• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

What do you think of this F7 for Council Tax?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think of this F7 for Council Tax?

I've had a couple of other threads where I've received helpful advice from the good folk here, regarding recent bailiff action. My CT liability relating to these LO's is now paid, apart from a disputed amount on a second F7 which comprises part of a complaint to the council. So I'm not looking for urgent help here, but I would be grateful if you would tell me what you think about this first F7. Or, comment on what I think... thanks!

General stuff: CT amount isn't disputed, name and address and other details etc. are correct. I had previously had warning letters through the door (I know, should have dealt with it sooner.) The F7 was put through the door while no-one was home, and the bailiff left. The car wasn't clamped. The white blocks on the image are my redacted details.

My questions:

1) Levy on a vehicle; I believe becomes an Abandoned Levy when the bailiff leaves the property without leaving a helper behind, or having a signed Walking Possession Agreement...

2) ...So, what the bailiff wrote is nonsense; threatening and misleading, certainly, but does it have any more serious legal implications for them? "This vehicle has now been levied. Do not move unless authorised by Ross & Roberts. Removal on hold unless no contact is made with..." etc.

3) Bailiff Costs £293. OK, I'm aware of the £24.50 and £18, so can they put something like this on an F7 for council tax that they have just put through your door? I think not. Where do they stand legally on this? Is this something like 'demanding money with menaces'? (Is that a real thing?) Or Fraud? This amount on the F7 is quite clearly a demand for money, not a warning of what might be incurred; it says "Total amount if paid today".

4) Bailiff Costs £293 (inc VAT). As the allowed £24.50 and £18 charges don't include VAT, what are they referring to here? Do you think HMRC might like to know about this?

Thanks for your thoughts.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by TVJonesClassic; 7th January 2014, 22:14:PM. Reason: make it at least partially intelligible.

Tags: None

Re: What do you think of this F7 for Council Tax?

Iain Mervyn Bowdige - for it is he - should know better.

He seems to have charged removal costs as an "up-front fee" - that is, he seems to have charged for work not (yet?) done.

On a debt of £460.78, the levy fee would be £ 24.50 + 360.78 x 0.04 = £ 38.93

Even adding in £42.50 for two visit fees, the levy fee would only be £ 24.50 + £16 + 9p = £ 40.59

Comment

Oh dear, I think we have evidence of upfront fee fraud, pre loading charges for work not done.

Comment

It does look odd, doesn't it?

Ross & Robbers should be asked to itemise all their charges and when they were applied.

Comment

Oh dear Crapita and it's greedy minions strikes again. Is this also a Crapita council?

Comment

Yes, bb. Capita run the Council Tax department and Customer Services for Mendip District Council. Complain on the phone to "the council" and you're stonewalled by Capita, who own Ross & Roberts. Try to take it further and they put you through to Customer Services, who are owned by Capita, who... hang on, haven't we been here before?

Cleverclogs, I do have replies to my requests for a fee breakdown, I'll post later if anyone's interested. I'd like to leave my initial questions as the main focus for the moment.

Thanks for the mentions of advance fee fraud. Any thoughts on the legality of the threatening language used in the text, or the mention of VAT?

Comment

Originally posted by TVJonesClassic View Post
              Yes, bb. Capita run the Council Tax department and Customer Services for Mendip District Council. Complain on the phone to "the council" and you're stonewalled by Capita, who own Ross & Roberts. Try to take it further and they put you through to Customer Services, who are owned by Capita, who... hang on, haven't we been here before?

Cleverclogs, I do have replies to my requests for a fee breakdown, I'll post later if anyone's interested. I'd like to leave my initial questions as the main focus for the moment.

Thanks for the mentions of advance fee fraud. Any thoughts on the legality of the threatening language used in the text, or the mention of VAT?
              Ask Crapita if they are compliant with the Human Rights Act 1998. Penny to a pound, they'll claim it doesn't apply to them. That's when you spoil their day and read out Section 6 of the Act over the phone to one of their managers and listen to his/her reaction. My suspicion is that Crapita are under the belief they are untouchable. Er, wrong. Same applies to Ross & Roberts and Mendip Council.
              Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Thanks bb. I'll look into that.

Comment

The obvious questions are:
                  1. Do you own the motor car, or is the subject of any hire purchase, lease or finance agreement?
                  2. Do you actually keep the V5 document in the motor car?

Comment

Cleverclogs,

1) No issues with the car, it's mine etc.
                    2) No, I don't keep the V5 in the car.

Comment

I'd like to leave my initial questions as the main focus for the moment.
                      My take on your questions:

1 - Wrong
                      2 - Wrong - the vehicle is still yours and can be used in its normal manner, only difference being that the goods may be removed for sale following any default or non-payment of the sums outstanding.
                      3 - the fees demanded should have listed each fee that was added, it would be cassed as a minor technicality if complained about.
                      4 - no one is entitled to claim back the VAT element on Bailiff fees - not even businesses - so there is no provision for a Bailiff to provide a VAT receipt in the normal manner. As for Council Tax fees not listing VAT then this is because they are actually inclusive figures.

Comment

2) No, I don't keep the V5 in the car.
                        The description on the "form 7.5" suggests you do - how else could the bästärd bailiff seize the V5 and the vehicle keys?

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                          The description on the "form 7.5" suggests you do - how else could the bästärd bailiff seize the V5 and the vehicle keys?
                          Yes, another 'request' with dubious legality? Though I had assumed the V5 would have to go with the car if ownership is transferred, so I hadn't questioned that. Or I could be wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by ploddertom View Post
                            My take on your questions:

1 - Wrong
                            Ploddertom, did you mean my assumption of Abandoned Levy was wrong, or the F7's claim of a levy being in force was wrong?

Comment

Abandoned levy was wrong.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X