• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

How to apply for a Court order to get an unlawful clamp removed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to apply for a Court order to get an unlawful clamp removed

What kind of proceedings do I need to issue to get a court order against a bailiff ordering him to remove an unlawfully applied car clamp? Please be specific , i.e. what is the exact wording of the order am I seeking, what kind of court do I apply to, what forms to I use to apply for the order, what do I put on the forms. Do I issue the proceedings against the individual bailiff or the firm he works for? I want to issue proceedings against the bailiff or his company NOT the local authority
    Background is the car is owed by a limited company (and this can be proved). The car has been clamped under a council tax liability order against an individual. Bailiff has been made aware that car is owned by third party but has refused to remove clamp.
    Only documentation left through letter box when car was clamped was “Removal Notice (car details) clamped to be removed. Magistrates Liability order dated xxx arrears of council tax due to xxx total outstanding xxx, I have today attended your premises with the intention of levying and removing your goods and chattels to the auction value of xxx. I will be re-attending and goods may be removed even in your absence. If you wish to avoid this distressing course of action Telephone Immediately”
    Options I’ve already considered but can’t see that they would work are
    1. Issuing an interpleader summons. Can’t do that as car has not been actually seized, only clamped. No valid levy has been made (or if it had it has been abandoned) so can’t use interpleader route
    2. Issuing proceedings under Torts (Interference with Goods) Act 1977. S3 looks the most promising. However the relief available is only for delivery of the goods and/or damages. The goods haven’t been removed, just clamped
    3. Issuing form 4 complaint against bailiff, Not a good idea as potential to be very expensive if costs are awarded. Also only deals with Bailiff fitness to hold certificate, does nothing on getting clamp removed
    4. Issuing proceedings under Protection from Harassment Act 1997 S3. Difficult as owner of vehicle is a company, not a person, and act appears to be very much aimed at protecting real persons from harassment
    5. Issuing proceedings under The Council Tax (Administration and Enforcement) Regulations 1992, Section 46. Looks promising but is only available against levy or attempt to levy. No valid levy appears to have been made, merely the car has been clamped. Also this route only appears available to the person that the levy was aimed against, not a third party company

Note that the advice sought for now is just to get a court to order the clamp removed. The financial lost incurred, hire of other cars, time, and trouble, is a question for another day once the clamp has been removed

Any advice gratefully received and will post success/non-success story
    Tags: None

Re: How to apply for a Court order to get an unlawful clamp removed

Cutting the clamp off ?

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
      Cutting the clamp off ?
      No thanks. Want to go court order route.

Comment

Fair enough someone may know the route to take in court have you contacted the bailiffs and council ?

Comment

Originally posted by larcy View Post
          Issuing proceedings under Torts (Interference with Goods) Act 1977. S3 looks the most promising. However the relief available is only for delivery of the goods and/or damages. The goods haven’t been removed, just clamped.
          It might be argued that clamping the vehicle has made it unavailable for use. Thus, it should be 'delivered' back to the legitimate owner and user. Similarly, if the user has suffered loss and inconvenience as a result of the clamping, damages may be appropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by larcy View Post
            No thanks. Want to go court order route.
            You could get a locksmith (or if appropriate, a knowledgable mechanic), to remove the clamp. You then seize the clamp, pending satisfaction of your claim.

Comment

There are two civil issues that apply -

1. Unlawful Interference with Property; and
              2. Unlawful Detention of Property.

It might be worth contacting the DVLA Data Access Unit and enquiring as to whether anyone has made any enquiries in respect of the vehicle in the last 180 days. Do not ask whom, only if anyone has. If DVLA confirm no-one has made any enquiries, then the bailiff, their employers and the council hiring them are on dodgy ground. Clamping a vehicle that belongs to a third party is a no-no.

The limited company, as the registered owner/keeper of the vehicle, will need to deal with the bailiff. However, checking with DVLA as to whether the bailiff has conducted any checks as to ownership is a step that needs to be taken.
              Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

The Council are ultimately responsible for this. You say you have shown proof to the Bailiff and he has ignored. Provide the proof instead to the Council via FAX or email with a copy being sent to the Bailiffs Office. Done now you give them until the end of business today to comply.

Comment

This final post (#8) is by far the easiest path to tread over this issue. It will save you hours of work!

Comment

Originally posted by ploddertom View Post
                    The Council are ultimately responsible for this. You say you have shown proof to the Bailiff and he has ignored. Provide the proof instead to the Council via FAX or email with a copy being sent to the Bailiffs Office. Done now you give them until the end of business today to comply.
                    Totally agree, but it's even better by recorded delivery to both, at least you are going to get signatures.
                    The Black rat (Rattus rattus) is a common (hence the accusation of being Pleb) long-tailed rodent of the genus Rattus (rats) in the subfamily Murinae (murine rodents). The species originated in tropical Asia and spread through the Near East in Roman times (another thing that we ought to thanks the Romans for, besides roads, aqueducts and public toilets) before reaching Europe by the 1st century and spreading with Europeans across the world.

A mutation of the beast now comes black leather clad, riding a motorcycle that looks like a battenbergh cake on wheels.

A skilled predator, totally ruthless with it's prey, but also known to be extremely generous in doling out tickes that can provide points for motorists who want to downsize from mechanically propelled vehicles to bycicles.

It's a dirty job, but someone got to do it!

My opinions are free to anyone who wishes to make them theirs, but please be advised that my opinions might change without warning once more true facts are ascertained

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X