• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Equita chasing previous tenant debt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Equita chasing previous tenant debt

Posted on behalf of new user

> I keep receiving correspondence re debts from previous tenant
    > Why should I incur costs to resolve this matter including contacting bailiffs etc
    > When it's nothing to do with me
    > Equita has a web form which I attempted to complete and yet it has no "send" option
    > I phoned them and was told I have I write to them , I have to spend time writing a letter copying id such as utility bills and then pay for registered mail
    > Their response was its their problem the website doesn't work
    > Every day I get about 5 letters for the person who either lived here or provided this address fraudulently
    > Non payment of parking and fixed penalties council tax unpaid
    > Credit cards used fraudulently and now the bailiffs threatening to remove MY property
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps
    Tags: None

Re: Equita chasing previous tenant debt

You do not have to prove anything. It is up to them to prove that X lives there.

Do not send them personal information, copies of utility bills, etcetera. These can be misused.

Although it is annoying, unless you take action, this situation will escalate. Some expense is inevitable.

Do not telephone or email as these can be denied. All correspondence in writing. Keep copies.

Bailiffs cannot remove your property for the previous tenants debt. If they turn up and try it, or otherwise become threatening, call the Police.

Write, stating that:

"[Insert name of company] are put On Notice that X does not live at this address.

I have been receiving confidential correspondence intended for a third party not resident at this address. Your database is therefore incorrect. Please correct it and ensure that no further correspondence of this nature is received. You are reminded of your obligations under the Data Protection Act 1998".

Use this letter for everyone pursuing the previous tenant. Do not sign it with your usual signature, as it could be copied and then pasted onto other documents.

Comment

Reply from new user:

Thanks

I did send them copies of bills , council tax ,phone, insurance to avoid any problems I thought it sd be ok

In fact I also emailed Northampton county court who had issued it

I have notified the council as well however they are aware I live there

When I did it online of course they acknowledge but there is no reference and no proof so I also sent it registered mail today

I blocked out my phone account number bill number, insurance policy number

I used my normal signature however confirmed all future correspondence to 3rd parties will be destroyed
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Which council is it?

The reason I ask is that the council is infested by Crapita, so it will probably be necessary to write to the CEO to get a sensible response.

Comment

New user could send them a Statutory Declaration regarding the non residence of the named debtor with a covering letter as a Letter Before Action, stating that they now consider the matter closed, and require payment of the invoice enclosed for the reasonable expenses incurred including cost of Stat Dec within 14 calendar days. failure to pay may result in further action. Might focus their grasping minds, to play them at their own game.

Comment

Message from new user (I have asked him to register btw)

Barnet council.

They have my details and I pay my council tax so in that respect it shouldn't be an issue

Although I don't know what the debt is for as there are so many. Anyhow I can prove who I am and will just dispose of any further correspondence not addressed to myself or my partner
            #staysafestayhome

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
              Barnet council.
              Them again.

Chief Operating Officer & Director of Finance

Mr Chris Naylor
              Building 4, North London Business Park Oakleigh Road South London N11 1NP
              chris.naylor@barnet.gov.uk

Chief Executive

Mr Andrew Travers
              Building 2, North London Business Park Oakleigh Road South London N11 1NP
              andrew.travers@barnet.gov.uk
              Tel: 020 8359 7850

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X