• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Council tax / bailiff help please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council tax / bailiff help please

Where to start lol ! My partner lives with me and she Got a visit from Rossendales bailiffs on Tuesday 30/4/14 with regards to a final notice for a liability order/warrant of execution (although this is the first time they have been in contact) regarding four outstanding council tax bills £2,241-76 plus £315-13 bailiff costs!
    The letter was thrown over my gate as it is locked so they couldn't put it through the letterbox, my partner was paying the council a reduced amount ( she is currently on the sick )but payment I think was sporadic , but she is classed as vulnerable and has not been in a right frame of mind to cope for a long time.

anyway,yesterday morning after the bailiff threw the letter off , I rang the bailiff on my partners behalf , and got nowhere I told him that the property ( rented was mine ) and all possessions were mine which they are but he said he wanted to come back so I could verify that everything was mine, I politely told him in no uncertain terms he isn't putting one foot inside my property and that my partner is a vulnerable person and doesn't need this right now , he then just hung up on me .

Today, Tuesday I rang the bailiff again and he was again very unhelpful, I asked him if needed could a payment plan be setup , bearing in mind my partner is in receipt of benefits , I told him about her vunerabillity, he was not concerned about this one bit , so back on the phone to the council , who said talk to the bailiff, I told them I tried but they are not interested.

So at the moment, we are at a stalemate, my partner seen her Dr's today and explained about this , and the Dr is going to write a letter so that the council and Rossandales are aware of the situation, do you think this might help ?she's not refusing to pay the tax but we are not in any financial state to pay that amount in one go .

any other suggestions, much appreciated

thank you . Pasha

Ps also got an appointment with CAB on the 21/5/14
    Tags: None

Re: Council tax / bailiff help please

Nearly a month for an appt at the CAB - how helpful is that ! not.

I'll flag your post up for the bailiff help guys, there's quite strict rules around treatment of vulnerable people xx
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Pasha View Post
      Where to start lol ! My partner lives with me and she Got a visit from Rossendales bailiffs on Tuesday 30/4/14 with regards to a final notice for a liability order/warrant of execution (although this is the first time they have been in contact) regarding four outstanding council tax bills £2,241-76 plus £315-13 bailiff costs!
      The letter was thrown over my gate as it is locked so they couldn't put it through the letterbox, my partner was paying the council a reduced amount ( she is currently on the sick )but payment I think was sporadic , but she is classed as vulnerable and has not been in a right frame of mind to cope for a long time.

anyway,yesterday morning after the bailiff threw the letter off , I rang the bailiff on my partners behalf , and got nowhere I told him that the property ( rented was mine ) and all possessions were mine which they are but he said he wanted to come back so I could verify that everything was mine, I politely told him in no uncertain terms he isn't putting one foot inside my property and that my partner is a vulnerable person and doesn't need this right now , he then just hung up on me .

Today, Tuesday I rang the bailiff again and he was again very unhelpful, I asked him if needed could a payment plan be setup , bearing in mind my partner is in receipt of benefits , I told him about her vunerabillity, he was not concerned about this one bit , so back on the phone to the council , who said talk to the bailiff, I told them I tried but they are not interested.

So at the moment, we are at a stalemate, my partner seen her Dr's today and explained about this , and the Dr is going to write a letter so that the council and Rossandales are aware of the situation, do you think this might help ?she's not refusing to pay the tax but we are not in any financial state to pay that amount in one go .

any other suggestions, much appreciated

thank you . Pasha

Ps also got an appointment with CAB on the 21/5/14

First thing you need to do is stop talking to the bailiff's! They are recruited from the pool of life's rejects and use bullying tactics to scare you into paying so they can get paid, scum of the earth!

Ring the council direct and ask them to have the debt returned to them and explain the circumstances to them as you have done to us here.

If you are able to make an arrangement to pay the bill by more regular payments or by direct debit then they cannot refuse to accept your payments.

Comment

Were the arrears accrued before you were a couple, and/or at a different address?

Comment

Thanks, for that info like I said I have rang the council several times only to be told to speak direct to the bailiff , which I am now going to refuse to, bloody parasites !
          I will ring the council first thing in the morning and insist again that we will deal direct with them, but they were adamant that we speak with the bailiff . But I refuse to enter into any contract with bailiffs .
          the downside at the moment is my partner is scared about possible imprisoment over this . Where do we stand if said bailiff turns up again , I will not let him inside property , can they do anything ?

