• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

urgent help court case

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• urgent help court case

First of all hello everyone and thanks in advance for any help you can offer me. I have a debt with Lowell that is going to court on the 7th july. I was issued with a summons dated 15th march 2016, stupidly I just put on the defense form simply, I do not owe the debt, thinking they would go away . the debt came off my credit file on the 31/5/2016, I have not acknowleged this debt in over 6yrs and Lowell (bw legal) have got a copy of a digital signature but no cca that they are going to produce in court, they have sent separate letter offering 20% discount ,IMG_0438.jpgadvice greatly appreciated
    Attached Files
    Tags: None

Re: urgent help court case

Did you do a Witness Statement ?

If the summons was 15th March 2016 and the default date/charge off date was 31/5/2010 then you may have difficulties trying to argue statute barred. You'd have to amend your defence to plead stat barred, and you'd be arguing two/three months from last payment - which takes you to Feb/March 2016 anyway so very tight even if you could argue against the default date arguments.

Did you ask for just a 'hard copy' of the agreement from Vanquis or did you send a formal CCA request to Lowell ?

How much is the claim for overall ?
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Thanks for your reply my maths make it 6years and 4 months from when I last acknowledged debt to the issue of a court summons and I did not ask for any papers these are what I recieved yesterday
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Jdeey View Post
        First of all hello everyone and thanks in advance for any help you can offer me. I have a debt with Lowell that is going to court on the 7th july. I was issued with a summons dated 15th march 2016, stupidly I just put on the defense form simply, I do not owe the debt, thinking they would go away .[ATTACH=CONFIG]24577[/ATTACH]
        Unfortunately such as defence isn't likely to stand up unless you really never had the card in question. What is the document you posted, were you can only see points 23 to 28? Point 23. states that your defence offers no triable issues. Are they applying for summary judgment, or what does this document relate to?
        the debt came off my credit file on the 31/5/2016, I have not acknowleged this debt in over 6yrs
        Defaults are recorded a few months after you breach your agreement by not paying, so it may be SB if it has dropped off, as long as you didn't make any payments after that, a lot of people pay through a DMP, etc. You'd still have to amend your defence to say the debt is statute barred.
        and Lowell (bw legal) have got a copy of a digital signature but no cca that they are going to produce in court, they have sent separate letter offering 20% discount ,advice greatly appreciated
        If you took out the card in 2005 or later, a digital signature is as good as a wet ink signature for online applications. You'd have agreed to the T&Cs when you ticked the box and wouldn't have signed a hard copy, so there wouldn't be one, although they should still supply you with the T&Cs that were applicable to your account.

Comment

Its not looking good got to phone up tomorrow and get mcol password reset what exactly should I write as my updated defense. Also as I am unemployed would I be able to get legal aid to argue the case in court . The original debt was £348 now they are demanding over £400 discount included. Are they likely to accept less if I contact them

Comment

Its not looking good got to phone up tomorrow and get mcol password reset what exactly should I write as my updated defense. Also as I am unemployed would I be able to get legal aid to argue the case in court . The original debt was £348 now they are demanding over £400 discount included. Are they likely to accept less if I contact them
            There is no legal aid for these types of cases. If your defence has been sent to the claimant, you'll need permission from either the claimant or the court to file an amended defence, you can't just log in and resubmit your defence. Unless you get written permission from the claimant, you'd need to submit an application to amend your defence, at a cost of £255. If you are unemployed and have less than £3,000 in capital you should qualify for remission of the application fee.

Given the relatively small sums involved, it may not be a bad idea to contact them saying you've got evidence the debt is SB and you intend to apply for permission to amend your defence to one of SBd which is an absolute defence, in which case they'd get nought, and see what agreement you can reach.

Comment

You likely received the documents and Witness statement because the court order for the hearing will have ordered Witness statements be exchanged 14 days before the hearing. I'm guessing you didn't do yours. It would cost you £255 to amend your defence at this stage and the application would likely be decided at the already set hearing.

If they have provided all the documents and it's very much on the edge of being stat barred ( remember the clock stops the moment a court claim is issued and stat barring clock doesn't start until a cause of action - which on a credit card isn't the last time you pay, it's the date when they could recall the entire debt- usually a couple months of missing payments ) then it is likely to be better for you at this stage to see if they will accept installment payments on the offer they have made (£422 ish) rather than go to court and leave you with a CCJ.

If you decide you want to fight then you need to apply to amend your defence, you are meant to ask for the claimant's consent before making the application, and you have already missed the deadline for the witness statements - you should also send a formal CCA request. I think you're unlikely to get very far I'm afraid. Without a CCA request and with the documents you have been sent evidentially the court is likely to award them the CCJ on the balance of probabilities, and for a £422 settlement I think it's worth sorting out some negotiation and avoiding a CCJ on your file for 6 years.
              #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

If I come to a repayment plan with them would that go back on my credit file

Comment

If I come to a repayment plan with them would that go back on my credit file
                  Not if doesn't reach the point where they obtain judgment against you. There can only be one default recorded per account and when it drops off, it's the end of it. However, if a CCJ is obtained, that goes back as a new entry both on you credit file and the public registry, for six years, although if the judgment is paid in full within one month, it doesn't get recorded.

Comment

The full amount is £517 with charges or £442 settlement if I went to court and lost would there be any other charges added to the £517

Comment

[MENTION=86454]freshfield[/MENTION]. Thanks for the advice. I did what you suggested and have accepted an offer of £370 in full and final settlement of case which they have emailed me

Comment

try to phone them explain your situation

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X