• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Post Office Christmas savings scheme

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post Office Christmas savings scheme

The Post Office announced plans today to launch a Christmas saving scheme to help fill the gap left by the collapse of Christmas hamper firm Farepak.
    The Post Office Christmas Club will be available from January at all of the group's branches.
    People taking part in the scheme will be given a card which they can use to make deposits ranging from £5 to £500 over the counter, and they can save a maximum of £1,000 a year.
    They will not be given access to funds until November next year, when they will either be able to use their Christmas Club card as a pre-paid debit card at retailers that have signed up to the scheme, or they can exchange the money for a range of gift vouchers at the Post Office.
    The group has so far negotiated partnerships with around 200 retailers, including supermarkets, wine merchants, clothing groups, health and beauty firms and travel and leisure companies.
    Among the companies that are taking part in the scheme are Argos, Boots, Debenhams, Halfords, House of Fraser, Peacocks, Sainsbury's, Thorntons, Woolworths and WHSmith.
    The group is also negotiating discounts and bonuses for scheme members with retailers, and it said these deals would provide benefits comparable with interest rates available on high street savings accounts.
    All money saved through the scheme will be held in a protected account under the control of the Bank of Ireland and the funds will only be accessible to savers.
    The scheme aims to fill a gap identified in the Treasury's Review of Christmas Saving Schemes carried out by Brian Pomeroy, the chairman of the Financial Inclusion Taskforce, in the wake of the collapse of Farepak in the run up to Christmas last year.
    Alan Cook, managing director of the Post Office, said: "As one of the UK's most trusted brands with an unparalleled retail network, we are responding to the need for a safe and convenient way for people to put money aside for Christmas.
    "We have been working on this for many months to get the best scheme possible for our customers, to provide them with a way to save small regular amounts which ensures their cash is fully protected and looked after securely for the year until they need it at Christmas.

Re: Post Office Christmas savings scheme

Fantastic news......at least we can be sure if it all goes belly up, that the government will bale it out........................well they did with Northern Rock!:rolleyes:

It looks like a very decent scheme, lets hope the retailers offer some good loyalty discounts. The range of retailers looks great.
    "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Any interest earnt ?

But yes good idea.
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Me opened one was easy peasy.......You can only use card between 1st november and 31st January you can open with minimum £5 and £500 maximum up to a £1000 on any 1 card...........And unlike High Street vouchers if you use PO card you get discount in shop and you dont have any faffing around getting £1 vouchers back instead of change if you dont spend the whole voucher you use.........You can ring or check your account online to see what your balance is 24/7.

Only downside is that you dont earn any interest but I suppose the discount in stores will make up for that...

Comment

Seems like a good idea - I picked up a leaflet the other day for the savings stamps scheme in PO's - to pay for bills and vouchers for christmas. I think having it in an account rather than on a book of stamps (which knowing me I'd just lose) and not having the access to it is a good idea for christmas.

Is there a list of the stores who will be accepting these cards ?

My first thinking on it is I don't tend to shop much at high street stores, especially for christmas - works out expensive. But saving doesnt happen cash wise with me - in the past its always been an annual payment break from mortgage thats covered christmas. Guess I need to plan ahead a bit now lol. bummer.
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

great idea, especially for the elderly

Comment

Originally posted by chris2289 View Post
              great idea, especially for the elderly
              Good shout, will be ideal for the ladies on here pmsl

Comment

Originally posted by stevokenevo View Post
                Good shout, will be ideal for the ladies on here pmsl
                Cheeky sod! Where's the punch smiley???/

Comment

Stevo you in a cheeky mood again PMSL
                  Member of the Beagles £2 coin and small change savers clubs, both based in the Debt Forum:11:

Comment

Originally posted by Xena View Post
                    Cheeky sod! Where's the punch smiley???/
                    couldn't find a punch smiley will this do instead?

Comment

Stevo you are soooooooo dead !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Why wouldn't you use a post office investment account? they have no notice period, and they pay interest.

Comment

Originally posted by tomterm8 View Post
                          Why wouldn't you use a post office investment account? they have no notice period, and they pay interest.
                          I know what your saying Tom, but the money would be able to be had at any time. With the post office savings scheme, they will not be given access to funds until November. I think this is a great idea as many would be tempted to just dip into it when they liked.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X