• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help visit from Phillips !!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help visit from Phillips !!

I have recently left my partner and am now a single mum of 2 living in temp accommodation the other end of the country.

My partner called me today saying 2 bailiffs from Phillips have been round with a warrant for my arrest for non payment of fines for £535 !!

I don't know what this fine is for, and have never had a visit previously to discuss this matter !!

I have e-mailed Phillips today querying the fine and have yet heard back off them.

I am now very worried as I have no income and don't want to arrested as my 2 children only have me here !

Please advise on what to do !!!!

Re: Help visit from Phillips !!

Did your ex-partner give any reference numbers/further details? You could check with the Fines Dept at your previous locations magistrates court as they should be able to tell you if there is anything against you.

How long ago did you leave that property ? Any letters prior to then, with a warrant it would be something like unpaid tv licence, a driving offence fine or possibly parking ticket ? It would also have had to have gone through a the courts before reaching this stage.

An arrest warrant would usually be issues to bring you before the court, where you can make your offer to pay (if its a legitimate fine) - this would be set at an affordable amount based on your circumstances.

Someone else will be along shortly who is much more up to date on these issues than I am, but I would try contacting the fines dept at court with your previous details save you worrying.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

thanks for that, he gave me a reference number which I found on the Phillips website, confirming the amount and a warrant issued, but not what for !
      I left there just under 2 weeks ago and know I have had no previous correspondence or visits as, as a couple we were getting debt advice from CARA and i would have added it to the pile !!
      I will try and contact the courts back home and see what they say.

Comment

I think it is much more likely that this is a Distress Warrant or possibly a Warrant of Execution.

A Distress Warrant would be for non payment of a magistrate's fine, such as non payment of a TV licence or other driving offences. Do you know if you had/have a valid TV licence?

If it were for non payment of parking fines then it is more likely to be a Warrant of Execution.

Was any paperwork left?

Comment

It wouldnt be parking fines as I have never had them and haven't been driving for over 2 years !
          Could be the TV Licence as i didnt have one for a couple of months when my partner got made redundant and i stopped the payments ! I had a visit ages ago from a man from tv licencing and he set up a new one for me then, which is still current.
          What is a distress warrant??

Comment

A Distress Warrant just means that the original fine is a Magistrate's fine and therefore criminal as opposed to civil.

You really need to find out what this is for and to check you have a current TV licence. TV licensing are notorious for getting things wrong.

Comment

I have a current tv licence, just paid the next payment and changed the address on it to where I am currently living, I have also e-mailed Phillips with my reference number asking what the fine is for
              Should I do anything else or wait for Phillips to get back to me?
              I am now living 200 miles away from the address that they attended, and cant afford to travel back there to attend that court, as i am now a single mother of 2 on benefits.

Comment

Just sit tight until Philips get back to you, there isn't anything more you can do.

You didn't give Philips your new address or anything else did you?

Comment

No or my phone number all they have is my e-mail address, the address they went to is empty of my stuff but my ex worried they will access it and remove his things.

Comment

Excellent.

They cannot remove anything or do anything to your ex as the debt is (allegedly) in your name.

Sit tight and see what they come back with, if anything.

Comment

Thanks Amy, I feel 100% better already !

Comment

No worries, let us know as soon as you know anything xx

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X