• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lowells Witness Statement Says Deed of Assignment is a Privileged Document ???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowells Witness Statement Says Deed of Assignment is a Privileged Document ???

Hi everyone, im getting really confused and somewhat lightheaded trying to understand a case Lowell are bringing against me for a HSBC debt they had purchased.

The case is in court just over a weeks time, I had asked for proof of debt as well as all documentation and deed of assignment,
    the letters went back and forth, I also advised them have a serious illness which has symptoms of memory loss and therefore i really would need to see the documents for this reason.

I sent my witness statement and papers to Lowell and the court via recorded delivery - both arrived on time.
    Lowells paperwork arrived 2 days late, in a thin torn envelope which was hardly private and confidential as the whole of the front page was in view.
    The bundle consists of the following:

1) an extract from the claimants case management system to provide further details of the agreement of account with the originating creditor following the assignment of debt.

2) statements of account

3) a reconstituted copy of a letter sent to the defendant by the originating creditor

4) a copy of the notice of assignment of debt

Assignment of Debt - a whole page regarding my request for the deed of assignment, pointing out fact in law etc

The claimant contends that the Deed of Assignment is a privileged document and in any event the Notice of Assignment adduced provides sufficient notice to the defendant in accordance with the provisions of s136 of the Law of Property Act.

any ideas gladly welcome.
    Tags: None

Re: Lowells Witness Statement Says Deed of Assignment is a Privileged Document ???

Deed is confidential - you would get Notice of Assignment

Comment

Re: Lowells Witness Statement Says Deed of Assignment is a Privileged Document ???

The notice of assignment which they refer to in the witness statement is on a plain piece of paper, no logos etc along with a letter from Lowells of introduction -both dated same day. i have not seen these before, i had requested them never got anything until they arrived in the witness bundle.
      These and the account details ( pages of statements ) all bear dates in August, i was replied to in August following another request for all these details to say they still did not have them and would forward them as soon as they did!

Comment

Had you sent a formal CCA request for the credit agreement? Was the debt a loan / credit card / overdraft ?

Could you tell us what defence you used ?
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hello, thank you for reply.
          I had sent a CPR18 request for further information an another chasing up that letter
          The debt I think is from an overdraft on a business account.
          My defence is i do not recognise the debt and had no requested details sent to me to understand the case any further. - i had already told Lowells i have a health condition which causes me memory loss - in my defence i put my most recent consultation letter from my consultant.

Comment

I Went to court this morning to defend my case - it's been stayed for 6 months as Lowell haven't produced the agreement that I asked twice for ! Will update more later abt the hearing .

Comment

Originally posted by purplestar View Post
              I Went to court this morning to defend my case - it's been stayed for 6 months as Lowell haven't produced the agreement that I asked twice for ! Will update more later abt the hearing .
              I'm pleased you got the adjournment you were seeking. See what paperwork they come up with before deciding your next move.

Your main thread on this claim is here > http://legalbeagles.info/forums/show...560#post696560

Di

Comment

I hope you were successful in getting an adjournment.

nem

Comment

An update - so in the end I pulled myself together and decided to go to the hearing. I'm so glad I did , the court wasn't very busy at all.
                  Lowell sent a representative who was surprised to see me at the court as they thought I had not submitted a copy of my defence as they were not aware of it , obviously I had sent it as well as the court copy.
                  The judge asked me to relax and try not to say too much as he had read the case and had a few points he would like to make, there was reference to my two letters requesting information and copies of the two letters that i had received back saying they would try to get the information and forward it on, the judge said it was not good enough of Lowell to clearly dismiss my requests for the credit agreement, he then went through an example of HSBC v Carey . Rep said its not an enforcement case, judge replied it certainly is and would very much like to see such a case tried in court to argue otherwise. The judge said at that moment he could strike it out, dismiss it or stay the case, he then went on to costs for such a low claim that could end up being my costs if Lowell ever got the paperwork together to re hear the case - which I feel is very unfair to put me through all of this again. Any thoughts on what I might do now?

Comment

Well done for attending xxx

So presumably the Judge stayed the case rather than struck or dismissed it ?

Ahhh okay ( read back now!)
                    Originally posted by purplestar
                    got it. Stayed. That's fair enough for the moment, I'd relax and enjoy Christmas and deal with anything further afterwards, you are kind of tied to the 6 months now though - if they don't provide within 6 months has the Judge said they will be struck out then ? ( an unless order ?) - Probably won't be certain till you get the order in writing from the court.
                    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Yes the judge said 6 months or struck out, Lowells would then have to submit a new claim.

Comment

Yes the judge said 6 months or struck out, Lowells would then have to submit a new claim.
                        Well done!! very courageous !

Best wishes for Christmas and new year.

nem

Comment

Thank you and thank you to all that have helped me get through today its very much appreciated, although i brought my case to the attention of this forum fairly late most of what I done before that came from information found on here.
                          In turn I tried to help comfort a stranger dealing with something far worse than I was in the courts today..

I will return when I hear anything new on my case - without delay this time

Happy Christmas to you all x :tree:

Comment

Thank you and thank you to all that have helped me get through today its very much appreciated, although i brought my case to the attention of this forum fairly late most of what I done before that came from information found on here.
                            In turn I tried to help comfort a stranger dealing with something far worse than I was in the courts today..

I will return when I hear anything new on my case - without delay this time

Happy Christmas to you all x :tree:
                            How kind and considerate!!!

nem:santa1:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                            Working...
                            X