• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

A cyclist hit my car and now my insurer wants to increase my premium

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A cyclist hit my car and now my insurer wants to increase my premium

A cyclist hit my car as I was pulling out of a junction in October last year.

He flew into the back quarter of my car damaging the rear wheel arch and causing several hundreds of pounds of damage.

He was a 13 year old lad riding on the footpath at speed with no helmet at speed.At the junction h e went down the dropped kerb without stopping into the roadwhere he hit my car that was already pulling out of the junction. I checked hewas ok and asked if he wanted me to take him home (his parents lived in the flat below me).He said he was ok and apologised for riding at speed into my carand said it was his fault.

I called the insurance purely to tell them what had happened and that I intended his parents to pay for the repairs. I wanted to make them aware should an injury claim by the cyclist be sought. I asked if I should call the police and they advised that it would probably be a waste of the police's time as we had both left the scene and we're both ok.

The drivers parents eventually paid for the repairs to the car (in cash - so no record of this). I have just received the insurance renewal quote. My 2 years no claims is displayed as 0 years no claims. There is also a log in the claim section to advise 'Driver hit third party', claim cost £0. They've increased my monthly premium from £54 per month to £228 per month?

I've contacted them to ask why and they've advised that should the cyclist claim against me with a year of the incident,then the court will approve it, hence the increase to my insurance premiums. They said that if I obtain insurance elsewhere (foregoing) my no claims, then the open incident will be displayed which will increase my insurance premium with any chosen provider.

I am in the process of sending photo's of my car to the insurer so they can see I didn't hit the driver, the driver hit me as the damage was at the back quarter of the car. Also to argue that the cyclist hit my vehicle. Any advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated
    Last edited by Amethyst; 14th April 2016, 11:46:AM.
    Tags: None

Re: A cyclist hit my car and now my insurer wants to increase my premium

Sorry to hear about this - there was some press about this issue recently which I'll try find ( might have been on tv actually as I can't see anything) - this is from last April though http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/c...n-t-claim.html
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I would never have thought that informing the insurance company would have been a bad idea

Comment

It's bugging me where it was being discussed previously, I'm sure it was only a month or so ago.... it stuck in my mind as it wasn't something I had thought about previously either. If it comes to me I'll post back up - might have been one of those background noise daytime tv programmes actually ....

Insurance isn't my area ( at all ) so hopefully someone else will pop along with an idea if you can do anything about this. As ever decent people being penalised for doing the right thing and being open and honest.
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

This has always been the position certain insurers take.
          The discount given for not claiming (and the practice of transferring it between insurers) is not something the insured has by right.
          Insurers will ignore incidents where no claim is made, or where the third party meets all costs and in effect admits liability.
          However where an incident is reported which remains unsettled, or which has the potential to lead to a claim further down the line, some insurers will reserve their position and treat it as a claim and base renewal premiums accordingly.
          Their reasoning is that if a claim does eventually arise they will not be able to increase the already paid renewal premium to reflect the changed status.

Your options are to pay, or look elsewhere and explain the position to other insurers

PS it's an even worse idea not to inform your insurers of "incidents".

Comment

Hi des8

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post.
            I'm in the process of emailing them with photo's etc but will also take a look around for other insurance providers and explain the situation

Thank you

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X