• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Ahhhh will I ever learn......?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ahhhh will I ever learn......?

Well I suppose that should have actually been will I ever have enough money not to keep getting into this situation?! Probably not.

But anyway, I have learned something from my last experience and my friends on here who helped me last time. Here's what's been occurring -

LO granted for unpaid CT from last year, £384.12 is original amount. Bailiffs sent their usual threaty type correspondence (with £350 fees added yet not explained!) which I ignored. Emailed council requesting they retake the debt and I pay them, or they apply for AOE which I will comply with fully. Return of debt refused, no mention of AOE at all, just told me to deal with bailiffs.

Well I'm not. Have been paying council online and all doors/windows locked. Don't have a car so that's not a problem. I intend to keep on doing this and not respond to the bailiffs at all this time. I have kept letters from/to council with my suggestion of AOE and receipts to prove payments.

What do my learned friends think will happen now? Just cannot deal with these jokers again and they can go whistle for any more than their £42.50 quite frankly, and on that note, can I pay that to the council too? Add it to the original amount?

I have been lurking by the way and popping in and out from time to time, hope you're all well and thank you for educating me last time so I am not rocking in a corner this time but rather doing something proactive!
    Tags: None

Re: Ahhhh will I ever learn......?

Hi friend

Am effectively bumping this for you for someone who knows how to respond

Turbs

Originally posted by Monzter View Post
    Well I suppose that should have actually been will I ever have enough money not to keep getting into this situation?! Probably not.

But anyway, I have learned something from my last experience and my friends on here who helped me last time. Here's what's been occurring -

LO granted for unpaid CT from last year, £384.12 is original amount. Bailiffs sent their usual threaty type correspondence (with £350 fees added yet not explained!) which I ignored. Emailed council requesting they retake the debt and I pay them, or they apply for AOE which I will comply with fully. Return of debt refused, no mention of AOE at all, just told me to deal with bailiffs.

Well I'm not. Have been paying council online and all doors/windows locked. Don't have a car so that's not a problem. I intend to keep on doing this and not respond to the bailiffs at all this time. I have kept letters from/to council with my suggestion of AOE and receipts to prove payments.

What do my learned friends think will happen now? Just cannot deal with these jokers again and they can go whistle for any more than their £42.50 quite frankly, and on that note, can I pay that to the council too? Add it to the original amount?

I have been lurking by the way and popping in and out from time to time, hope you're all well and thank you for educating me last time so I am not rocking in a corner this time but rather doing something proactive!

Comment

Thanks Turbs.........

Comment

With Council Tax the Bailiff Fees are paid first and any balance is paid towards the outstanding debt. You will need to establish whether the Council have paid these or not. If they haven't then there is nothing to stop you telling the Bailiff you have paid £xxx to the Council which are their fees so claim them.

Of course what you should have done for now is to get a breakdown of the fees they are charging. Chances are you will find a levy has been made on some fictitous item. Send Letter 1 from http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...Useful-Letters

Comment

Hi Monz, Ouchy Bailiff problems, take advice from Plods he understands these matters more than I do. You take care now and come back and update us, Tutts xx
          Originally posted by Turboman View Post
          Hi friend

Am effectively bumping this for you for someone who knows how to respond

Turbs

Comment

Thanks PT, thing is I don't want to enter into any correspondence with them at all, not deal with them at all.
            So if I sent the letter and received the breakdown, I don't want them to think that I am going to pay them anything. I am paying the council and will continue to do so. Basically does this oblige me to start paying them? Sorry if that sounds stupid........

Comment

Originally posted by TUTTSI View Post
              Hi Monz, Ouchy Bailiff problems, take advice from Plods he understands these matters more than I do. You take care now and come back and update us, Tutts xx
              Thank you Tutts, it's only due to the guys on here that I knew the course of action to take initially and not panic, not to ring them and not to get in the state I did last time. I'm eternally grateful for that!
              Of course by the time the council get around to sorting things out, I will have probably paid this off.......! Apparently my local council is shocking in all departments, not just CT have heard some real horror stories recently about their conduct regarding all different matters.

Comment

Well would it make more sense to contact the council offices with a letter asking them to confirm the breakdown of the bailiff fees. The trouble is that ignoring the bailiff wont make them go away and I think that you should be doing something pro-active to sort out your situation. You have young children at home and you certainly do not want the bailiffs getting in on your property and upsetting the kids. Just my thoughts x
                Thanks PT, thing is I don't want to enter into any correspondence with them at all, not deal with them at all.
                So if I sent the letter and received the breakdown, I don't want them to think that I am going to pay them anything. I am paying the council and will continue to do so. Basically does this oblige me to start paying them? Sorry if that sounds stupid........

Comment

Hi Monz - Nice to see you again, but sorry about the circumstances ! You're in good hands with PT, I reckon, so do follow his advice. I agree with Tuttsi, too, that perhaps you need to get this resolved with the Council, as it is they who have 'called the dogs out.' The dogs are just doing their job, and will continue with their war of attrition until they are called off - it's their job.

Also - as Tuttsi implies - do NOT underestimate the depths to which a bailiff will go to intimidate - and terrorise - you and your family, friends and neighbours.

Comment

If you don't query the fees then you don't know what you are paying for. It matters not that you write to them because you are not saying you are going to pay them. If they have had added spurious fees on then all the more reason for paying the Council direct as you cannot believe what the Bailiffs say.

Comment

Best to follow ploddertom's advice, ask the bailiffs for their fairytale breakdown, keep paying the council, and challenge any dodgy levy. The council are responsible for any bailiff dodgyness.
                      Last edited by bizzybob; 20th June 2013, 06:07:AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TUTTSI View Post
                        You have young children at home and you certainly do not want the bailiffs getting in on your property and upsetting the kids.
                        Or threatening to abduct them to sell off as "man-beef". (link)

Comment

Yes indeedy, as Plodder says - simply asking "What the **ck are all these charges for?" is NOT admitting that you are liable to pay them - it is putting them on the spot. Asking someone to support their allegations with hard evidence is something that any UK Court should support. If you do not dispute the original charge, then paying it would seem to be a final confirmation of this.

What you seem to be disputing is the "Sledgehammer to crack a walnut" approach that the council seems to have taken in order to collect this charge. FWIW, I have had the dogs called out to me for the very same reason, and dealing with the Council directly got the matter resolved. The dogs know who feeds them, and they respect that principle - even if they respect nowt else.

Comment

Apparently my local council is shocking in all departments, not just CT have heard some real horror stories recently about their conduct regarding all different matters.
                            Can you say which gang of bailiffs is involved?

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                              Or threatening to abduct them to sell off as "man-beef". (link)
                              ACTUALLY - following Cloggy's wonderful, yet wretchedly comedic - response...

Have you ensured the safety of the equine side of your 'family,' dear Monz ? These bailiffs will stop at nowt to distress you and yours - and there are still plenty of ways to dispose of our old friends - even though the likes of Tesco have (allegedly) withdrawn their "Every Little Helps" ingredient from their mass-produced, no questions asked, people-fodder.

Not a nice nice thought, I know - but neither is Cloggy. He still creases me up with his horrid - yet scarily factual - humour. Gawd rest his soul when the time comes...!!!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X