• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Mortgage help with terminal illness

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mortgage help with terminal illness

Hey everyone,

I wonder if anyone could help with alittle help and advise regarding my in laws situation.

Basically, my father inlaw as just been diagnosed with terminal cancer. He as dramatically deteriorated since his first chemo session.
    It is looking like weeks or maybe a couple of months.

He does not have life insurance or mortgage protection.

He as a pension which he gets paid so much a month, when we called and inquired regarding options with withdrawing etc the pension company said there is far too much money in and he cannot withdraw. ( never taken any lump sum)

The mortgage payments are around £450 with around 35k mortgage left to pay.
    he as a secured loan on the house which is £250 a month with around £23k balance.

He is married but the house is only in his name.

Could anyone please advise if there is a easier way to deal with this at all?

Thanks so much for your help.
    Tags: None

Re: Mortgage help with terminal illness

Originally posted by Tiptophelp View Post
    Hey everyone,

I wonder if anyone could help with alittle help and advise regarding my in laws situation.

Basically, my father inlaw as just been diagnosed with terminal cancer. He as dramatically deteriorated since his first chemo session.
    It is looking like weeks or maybe a couple of months.

He does not have life insurance or mortgage protection.

He as a pension which he gets paid so much a month, when we called and inquired regarding options with withdrawing etc the pension company said there is far too much money in and he cannot withdraw. ( never taken any lump sum)

The mortgage payments are around £450 with around 35k mortgage left to pay.
    he as a secured loan on the house which is £250 a month with around £23k balance.

He is married but the house is only in his name.

Could anyone please advise if there is a easier way to deal with this at all?

Thanks so much for your help.
    Have you got details of the pension scheme ? There should be something in the terms about withdrawal.
    This might help a little while you wait for someone who knows your options to reply xxx
    https://www.pensionsadvisoryservice....nge/ill-health
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Talk to the pension company .There is very likely some life cover built and possibly a widows pension. Write to the mortgage company and explain the situation you might just get help.

Comment

He may well be entitled to PIP under the "special rules" - that's a euphemism for a terminal illness. See https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/be...erminally-ill/

That could significantly help his immediate financial situation.

If you don't feel that will be enough, I suggest talking to his mortgage lender and explaining his health situation. he will have to authorise you making this call. They should have a team that deals with clients invulnerable situations - ask to be transferred to theat team if the lender doesn't do this straightaway. They may well be able to organise either a payment holiday for 6 months or a transfer to interest only for that period.

Of course there is the longer term problem of what happens when he dies but that can be dealt with later. Hopefully there will be some money from his pension - I hope he has informed his pension he is married?

Comment

Thanks everyone, we have got the ball rolling for the PIP. I will get a letter together for both and see if we can get somewhere with pen to paper as its been a fight over the phone, esp when people think your fobbing them off. But i will pass on all your help.

Thanks

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X