• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Halifax offer today (1st May)!!!! But....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halifax offer today (1st May)!!!! But....

I'm helping my brother with regards to his claims and after sending HBOS an initial LBA was astounded that my brother received a letter straight back advising him that they would be making a full offer of charges of just over £4,000 as they had identified him as a hardship case.

Absolutely brilliant news and I couldn't believe it until my brother showed me a copy of the letter.

HOWEVER, he's spoken to Halifax today about his refund and they have said that they will be using it to offset his overdraft on the account (apprx £2k) which is fair enough but also using the remainder to offset against a separate loan he has with them and his credit card he has with them.

Are they surely allowed to do this as the charges were incurred on his bank account and I'd have thought should be used to clear any overdraft on his current account with the remainder refunded to him.

Would appreciate any advices!!!

Re: Halifax offer today (1st May)!!!! But....

Is he in arrears with his loan and credit card?

If he is not, then they have no right to pay these off early, however, if there are arrears on either account then the bank do have the right to set off any sums against those liabilities.

Comment

I presume that he is behind on his loan and card payments, due to hardship
      With Halifax they usually have a clause int the contract that enables them to do this.

Look at it as he is clearing more of his debts off, so helping him out of hardship.

If you claimed on hardship grounds, you can only expect that they help you with that, and thay have done this by clearing/reducing other debts

Comment

Sadly, you will probably find that they once they have paid £2000 into his bank account they will also then remove his overdraft facility.

Comment

Thanks for the comments all.

At least a win is a win and it's helped him clear some of his debts!!!

Seems there are some lenders out there after all who are dealing with Hardship cases so hopefully this will give some hope to others!!

Comment

Thats the first victory I've heard of in ages. Well done to your brother!

Would you mind detailing his hardship issues so that we may assess if they could help other claimants?

:whoo:
            "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Good news Shazz and a very interesting case.

Can you share with us the grounds for the hardship please? This is just so unusual and it would be really helpful for fighting other hardship cases if we knew why this one has succeeded where nearly verything else fails.

Comment

I'll speak to my brother as I do not know what discussions he has had with them prior to this.

To be honest I told him to get his claim in and even wrote up the standard LBA for him expcting them to respond with their standard letter saying complaint is registered until outcome of test case, blah, blah so it was a shock to say the least when they wrote back saying that they would be making a full refund.

Once I've spoken to him further regards to his situation and what he had discussed with Halifax I'll post up.

Comment

Brilliant news and as you say a win is a win is a win :cheer2:

Comment

Just a thought here regarding similar cases

Could it be that when a customer has debts outstanding across a variety of products such as this case, that the banks are refunding the charges because they are just clearing monies already owed to them and not actually givng the custonmer the money. and that they are usign the Guise of a Hardship claim to justify it.
                    It will help the bank on the current credit crisis as they are reducing their risk against the customer
                    Are the Banks worried that the result of the Test Case may make tham have to pay the actual customer back direct and NOT offset the monies to any outstanding debts within the bank

PKea

Comment

Originally posted by PKea View Post
                      Just a thought here regarding similar cases

Could it be that when a customer has debts outstanding across a variety of products such as this case, that the banks are refunding the charges because they are just clearing monies already owed to them and not actually givng the custonmer the money. and that they are usign the Guise of a Hardship claim to justify it.
                      It will help the bank on the current credit crisis as they are reducing their risk against the customer
                      Are the Banks worried that the result of the Test Case may make tham have to pay the actual customer back direct and NOT offset the monies to any outstanding debts within the bank

PKea
                      Good points Pkea, Also bear in mind that they have just paid back the charges ( according to what was said in the original post ). They haven't paid back any interest so IMHO have actually been unjustly enriched by their actions. I don't know why Shazzaw's brother took out the loan with HBOS but just for a moment imagine that the loan was taken out so that he could reduce his overdraft at some point in the past. He was paying interest to the Bank on his overdraft, then and now is also paying interest to the Bank on the loan as well. OK, the overdraft level wasn't and isnt now totally due to the bank charges being applied to the account. But by just paying back the charges the Bank are still hundreds, if not thousands of pounds richer as a result of the overall deal because they have profited by using this money whilst it has been in their possession and not just by charging interest on these amounts to Shazzaw's Brother but also by being able to lend out his money elsewhere at their APR rate.

I suppose we can class this as a WIN, but it's actually a WIN / WIN. Because the Bank is still in an overall winning situation.

Personally, I would still be inclined to go after them to request that they pay this refund in cheque format so that Shazzaw's Brother can decide how he wishes to spend his own money and also maybe by seeking assurances that they will not reduce his authorised overdraft level.

Budgie
                      Last edited by Budgie; 1st May 2008, 17:51:PM. Reason: Changed my mind - regarding additional compensation

Comment

Brilliant !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a few comments on this but will think how to put them for a bit.
                        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Budgie,

The ideal would be for him to receive a cheque so that he can decide how to use the refund (even a cheque for the difference between clearing his overdraft on his bank account and the charges due would be fair).

What chance though that HBOS would have to do this rather than use the full refund against his account overdraft, loan account and credit card??

Comment

Was he in arrears on loan and c/card payments ?

ALSOOOOOOO are there late payment charges on those ?
                            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                              Was he in arrears on loan and c/card payments ?

ALSOOOOOOO are there late payment charges on those ?

Good point Batman !!!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X