• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Mad Hatter v Nat West ~~ SETTLED ~~

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10th March 2007

Ok, letter time....

Response to settlement offer without prejudice

Dear Sirs

Thank you for your letter dated 8th March 2007.

Firstly, may I thank you for your prompt response to my letter and subsequent documents that were faxed on 7th March.

I respectfully decline your clients offer as Full and Final settlement and I will accept the sum offered only as part settlement and on the clear understanding that I will pursue recovery of the remainder.

I do not accept partially or in full your client’s insistence on complete confidentiality, either now or in the future. I see neither a legal necessity for a confidentiality clause, nor any reason to request one. Confidentiality is a service which I may be prepared to offer, but this would be subject to a separate and negotiable fee. Until said fee is agreed upon and paid, no confidentiality agreement will be accepted. However, I may reconsider my position should your client pay the full claim by 4pm on Thursday.

I also note the conditions in the fourth paragraph of your letter. I confirm that I will be happy to continue to bank with your client in accordance with its Terms & Conditions. On page 5 of those conditions, in section 1a, under the heading of ‘General’, it states “If your address is in Scotland, Scottish law applies to the contract between you and us. If you live elsewhere, English law applies to the contract between you and us.” I live in England and will accept any charges that are applied to my account in accordance and compliance with English law. If your client does not intend to comply with the law, please let me know so that I can make alternative arrangements.

You have also stated in your letter that ‘the interest rate 29.69% is a mathematical average’, but may I draw your attention to the fact that I have never quoted said interest rate in any correspondence. In fact I have only ever used the rate of 29.50% which your client used, and is printed on my statements.

I note that you have raised a point in your letter regarding the unauthorised interest rate which indicates that your client has fully, or partially, calculated what the interest debited to my account in respect of the charges involved in this claim actually is. Submitting those figures would help your client's defence to better comply with CPR Part 16.

The figure in my claim is not an average: it is calculated at your client's published 'unauthorised overdraft rate' which appears on my statements. If your client believes it has an alternative version of events, then I am surprised it has not already presented it as part of its defence.

May I also remind your client that unauthorised interest rate is charged whenever an account holder exceeds his or her overdraft facility, that these charges are levied when either a payment takes an account holder into unauthorised overdraft, or a payment is refused because it would take the account into unauthorised overdraft. your clients Terms and Conditions makes it very clear that the 'unauthorised rate' will continue to be levied until the account is returned to order - within agreed borrowing limits.

I do not have the computer, technological and other resources of a large financial institution to help me in calculating day-to-day interest. I have done my best to arrive at an accurate figure using the resources that are available to me. I will be prepared to consider an offer from your client that accurately reflects the actual interest it has debited to my account, whether at the authorised or unauthorised rate, on a day-to-day basis, plus an additional amount to reflect and recompense the denial of benefit I have suffered as a result of your client's actions.

I am fully confident that my claim will be successful in court and therefore am prepared to carry on with my litigation against your client should the need arise. I am also aware of the judgement decided upon in Reading County Court only this week, where your defence was struck out for ‘an abuse of process’. I am confident that once my AQ is filed my case will have a similar outcome. However, as stated in previous correspondence I am mindful of this case wasting more time and resource of the courts and am prepared to settle this matter immediately.

Therefore I look forward to receiving your client's revised offer, either by Royal Mail at the address above, by electronic mail at xxxxxxxxxxx, by telephone on xxxxxxxxxxx or finally by fax on xxxxxxxxx

If you do not accept my conditions for acceptance, or you do not respond by 4pm on Thursday 15th March, I shall return the cheque to you and continue with my claim against your client, issuing my Allocation Questionnaire for Judge McCourt’s perusal.

well, job done.. god knows what they will say to that....lol
    Pearls of Wisdom.

Be true to yourself and be strong.
    Be happy with whatever life has dealt you.
    You can never have too many friends... or too many shoes.