Thanks pasha

Comment

Originally posted by bizzybob View Post
            Were the arrears accrued before you were a couple, and/or at a different address?
            My partner had the arrears before I met her buzzybob and at her old address we are just trying to make a fresh start together

Thank's pasha

Comment

Hi
              Ive had the same problem myself.

In the end I had attachment of earnings, and two debt collectors letters.

In the end after phone calls and letters they would not come to a agreement, I contact council tax stopper paid a admin fee and they contacted the council for me and got them to stop the bailiffs. and arrange a payment plan. Not sure if there are charities that can do this but I was in rush.

I'm dealing with Step change for debt problems and shelter, they are fab

Hope you get it sorted x

Comment

Originally posted by smithyC1982 View Post
                Hi
                Ive had the same problem myself.

In the end I had attachment of earnings, and two debt collectors letters.

In the end after phone calls and letters they would not come to a agreement, I contact council tax stopper paid a admin fee and they contacted the council for me and got them to stop the bailiffs. and arrange a payment plan. Not sure if there are charities that can do this but I was in rush.

I'm dealing with Step change for debt problems and shelter, they are fab

Hope you get it sorted x
                Thank you smithy, it's very frustrating for sure, we have looked at these bailiff stopping schemes on the net but was unsure of these .
                we have an appointment with CAB on the 21/5/14 a long way off I know !

Thanks pasha

Comment

If I was you the CAB are good but you get referred to advises who special in the subject.
                  Personally as I'm such a mess with money, I would contact Shelter or Step Change, national debt line as CAB will probably refer you they can do it all over the phone its all free x
                  As Shelter are involved with myself as my mortgage company have applied for a eviction on a suspended possession order.
                  Hope you get it sorted

Comment

Originally posted by smithyC1982 View Post
                    If I was you the CAB are good but you get referred to advises who special in the subject.
                    Personally as I'm such a mess with money, I would contact Shelter or Step Change, national debt line as CAB will probably refer you they can do it all over the phone its all free x
                    As Shelter are involved with myself as my mortgage company have applied for a eviction on a suspended possession order.
                    Hope you get it sorted
                    Is the mortgage company the likes of Kensington or Redstones by any chance? Suspended Possession Orders is the usual modus operandi of these and similar lenders. Are the arrears made made up mainly of fees? If this is the case, contact the FCA and FOS first thing tomorrow. Also, get some legal representation - asap.
                    Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

The EA is behaving like a complete idiot - and so is the local authority that hired Rossendales. Get your ward councillors and MP involved. The latter can bend Eric Pickles' ear about your case and, perhaps, persuade him to go and sit on the EA and then the CEO of the local authority. The sort of behaviour being demonstrated by Rossendales and the local authority is unacceptable.
                      Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

The advice at CAB is variable, you will get better here.

The first thing you need to learn is not to speak to the Bailiffs on the phone - they have very selective memories when it comes to recalling what was said. You do need to establish some facts first.

You need to speak to someone at the Council and ask the following questions:
                        1 - how many Liability Orders they have against you
                        2 - the dates they were obtained
                        3 - the addresses they were for
                        4 - the period of time each covers
                        5 - how much each one was for
                        6 - how much is still outstanding
                        7 - the dates they were passed on for enforcement
                        8 - the dates & amounts of any payments

You should also be asking the Bailiff for a full breakdown of what they are charging fees for - use Letter 1 from the Useful Letters in the Stickies.

You mention she is vulnerable, whilst it is OK to say this it must be backed up with proof - for Benefits, an award notice & for illness a letter from a medical professional. Any letter should be sent to both Council & Bailiffs.

Comment

Do you live within the same Local Authority as that where the debt is incurred?

Comment

Originally posted by ploddertom View Post
                            Do you live within the same Local Authority as that where the debt is incurred?
                            Ok, thanks for the reply we are situated in S Devon but the tax arrears are with Cornwall council.
                            With regards to the other info she needs she is getting a letter from her GP explaining that side of things and she has paperwork regarding her entitlement for benefit .
                            Will the council give us the other info you say over the phone ? Or should I ask for this in a letter

Thanks again , pasha

Comment

The Council should be able to give you that info over the phone, mind Cornwall are noted for being useless and uncooperative, so you may have to write.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X