• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Is This REALLY a Legible/Enforceable Copy of my Original Credit Agreement?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is This REALLY a Legible/Enforceable Copy of my Original Credit Agreement?

Hello all! Been using this site for the past month or so to learn for my own personal case, so thanks to all who have posted over the years. Amazing content. Learned so much.

Now I am hoping someone can give me their expert views or advice on my case which is coming up to court this Friday 6th October 2017! The last-minute nature of my query will become apparent shortly

This query relates to a credit card agreement with MBNA signed in 2003, so pre-2007 if that makes any difference to what I am saying below as I know pre-2007 is viewed differently.

Arrow Global has 'purchased' the debt from MBNA and are craving a CCJ Decree.

Background:

I received my original writ In the middle of June 2017 (not saying specific dates in case this thread is monitored) which was 3 days before my statute barred period would have been up on the debt. I am in Scotland so the last payment made according to them was 3 days short before the 5 years would have elapsed. However, I have still challenged this in my original defence and as it stands it has not been ruled out as they have not provided anything official that shows the last payment was on the date they claim.

As a little side note for what it’s worth, I think they rushed the writing of the original writ to ensure it was lodged before the debt hit the statute barred period as they have since gone on to amend the original writ in several places. It was updated with only 2 days to go before the final defences could be lodged. The reason for the updated writ will become clear as well. Out of curiosity, I was wondering if the updated writ now takes my debt beyond the 5 year statute barred period, or does the original date they put the writ together in the middle of June 2017 still hold?

So, my original options hearing was on the 15th September 2017 and their solicitor turned up with no paperwork whatsoever, despite stating in the original writ that if the matter was defended that a copy of the credit agreement, statements of account and assignation would be produced. I really wonder how they get away with these writs - hoping that I will never defend the action!

So the judge gave a continuation of 3 weeks for them to find paperwork which brings us to the new options hearing on the 6th October 2017 which is this Friday. Final defences for this hearing had to be lodged last Friday on 29th September 2017.

I only sent of the CCA request for a copy of my agreement early in September, but as of putting in my updated defences on the 28th September 2017 they had not sent me anything. They had not even acknowledged the letter. So after about 25 days - way over the 12+2 working days by law they had not responded with any paperwork so things were looking hopeful that they could still not find anything for our new hearing on the 6th October 2017.

However on the very next day, the 29th September 2017, after I had lodged my final and amended defences based on the information I was aware of at the time - they sent me a copy of what they claim to be the CCA, and assignation letters and a statement of account.

So in reality they have only given me about 3 days now to review the new information that has come to light which is not ideal.

Hence my request for some assistance please at the last notice just to make sure I have covered all bases.

Questions:

So Arrow Global have sent me the attached as evidence of their CCA. This is the best they have it appears. Few points I want to ask please:

1. I can hardly make any of it out. I think this is an illegible document - thoughts or opinions? The scan you are seeing is 99% identical to what I have in front of me. No loss in copy. The wording is all blurry and the signature box is dark, so can’t see what I have signed.
    2. It says Signature Form at the top of the page - to me this is not a CCA? Where is the rest of the agreement?
    3. I don’t see anything signed by them to execute the agreement? I have not been sent anything signed by them as evidence of an executed agreement signed by them. For pre-2007 agreements, I believe they need to countersign and send me a copy? Surely they need to evidence this in court?
    4. The credit limit referenced says £10000, but interest charges only go up to £5000 based on what I can read? Is this not a breach of the prescribed terms?
    5. Should I not have received a rights to cancellation notice? It is not legible on this document but I know based on research that above my signature box it does say that cancellation rights would be sent out by post. Nothing sent or evidenced so far by Arrow.
    6. In the original writ dated middle of June 2017 they state that I entered into a contract with them on the 12/01/2004, but the date you can see on this signature box is the 7/12/03. However on the updated writ of the 27th Sep 2017 they have scored the 12/01/2004 date out. This makes me suspicious that they have some kind of note on their systems of an agreement signed and executed by them on the 12/1/2004 over 30 days after I signed it, but they cannot find it to send to me. So why have they erased this date from the original writ. Thoughts? Maybe it is not important but seems odd to reference this date of 12/01/2004 then erase it.
    7. Will the judge understand that they have sent this paperwork to me so late and give a continuation again at worst to consider my defence more carefully? They took so long to send me the paperwork, way past their duty of 12+2 working days and only AFTER i had put in my defense which is now not really up to date. They have still never replied to my statute barred prescription of limitations act letter.
    8. Should this writ have even been brought to the courts in June 2017 if they had no paperwork to be produced at our first options hearing on the 15th September 2017? Surely this is a speculative claim on their part but seems they will get away with it by getting the writ in 3 days before statute barred date to stop the clock on me.

