• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Need Information Urgently

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Information Urgently

I Am A One Parent Family I Received Letters About Council Tax From Newlyn Ballifs I Phoned Them They Were Rude To Me Saying I Could Not Pay The Council I Had To Pay Them They Said I Would Have To Pay 100 Pounds Per Week I Paid The First Payment Yesterday And I Just Cannot Afford This Time I Pay My Rent And Food I Have No Money Left For Bills I Phoned Them Back I Tried To Reason With Them To Drop The Payments And They Said If I Did Not Pay Or Miss A Payment They Would Come And Remove My Property Im Scared Stiff .
    I Have Send Them A Letter Today To Ask Them To Send The Charges They Have Put On Top Of The Bill
    When I Received These Letters None Of Them Were Signed So I Dont Know The Name Of The Ballif So I Can Do A Check On Him
    Is There Anyway I Can Get The Bill Reduced
    Thanks

Re: Need Information Urgent

You should not have telephoned the bailiff and you should not be believing them when it concerns how much you owe in council tax because as per the Bailiff Guide - bailiffs lie.

Have you found out from the council how much you actually owe? If not you should do this immediately. If at all possible make your payments to the council online as they cannot refuse to accept your payments.

As for getting the bill reduced, all you need do is ascertain precisely how much you owe in council tax and pay it. What charges have been added to this debt?

Comment

Re: Need Information Urgently

no i dont know exactly how much i have sent a letter today to islington council to ask how much i owe i have paid the baliff 100 pounds yesterday can i stop paying the ballifs and start making payments online to the council do i tell the ballifs im making payments to the council not them i have also wrote to the ballifs asking them to let me know what charges they have given me will the ballifs keep send people around to me and will they send someone with a van to try and take my stuff what happens to the charges to the debt do i pay it to the council or the ballifs when i find out how much

Comment

If the bailiffs have added fees when they have not actually carried out any work, or have charged fees that are not allowed, then you are quite within your rights to pay the council direct.

As for the van and removal of your goods, you need to read and fully understand the bailiff guide.

Comment

Thank You When I Spoke Newlyns She Did Say Fees Were Added Im Waiting To Hear From Them To See How Much Just One Last Question If I Start Paying The Council Will The Baliffs Stop Coming To My Door With Letters Should I Write To Them To Inform Them Im Now Paying The Debt To The Council
          Yes I Understand Now About The Van And Removal Of Goods Just Dont Let Them In But Will They Leave Me Alone Once I Start Paying The Council

Comment

All The Letters I Have Received From Newlyns Have Not Been Signed By The Ballif So How Can I Check Up On The Ballifs

Comment

You can't unless you have a name.

Comment

Thanks You Are A Star I Hope I Can Sleep Tonight
                Just One More Question
                If I Start To Pay The Council Do I Need To Tell Newlyn That Im Paying The Council The Debt Not Them
                And Will Newylns Stop Sending Ballifs To My Door

Comment

You don't need to tell Newlyn anything, but you should tell the council that you have already paid them £100.

However, that said if I were you and because you have already made a payment to them, I would write to Newlyn and say that your payments will be made direct to the council and that the council are waiting for Newlyn to forward the £100.

Be warned though, that the bailiffs are unlikely simply to give up so you must make sure that you keep all your doors and windows locked until they are forced to return the debt to the council - all as per the bailiff guide.

Comment

Thank You So Much I Feel A Lot Better Now I Will Do As You Say I Will Write To Newlyns Tonight And Post The Letter Tomorrow I Will Make Sure All Doors And Windows Are Locked I Live In The Basement So There Is Only One Way In Im Out To Work All Day
                    Thank You Again

Comment

You are very welcome xx

Come straight back here if you need any more help.

Comment

if there a time limit on how long the ballifs can keep coming to your property
                        do they call in the evenings
                        can they harrass me in the street ie outside my property

Comment

I have had a similar situation with Newlyn and my council tax arrears. I would agree with all the advice Amy has given you. I wrote to Newlyn to inform them that I had paid the council but they still continued to visit and to charge me for their visits even after the full amount had been paid back.

I have finally had the account put on hold by the council - this took 4 emails to the Chief Executive and two phone calls to the Head of Council tax - so would say it is really important you tell the council to ensure Newlyn are told to leave you alone, and keep harassing them until they do.

They can only charge you for two visits and cannot force entry into your home but will try to charge you as much as they think they can get away with. Their bailiff told me he could remove my front door to get access to my house - and I have been charged 2 levy fees and three van visits when no levy has even taken place.

Good luck!

Comment

Just be aware that unless you specify otherwise to your council, any payments you make will probably be allocated to the current years council tax, not to the arrears. make sure when you pay the council that you tell them it must be allocated towards the arrears.
                            Is no longer here

Comment

thank you charlie i have done what amy told me to do i have written a letter to newlyn to tell them i am paying islington council not them and for the 100 pounds i did pay them to send it to the council i have also wrote a letter to islington council to tell them about the 100 pound from newlyn and that im making payments to them not newlyn ive also asked them to tell me haow much i owe 4 letters from newlyns all different being a women on her own im really scared when they come around im not going to talk to them at all
                              how long does it take for them to stop coming to my property and the debt back to the council what happens if im going into my property and they are there on the doorstep

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X