• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

The Council and Direct Debits

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Council and Direct Debits

Did you when the Tax Credit increased try and find out why?
    You say it was for a Disability Cliam that you hadn't asked for, so did you enquire how it suddenly appeared and why it was being paid to you?
    I honestly think if you accepted this money even though you had not asked for it then you should have reported it. I think they can and will recover this money if you were not entitled to it, even though it was as you say their mistake.
    If this is the case and you have to repay the money then I would think your CT bill for that year should be amended accordingly.

Comment

I only noticed it this week when the council pointed out why I had been over paid. I just assumed my award was right as I first claimed TC 5 years ago and just renew every year. I thought it had gone up a bit due to the budget and with having 4 kids all different ages (11-18) my payments go up and down anyway with their ages changing etc so I didnt think anything of it. I checked they were paying me for 4 children and me and my partner and that the address was right but didnt notice the disability payment lower down in between all the other writing. I only noticed it last week as I read every word of my award. I did ring them to ask why they had added it when I hadnt asked for it and they just said it is up to me to check it and let them know although the law states they have to use your personal information accurately and if they dont you can apply to not pay them back. If you read up on TC complaints it tells you there.
      Many Thanks
      LavenderRose :thumb:

Comment

Well if you apply not to pay them back then I can't see how you can claim you have not been overpaid on your CT as you have infact had this money. That is just the way I see it someone else with more knowledge may say differently, I can see where you are coming from, I just doubt they will let you off for both though, but I wish you luck.
        Enaid x

Comment

Hi Lavender

Just an idea hun so don't shoot me please, basically what you are saying is that you have been overpaid various benefits/credits and that your CT has been paid short. Hopefully I have got that right ?
          Anyways if you want to get this sorted out, why don't you write to them all asking for statements of everything you have had and what you have paid out, explain that you want to get it all sorted out and straigtened and ask them to suspend any recovery action until its sorted out. That way you can get all the details together and work out where the problem is.
          What I would really, really beg you to do is STOP talking to any of them on the phone and state that you will do everything in writing only.
          When you send the letters, get a proof of posting and even send them Recorded Delivery that way you will have a record of who signed for your letters and you can keep it all neat and tidy in a file, in case its needed further down the line.

Comment

Enaid you have a point there, I didnt see if from that perspective, which is whats so good about this site. I think the best thing to do is what Sapphire has suggested and see how I get on. I dont mind paying the TC back as like you say, I have received the money, its just so annoying that a year later you find out someone hasnt done their job properly and you have then received a debt which with the credit crunch I could do without. Anyways, I`ll write to them both and see what response I get and I will let you know what they say.
            Many Thanks

LavenderRose

Comment

Well the council rang today regarding my letter and accepted full responsibility and said they should not have taken that amount. They said the computer took the rest of the years by mistake. They apologised and said they are sending me a cheque to cover petrol and car parking when I had to go to the bank and to compensate me for the inconvenience. I am quite pleased with that result and didnt expect a cheque so thats a bonus!
              Thanks everyone for your support, good result in the end.

LavenderRose

Comment

Great news well done
                #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

I am pleased they accepted it was their fault and indeed gave you a little compensation for what they put you through. Just wondered if you wrote to the bank at all about the fact they didn't put the money straight back in your account?

Comment

I did Enaid and im still waitin for a reply. As soon as I get it i`ll post it here. Its been a week and I still havnt had my cheque from the council yet.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X