One last thing of real interest to me. And one I think is a major error on their part! I have only just discovered it.

The MBNA account number referenced in the original writ has never appeared on my credit file. There is an MBNA agreement on my file with a different account number which is odd, as I only ever had one MBNA agreement to the best of my knowledge. The one on my credit file says settled/closed and Not Defaulted.

BUT even more interestingly, the debt that was sold to Arrow Global from MBNA has a completely different account number to the one I am being pursued for on the writ! So there is at least 2 different account numbers in play, not counting a third which is on my credit file. How can Arrow Global then pursue me for debt they have been assigned, which is different to the one in the writ? Surely they have no case to chase me for debt if they cannot prove MBNA sold the debt to them?

I assume this is something that I should be referencing on Friday at my hearing? Again, something not right here and again makes me suspicious that they have rushed this whole process and have made mistakes all over the place.

Apologies for all the questions in advance, especially as a newbie. Just trying to find my best approach knowing I now only have 3 days to prepare when I thought I had everything covered off.

Really appreciate any advice or thoughts.
    Attached Files
    Tags: None

Re: Is This REALLY a Legible/Enforceable Copy of my Original Credit Agreement?

Are you sure it was only sold from MBNA to Arrow as many were sold to a firm in Luxembourg first - that makes a difference in what they need to prove on the assignment

As for the credit agreement I think maybe it could say that for credit limits above go down to the next lowest one but who can tell as it is illegible

I would argue, i think
    1) Non compliance with S78- illegible and did they send default terms and conditions as well?

2) Incorrectly executed as it does not contain the PTs and therefore unenforecable under 127(3)

3) Assignment

Of course I say that and do not understand scottish law or even what you entered in your defence or amended defence
    [MENTION=6]Amethyst[/MENTION]

Comment

Missing terms as per these paragraphs in the 'agreement' they have sent. ie. paragraph 11 does not exist on the document they have sent so it is incomplete

78 Duty to give information to debtor under running-account credit agreement.

(1)The creditor under a regulated agreement for running-account credit, within the prescribed period after receiving a request in writing to that effect from the debtor and payment of a fee of [F1£1], shall give the debtor a copy of the executed agreement (if any) and of any other document referred to in it, together with a statement signed by or on behalf of the creditor showing, according to the information to which it is practicable for him to refer,—

(a)the state of the account, and

(b)the amount, if any currently payable under the agreement by the debtor to the creditor, and

(c)the amounts and due dates of any payments which, if the debtor does not draw further on the account, will later become payable under the agreement by the debtor to the creditor.
      Attached Files
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Have they produced a Default Notice (s 87) ?

Have you been receiving an annual Notice of Sums in arrears (s 86) ?

Is the pursuer Arrow Global Ltd or Arrow Global (Guernsey) Ltd ? The latter is unlicensed so may give you another legal argument.

Good Luck on Friday!

Di

Comment

Thanks Warwick65. Much appreciated feedback. Not seen anything from a firm in Luxembourg. Based on the assignment of debt letter from MBNA to Arrow it looks like it is just them. The funny thing is the account number on the letter of assignment is different to the one i am being pursue for in the writ so big error i think in there part...I hope!

I mean, how can they pursue me for a debt they have no legal right based on these letters to pursue me for!???

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry forgot to say, they have sent me copies of the default terms and conditions since as well. The date at the bottom of the pages says 09/03 so I am guessing Sep 2003, which is meant to be 3 months before I signed the doc based on attached agreement they have sent.

These default T&C's don't have any more news on an interest rate for a £10000 application, so again I think they have missed these out.

Comment

Hey, thanks Amethyst. Much appreciated and very helpful. They have since sent a copy of the T&C's so I am guessing they are covered on that, although I clearly can't recall if I got them at the time or not.

I have yet to receive a copy of the executed agreement as per your other point. And no evidence has been provided. By 'executed' I assume we mean a copy of the agreement with their signature on it, and not just mine? I believe pre-2007 they need to have provided an executed copy with their signature on it? Based on what I have attached, this is just a simple signature form, and nothing more than that. It is not executed I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Diana M View Post
              Have they produced a Default Notice (s 87) ?

Have you been receiving an annual Notice of Sums in arrears (s 86) ?

Is the pursuer Arrow Global Ltd or Arrow Global (Guernsey) Ltd ? The latter is unlicensed so may give you another legal argument.

Good Luck on Friday!

Di
              Hey Diana M, thanks for the info. Very insightful and points I had not thought about.

1) Not seen any default notice. So good point. Is this something mandatory they should have sent me and have produced as evidence by now? (s87).

2) Again, never seen an annual statement with sums in arrears (s86).

3) The pursuer is Arrow Global Guernsey Ltd so if they are unlicensed what does that mean? I can guess but if you could clarify my argument on this that would be amazing.

Thanks again

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X