• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Amending Defendant's name and address After Judgement!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amending Defendant's name and address After Judgement!

I've got a judgement against an individual named Ali.

Then got a Trace Report that shows his new home address and also it shows that he has started using another name also, Alex (for Electoral Roll and Companies House)! So on the claim form I should have ideally written Mr Ali Mo... (Alex Cy...)

Considering it's after judgement, which form should I fill in? do I have to re-serve the claim form? do I have to set-aside judgement? What's the process?

I wish I could just amend these details without having to re-serve the claim form and setting aside the judgement.

I could proceed with his old name and address but it will probably fail to get any money back so I'd like to add his new name.
    Last edited by Will2050; 12th July 2016, 06:26:AM.
    Tags: None

Re: Amending Defendant's name and address After Judgement!

Assuming this is a County Court Judgement I think you need to use N244 (fee payable £100 ?)

Comment

Ali .............. AKA..............................Alex
      of Old address.................... Now of new address.

nem

Comment

Thank you.

So I don't have to set aside the judgement right?

On N244 it's asking
        Who should be served with this application?
        Also the service address?

What should I write there?

My details or defendant's new name and address or just leave it blank?

Comment

Originally posted by Will2050 View Post
          Thank you.

So I don't have to set aside the judgement right?

On N244 it's asking
          Who should be served with this application?
          Also the service address?

What should I write there?

My details or defendant's new name and address or just leave it blank?
          The Defendant directly is he is not legally represented, his current address( defendant).

nem

Comment

If you have got judgment already, I am not entirely sure you would need to vary the order if he can be sufficiently identified as the trace report shows that. Is the judgment against Ali personally or a company (you mentioned companies house)?

What if he changes his name again? It would be silly to pay each time to vary the order when he changes a name, not that he would but its just an example. Has he actually changed his name by deed poll? If you have proof that he went by the name of Ali, you could ask the court under any enforcement action you take to add his current details to the order as to what he goes by now.

Edit: Just to add, this is assuming you were aware at the time of the claim he was named Ali and not Alex.
            If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
            LEGAL DISCLAIMER
            Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

It's against him personally.

I found his new name (Alex) from electoral roll which was confirmed by the TraceReport since early 2016. In 2015, he was registered under Ali.

At the time of the claim and judgement, I had no clue he has a new name and address. I found them out afterwards via a Trace Report.

Comment

Well I think you should be fine, the claim form initially should have included the full name of the person by which he is known and you say you only realised this after you have amended it.

If you do take enforcement action, I think you should be fine if you mention that the person named on the judgment was known at the time as Ali X and after a trace report you only then become aware that he is now known as Alex Y, which would appear on the face of it that he is trying to avoid his liabilities. He is still identifiable as being the defendant on the judgment and so you should be able to continue to enforce the judgment against him.
                If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
                - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                LEGAL DISCLAIMER
                Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

You're probably right.

The main difference would be that the CCJ is registered against his old name that he doesn't use. If I submit N244 then his new name will also get CCJ.

Comment

And if he changes his name back to Ali, are you going to submit another N244 to put it right again? The name will change you won't get a CCJ under both names as the application will vary the Order from Ali to Alex
                    LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

Is the surname the same ?

How are you intending to enforce the judgment ? ( have you applied for a warrant of execution ?)
                      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

No the surname is different also. He changed his name to start a new Car business I believe.

I spoke with an HCEO and they said best practice is to submit an N244 form and add aliases to the judgement.

But it'll cost me like a week work as well as at least £100 also it delays the enforcement for 1-2 months until the new judgement is issued etc....

Comment

Sorry o ask but what if he has other aliases seems to me your up against it trying to get the money
                          Have you had more thoughts about getting him to court to be questioned on his finances?

Comment

The HCEO is right in my opinion all the alias' should be added.
                            nem

Comment

CPR 83.10

https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/pr...ovisions#83.10

(1) This rule applies where the name or address of the creditor or debtor as given in the request for the issue of the following differs from that person’s name or address in the judgment or order sought to be enforced—(a) a writ of control;
                              (b) writ of delivery.
                              (2) If the creditor files a witness statement that satisfies the court officer that the name or address as given in the request is applicable to the person concerned, the creditor or the debtor will be described in the writ as 'CD of [name and address as given in the request] suing [or sued] as AD of [name and address in the judgment or order]'.
                              There may be occasion where the name and address of either the judgment debtor(s) or the judgment creditor(s) as you wish it to appear in the writ of control is different to that which appears in the judgment or order you are seeking to enforce. This may well arise in relation to the judgment debtor's address.

In such a case provided that the judgment creditor files a witness statement that satisfies the court officer that the name or address given in the request to issue is applicable to the person concerned, then the judgment creditor or the judgment debtor will be described in the writ of control as 'CD of [name and address as given in the request] suing [or sued] as AD of [name and address in the judgment or order]'.
                              LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X