• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

what is the point of Financial Ombudsman

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is the point of Financial Ombudsman

My Bradford and Bingley account was 30years strong, the last 14 I used a box number (personal reasons), which B&B sent all my mail. I was promised my account would be TRANSFERRED to santander, once refurbishment of outlet completed.

Although same staff/banch, this avowal was reneged. Although I was the same person, etc. suddenly I did not fit the Santander protocol (and spoken to like something she wished she had not stepped in). Not my fault I don't have a Swiss Nationality, Irish passport, gun licence, etc. They refused accepting my Blue Badge (photo, signature, etc - same as passport(ish). [I am convinced their abject refusal had more to do weith my being a pensioner and a poor one at that!

Wrote to FOS - three times in all as they kept parroting Santander refused to give me a NEW ACCOUNT - DIDN'T WANT NEW, WANTED "TRANSFER"!. eVENTUALLY, A 'DECISION' (SIC) from FOS which I rejected re-iterating TRANSFER account. Because I rejected that WRONG 'decision' FOS has now closed my file! [Yet FSA decree existing customers do not have to give 'proof' but should have accounts transferred. What to do?

Did try Jeff Prestridge (Mail on Sunday) who intimated he would pursue it for me - second guess? Yes, he too reneged! Does anyone do anything these days in the name of proper justice?
    Tags: None

Re: what is the point of Financial Ombudsman

We've had this conversation before so where are the answers to the questions I asked on the other thread?
    ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
    I really hate repeats
    what is the point of FOS? - Legal Beagles Consumer Forum
    Last edited by leclerc; 31st January 2011, 17:43:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
    (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Is there a specific reason you wish your account to remain at that particular bank regardless of which bank it is ? Santander are consistently one of the worst for customer service and, basically, everything else - though I appreciate it may be a bit of a principle thing and you would be quite right if you got your account transferred properly as promised then shut it and went elsewhere for your banking.

What is currently the status of your account ? ie how are you doing your banking if B&B have gone and they havent transferred you to Santander ?

MSE have recently dealt with an issue with American Express about over strict rules for ID for opening accounts, so it may be worth contacting Martin Lewis with your story
      - also Watchdog looked at Santander last year (sept) and at the end of an article ( BBC - Watchdog: Can you bank on (customer) care from Santander? ) say '' Please send emails to watchdog@santander.co.uk and we will look into every case.'' so that might be worth a go too.

(p.s. I havent read the other thread)
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Thanks for reply,and info. At the time I thought stick with the devil you know (or more to the point, who - theoretically - knows YOU). Also, because Santander does 'know' me and if I went to another bank, they wouldn't (know me). Also, without lengthening reply with details, I don't have utility bills, passport, etc. My pension giros are sent to me c/o the Post Office, where I cash them. I don't have housing benefit/council tax accounts - to all intents I'm a persona non grata. In reality, I thought I could do without a bank account - not least they ALL seem more trouble than they're worth (and charge you for the privilege!). But a debit card would be useful.

Comment

Cash is, king!

Comment

Originally posted by 66freya View Post
            Thanks for reply,and info. At the time I thought stick with the devil you know (or more to the point, who - theoretically - knows YOU). Also, because Santander does 'know' me and if I went to another bank, they wouldn't (know me). Also, without lengthening reply with details, I don't have utility bills, passport, etc. My pension giros are sent to me c/o the Post Office, where I cash them. I don't have housing benefit/council tax accounts - to all intents I'm a persona non grata. In reality, I thought I could do without a bank account - not least they ALL seem more trouble than they're worth (and charge you for the privilege!). But a debit card would be useful.
            In your original thread you said that you had an account that was moved when the bank was taken over, can you clarify those points please?
            Do you have a notification from the benefits office stating your right to benefits ie state pension?
            "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
            (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Well, I still think you should fight the cause for the principle as it is insane that a simple transfer that has nothing to do with you, just B&B changing into Santander should have created such a pain in the bum for you, but if you don't need an account, you can have a prepaid debit card.

I have only just started using a bank account myself after a long period without simply due to my ex paying child maintenance through standing order. Before then it was withdraw benefits at post office and using a prepay debit card for online stuff, and bills were cash at paypoint.

Have you spoken to your MP ? That might be a avenue to try - TheyWorkForYou.com: Are your MPs and Peers working for you in the UK's Parliament? Hansard++ will help you get in touch with them.
              #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                Well, I still think you should fight the cause for the principle as it is insane that a simple transfer that has nothing to do with you, just B&B changing into Santander should have created such a pain in the bum for you, but if you don't need an account, you can have a prepaid debit card.

I have only just started using a bank account myself after a long period without simply due to my ex paying child maintenance through standing order. Before then it was withdraw benefits at post office and using a prepay debit card for online stuff, and bills were cash at paypoint.

Have you spoken to your MP ? That might be a avenue to try - TheyWorkForYou.com: Are your MPs and Peers working for you in the UK's Parliament? Hansard++ will help you get in touch with them.
                Thanks. I had read that up front debit cards haven't the same protection as bank debit cards. Also, if the company running them goes bust, you also lose your money. My MP is (ostensibly) a human rights barrister. I have approached him several times on issues - he even came to the (unfit for human habitation) property I was renting, avowing 'we must get you out of here..... He left so fast I could not see him for dust, nor did he do anything whatsoever - par for the course with him, as others have also found to their cost. If I want help, it will not be from a chocolate teapot, media groupie, jump on any other established bandwagon cuckoo. However, I took your advice and contacted watchdog@santander.co .uk - miracles (?) a response! (but don't hold your breath)

Comment

Worth a shot.....

Ref the debit card - if you get a VISA debit card - prepay or not you have the ability to do chargebacks - debit cards aren't covered by section 75 (the joint liability thing for purchases over £100 and under £30k) - but Visa debit have a chargeback.. I'll have a hunt see what info I can find for you.

Well that was quick;....Chargeback on credit and debit cards - Your rights when paying by credit card - Sale of goods - Which? Consumer Rights

Chargeback is a process that allows you to reverse a transaction if you are unhappy with the item received or if your credit or debit card has been used fraudulently.
                  Chargeback is not enshrined in law like section 75, but is part of Scheme Rules, which participating banks subscribe to. It applies to all Visa debit cards, and can also be used for Visa credit card purchases where section 75 is not applicable – for goods costing less than £100 for instance. It also covers prepaid Visa cards and Visa Electron purchases.
                  I have a Virgin mastercard prepay and an O2 visa prepay card.

(mastercard one is useful for booking fights with ryanair as bizarrely you dont have a booking fee with it)
                  Last edited by Amethyst; 3rd February 2011, 17:38:PM.
                  #staysafestayhome

Comment

thanks for your continued help. I will try it (visa debit card).

Comment

I'm lost on this one, leclerc is asking a question but is not getting an answer, santander took over bradford and bingley, i had 2 accounts with bradford and bingley and both were transfered into santander accounts. Are u saying that your bradford and bingley account which at one point was open(did u have any money in y/n), then all of a sudden just was closed.....So what your saying is that your existing account with b and b wasn't transferred.

I'm i right to say that your account didn't have any money in it and that it had been dormant for some time,, i say this because if your account had some money in, it would have been transferred, because of the money and had it been closed you would have been given your money back.....is this right.

Ps if its ageism then you could well talk to help the aged
                      Last edited by roksee; 28th February 2011, 20:39:PM. Reason: more infor

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X