• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Jacobs Enforcement/Council Tax

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jacobs Enforcement/Council Tax

Hello Everyone,

Newbie here looking for some advice.

I received a letter from my Local Council around the end of October advising I owed an amount of Council Tax dating back to June 2014 for a previous address. I've since moved twice from that address, all within the same borough, and that letter in October was the first I'd heard about this debt. I've spoken to my local authority many times over the past 6 years regarding matters of Council Tax and not once was this debt brought up.

The letter I received requested some financial information which needed to be sent back to them within 14 days. I duly did this and heard nothing until a letter from Jacobs Enforcement Agents arrived, dated 16th November 2020, advising of the amount owed and the actions they will take if this is not paid. I ignored this as I had yet to hear back from the council. I then received a further letter from Jacobs, dated 26th November 2020, stating there hadn't been a staisfactory response to their previous letter and as such the full balance was due to prevent further action which may involve removing goods for sale.

As of today I have still heard nothing and decided to contact Jacobs. I offered to set up a repayment plan and was advised to do this the minimum they would accept today is £20 which is fine. I advised them of my current circumstances, Universal Credit, and they wanted proof which, again, is fine. The adviser then stated that they were offering me this plan at which I simply queried why they were offering me anything when it's my debt and I'm offering them a payment plan. The adviser became patronising, rude so I hung on. I've contacted the council since and advised them of this and requested I don't want to deal with Jacobs anymore. I have a vulnerable adult and child at home and do not want these people coming to the door, especially after I have offered to repay this.

My question is why has it taken 6+ years for me to hear about this and is this debt still enforcable. We're constantly told about this 6 year thing for debts and this has me wondering.

Any help greatly appreciated.
    Tags: None

First off providing the Council obtained a Liability Order for the debt within the last 6 years then it will never be Statute Barred and enforcement action can be brought at any time.

It is unfortunate you decided to ignore the first letter from Jacobs as I would strongly suspect this was their Notice of Enforcement and if it was then they should have given a date & time by which to respond. As for them deciding to take a payment plan then you have been lucky as they could have been awkward and insisted it was paid in full - this is because you ignored their initial communication. Have they mentioned how much in fees they are charging you, if they have not made a visit then it should only be the Compliance Fee of £75.

In your shoes I would contact your local Councillor(s) and ask they intervene at the Council for you. Hopefully they may get answers as to why it has taken so long for them to do so. Secondly you can point out the frosty reception you received from Jacobs about this and lastly that you may be perceived to fall into the vulnerable category. Best initial contact is via phone. www.writetothem.com

Comment

Many thanks for the reply.

I've contacted the council to ask about taking this debt back but they've advised me to contact Jacobs and advised them I have vulnerable people at home. I don't want anything further to do with them after the conversation earlier today. I'm currently in the process of dealing with the National Debt Helpline regarding this matter.

Once again, many thanks for the reply.

Comment

That is why I suggested contacting your Councillor(s).

Comment

ask the courts/council to see the liability order,,,bet they dont have one

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X