• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Voluntary termination car inspection

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voluntary termination car inspection

My daughter is doing VT on her Vauxhall Corsa and GMAC are the firm dealing with it. She is having work done to fix scratches to paintwork and has had an alloy cured of scuffing. I was wondering what their rules are on tyre tread depth as I cannot find a guide. Do the tyres just have to be above 1.6mm as per the uk limit or do they have some strange ruling I don't know of. She really could do without any more expense.
    Tags: None

Re: Voluntary termination car inspection

Does nobody know if the tyres just have to be road legal or do Manheim work to a different standard when inspecting/collecting the car?

Comment

The car has to be in a reasonable condition, if a tyre is below the minimum limit then it is arguable that it is not returned in a reasonable condition. However, when considering what is 'reasonable' you have to look at the condition of the car overall. I personally wouldn't say that one tyre means the whole car is not in a reasonable condition, but it can point to your daughter not maintaining it as she should be doing.

If she's worried, get a part worn on there so it is above the legal limit, or get a report from the garage if you can confirming the work carried out and the car is in a reasonable condition given its age and mileage.
      If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      LEGAL DISCLAIMER
      Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by R0b View Post
        The car has to be in a reasonable condition, if a tyre is below the minimum limit then it is arguable that it is not returned in a reasonable condition. However, when considering what is 'reasonable' you have to look at the condition of the car overall. I personally wouldn't say that one tyre means the whole car is not in a reasonable condition, but it can point to your daughter not maintaining it as she should be doing.

If she's worried, get a part worn on there so it is above the legal limit, or get a report from the garage if you can confirming the work carried out and the car is in a reasonable condition given its age and mileage.
        All 4 tyres are around 2.5mm but an Audi worker told her that for the car to be returned they have to be 3mm. On the GMAC 'returning your vehicle' sheet she received, it says,"Tyres, including the spare, must comply with legal requirements regarding wear and tread depth".

Comment

So there is nothing to worry about then. They are well above legal requirements.

Out of interest has she VT'ed the car by signing their form or is she about to? The reason be that there may be extra conditions on there, possibly detrimental to her, that are not required in the regs.

Comment

As Ostell has said, nothing to worry about if they are 2.5mm. GMAC may try to claim for it but at the end of the day they are above the legal minimum and so that in itself would be considered reasonable.

If there is a term in the contract that says tyre tread depth must be 3mm, it would be void anyway because when she VT'd GMAC cannot claim for damages for breach of the agreement.
            If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
            LEGAL DISCLAIMER
            Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Unfortunately she has signed and returned a letter, but it was only basic and had the balance for additional products on it and a small checklist of her responsibilities ( having the V5, valid MOT, service history ), that sort of thing, and from what I can see, it's a pretty straightforward letter. I am reading a copy of it as I type.

Comment

Does the letter say she agrees to pay any damage upon a report being produced?
                LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

8. We will send you a copy of the vehicle inspection report and you will be liable to pay for any repair costs identified as outside of "fair wear and tear" during the inspection.

Comment

That was point 8 of the check list - 'Your responsibilities' sheet attached to the letter, by the way.

Comment

I wouldn't worry too much about it right now, get the things that need doing and make sure to take plenty of photos both inside and out with the newspaper of that day before it is handed over.
                      LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

Thankyou for the replies, we'll get the work done and that's all we can do until the inspection... Fingers crossed the inspector is not in a bad mood!

Comment

If the vehicle is put in for an MOT just prior to returning it then that would be evidence of it being returned in "reasonable condition" mechanically. So if the tyre passes then its ok

Comment

Originally posted by Joanna C View Post
                            If the vehicle is put in for an MOT just prior to returning it then that would be evidence of it being returned in "reasonable condition" mechanically. So if the tyre passes then its ok
                            We got all the bodywork done on Monday (which cost a lot of money) and parked up for the night hoping the inspection is sooner rather than later as she is still waiting for them to contact her with a date for it. She went out to go to work Tuesday morning and someone had hit her car overnight/early morning and damaged front bumper, headlight and wheel arch. Absolutely devastated! Gotta get all that done now. Wish they would hurry up and come and take it!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                            Working...
                            X