them of the above fact and demanding proof of the debt with a CCA request. Insist that while you are aware that they may technically send a reconstruction in response, in the circumstances and in order to conclude matters speedily, only a copy of a signed and legally enforceable agreement will be accepted, together with terms and conditions from inception and as varied, and a statement of account showing how the balance claimed has been calculated, including any default charges. I would suggest that if they are not able to supply the requested documentation within 14 days from receipt of the letter that they should write and confirm this and close the account. Do this even to the "nice" ones if they don't back off after getting the DC.
              One of the worst cases of bereavement harrassment I've seen was from M&S.
              But that's not sympathy..that's M&S sympathy!
              Good luck with it,

Shepherdess
              Last edited by Shepherdess; 1st August 2010, 06:02:AM.

Comment

I detect a touch of militancy here and we need to be careful that we are not advocating irresponsibility toward debt. In post #17 I wrote that debts do not die and with the exception of gambling debts, they don't.

Debts must be paid from the estate and there is no automatic assumption that the creditor will write off the debt and I really don't see why they should.

However, creditors who are seeking repayment from an estate must wait until finances have been finalised and a decision has been made with regards to paying creditors - if they do not, this may be classed as harassment. Merely asking for payment is not harassment and creditors are perfectly entitled to request a copy of the death certificate.

Comment

HA! WHAT estate???

No, I hear what you are saying. But sometimes there is only one way to hit back when faced with idiocy. After all, her debts are not his debts. And so morally AND legally, he could just tell them ALL to shove it.

The fact that all but one creditor will benefit in any case, despite not having a leg to stand on, is highly admirable IMVHO. And I cannot find it in myself to contradict his stance regarding that one creditor.

Irresponsible? Who cares. If I was in his shoes (God forbid), I'd do the same. Compassion costs nothing, but it appears that even death is seen as an "excuse" by some.
                  My Blog

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X