Comment

15th March 2007

Oh well, deadline passed.......I even emailed them today as well but still no response...... its a trip down to the courthouse for me tomorrow with my AQ..
      Pearls of Wisdom.

Comment

20th March 2007

well there isn't a lot else i can do now, faxed Cobbets 3 times last week in an effort to settle but nothing came back.. and on each letter i had put about the AQ deadline...

Still, copies of everything will now go before a judge this week and hopefully he/she will see that every effort has been made...
        Pearls of Wisdom.

Comment

26th March 2007

Rang the court today.. case is still with the judge, he has to decide what to do with it apparently as Cobbets still haven't filed an AQ...

So i'm still none the bloody wiser...LOL
          Pearls of Wisdom.

Comment

2nd April 2007

Called the court today and apparently it has been referred to a District Judge for a review on the 27th March..The original judge had it on 22nd March!!.. Still no AQ from NW either...
            Pearls of Wisdom.

Comment

12th April

ok so now we have some movement.. had a letter from the court today saying..

Before District Judge ***** sitting at LCC it is ordered that:

Unless by the 18th April the defendent files a completed AQ the defence and any counterclaim shall be struck out without further order.

The AQ was due in on the 16th March!!
              Pearls of Wisdom.

Comment

14th April

Right, here is todays update.. 2 letters to sign for....

Letter 1.. the AQ...

A. Settlement....NO
                B. Location....NO
                D. Track... FAST TRACK..???
                E. 3 Hours
                F. Directions...NO
                G.Costs to date...£300
                Overall Costs estimate.... Nothing completed

In the section for 'any other information you consider will help the judge to manage the claim'.....

The Defendent views the claim to be settled and the defendent expects the claimant to be writing to the Court with a otice of discontinuance...

And this is why... here is letter 2....

i won't type it all out but basically..

'our client is prepared to make an additional goodwill payment of £508. Please find enclosed a settlement cheque for £158.
                This payment is in respect of interest on your account when you have exceeded your OD facility as detailed in your statements. (I never claimed any of this interest in my claim, but i did mention it in a later letter that i sent when trying to settle with Cobbets). We confirm that our client is raising a further cheque for £350 in respect of court costs.

We reiterate the points in our previous letter that payment does not inc an amount for contractual int on charges at a rate of 29.65% (i actually claimed 29.5%). Our client views this matter as cincluded and awaits a Notice of Disc. If you fail to provide us with a completed NoD we will apply to the court for an order that the remainder of the claim be dismissed. Furthermore we reserve the right to refer to this letter on the issue of costs'...

So, something else to get my teeth into..

remember, they paid me half of the claim, plus todays little bit that i hadn't even claimed for!!
                Pearls of Wisdom.

Comment

4th May
                  The confidentiality clause basically tell me to keep the whole thing quiet.. bit late now tho don't you think!!!!

To me, they are asking for something that is totally unacceptable.. Who the hell do they think they are!!!! Me keeping quiet about THEM paying me MY money back...

So as far as i am concerned i think that a judge will also find this unacceptable and therefore i have something other than CI to go to court on.
                  Pearls of Wisdom.

Comment

21st May 2007

Ok so now the end has come for me on this one....

NW just wouldn't budge on the contractual.. had another GWG cheque come through and Cobbets also applied to have the case struck out..

Have now decided to discontinue the claim, having had all of my charges, plus costs, plus interest that i didn't even claim, plus 8% and another little bit....

So i live to fight another day...

have sent another DPA for all of my statements dating from 1988 - 2000... 3 times now they have sent another lot of statements dated 2000 - 2006 so a non compliance letter was in the post today...

to be continued..........
                    Pearls of Wisdom.

Comment

Lol Mad you could try and sound slightly pleased with getting that lot back.
                      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Oh i am more than happy to have had back more that i could have hoped for.. but....... just feel with a bit more confidence a a little more knowledge i could have had these jumping thru even more whoops...

MAD
                        Pearls of Wisdom.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X