• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Charity shops beating the crunch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charity shops beating the crunch

Charity shops beating the crunch

By Mark Broad
    BBC News

CHARITY PROFITS
    Oxfam £21m
    Cancer Research UK £16m
    British Heart Foundation £14.4.m
    Salvation Army £6.2m
    British Red Cross £5.1m

Source: Charity Shops Survey 2008

Charity shops in the UK seem to have beaten the economic slowdown as shoppers look for value away from the traditional High Street chains.
    The profits of the top charity shops rose 7.4% to a total of £106.7m over the past year, according to the Charity Shops Survey 2008.
    Top of the charity money earners was Oxfam, with profits of more than £21m.
    The biggest growth came from the Salvation Army, which saw its profits surge 64%.
    The increases in charity shop profits contrast with falls across the rest of the retail sector as the credit crunch has started to bite.

Charity shops are well placed to weather economic storms as cash-strapped consumers turn to them for value for money

David Moir, Association of Charity Shops

Recent figures from the British Retail Consortium show that retail sales values were down almost 1% from July 2008.
    Since the credit crunch started, clothing chain Ethel Austin and the shoe retailer Dolcis have gone into administration as shoppers have cut back on spending.
    Defying the downturn
    But while mainstream retailers have been struggling, some charity outlets have been preparing themselves for an increase in business.
    David Moir from the Association of Charity Shops said that his members were well placed to buck the economic downturn.

"Trading conditions, as for all retailing, are now extremely tough," he said.
    "However, evidence from previous slowdowns is that charity shops are well placed to weather economic storms as cash-strapped consumers turn to them for value for money."
    "If charity shops continue to respond to consumer needs, then they are well-placed to come out of this downturn in a good position." he added.
    The British Red Cross said in July that it is going to spend £12m over the next five years to improve its charity shops.
    It plans to open 20 new shops each year until 2012 and refit 140 existing shops.

Charity shops have enjoyed a strong year with profits up by 7.4 per cent, according to the findings of the Charity Finance Charity Shops Survey 2008.

The income of the 72 charities in the sample rose by 5.7 per cent to £534.3m, and although costs increased by 5.3 per cent, total profits were up to £106.7m. Average profit per shop per week rose from £350 to £370.

Oxfam extended its lead at the top of the league table thanks to a 5.1 per cent increase in profit to £21.1m, while Cancer Research UK held on to second place with a 1.2 per cent increase. This was despite British Heart Foundation closing the gap in third, up 14.2 per cent, while the Salvation Army Trading Company in fourth position had an outstanding year, increasing its profits by 63.6 per cent to £6.2m.
    Last edited by Amethyst; 2nd September 2008, 08:57:AM.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Re: Charity shops beating the crunch

I live in charity shops. Oxfam are really expensive though and I tend to go there if the others dont have what I'm after.

Clothes at places like supermarkets are so cheap now, Asda always seem to have £2 tops and stuff in, but then you walk down the street and bump into at least 300 people with same top on. And I have a stupid thing not to wear something to the shop I bought it in and the inherent dubiations of origin.

Oh anyway prices have crept up lately in charity especially on clothing - my independenty local one is the best, especially for school jumpers for 50p (they have stuff from asda and tescos in the main but the school jumper has embroidered name and cost £14 in the proper shop). Most of mine and my kids clothes come from charity shops. Not undies or shoes.

Curtains and bedding they are good for too...people seemt o give them stuff they got wrong sizes over a couple years back and never bothered to take up or back.

Crockery too is ace. My youngest daughter loves tea cups and saucers and china ornaments and she usually heads that way while the others head for the soft toys.

Think my fave are Red Cross and Sally Army shops. Barnardos good for furniture (and they deliver too well my local one does which is amazing)
    Last edited by Amethyst; 2nd September 2008, 07:26:AM.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Me too, I am another who loves a good old route through the charity shops.
      Don't think I have ever bought a new coat for our Tilly or my OH in a long time and we have had some smashers.
      Jumpers and shirts too are always welcome as OH's weight is up and down and Tilly could never have enough tops etc.
      I won't buy shoes either but did get a pair once that had never been worn and they always have fab handbags in for some reason. Enaid x

Comment

As most of you know my mum passed away a few weeks ago, and I've had the job of clearing our her house, so I sat and had a think and decided to give all her clothes, bedding etc to the British Heart Foundation, (both my parents passed away from heart trouble), her china and kitchenware and odds and sods will go to our local hospice shop, as well as to the RSPCA / PDSA and furniture I suppose will go to the local hospice where she lived if they will take it.
        Whenever we have a sort out here we always give to the local hospice shop, we are in the middle of doing up our dining room and we sent the furniture to the shop and guess what they wouldn't take the display cabinet because it was 'too big', so a perfectly good item of furniture ended up in the back of the skip, such a shame really.

I don't give to charity shops that support those overseas, as I believe that at the moment there's too many people in this country that need help first. Although I do sponsor two children abroad one in Africa and one in India.

Comment

Well I dont really go the charity shops to give to charity I go cause they a little goldmine of interesting and kooky stuff and i can afford to shop there.

I used to work in Oxfam just for something to do when I was unemployed as a young'un and I only don't tend to shop there now cause they are expensive. They want £8 for a pair of Jeans whereas BRC only want £3 - etc.

Plus Oxfam are now more like a flaming fair trade gift shop with carved elephants and pottery than bonafide second hand stuff.
          #staysafestayhome

Comment

Sometimes Asda and Tesco etc are cheaper and Primark...I find charoty shops more expensive than the 3 I mentioned...........A pair of kids jeans for instance in Asda is £1.75 and a matching long sleeved T for £2.....there are bargains to be had in the high street stores..........You just have to look.

Comment

oooo had a good day yesterday. Got some age 10/11 Ted Baker and Matthew Williamson jeans, and some next skirts and whatnot for £1 each. Bargain.

Yep Asda,Primark and Tescos are pretty good on kids clothes, not so great on adult stuff except the basics. Still nice to get some Next and whatnot for similar prices sometimes.
              #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X