• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Advice needed urgently

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice needed urgently

Hi everyone,

I need some advice on a claim I filed a while ago against a garage for damaging my gearbox. I've sent plenty of letters before action etc and in the end I've taken them to court. Now the really bad part comes in, I've totally forgotten that the defendants application hearing date is 12th of February, so I've only got today to prepare which is not enough.

So I'm trying to ask the court to adjourn the hearing date and allow me to submit a witness statement and amend the particulars of the claim (the defendant wants the claim to be struck out).

I need some guidance please, do I need the fill in the N244 and take it to court in person before 4pm today? What do I need to say in the reasons? Do I need to prepare a Draft Order?

Thanks a lot!
    Tags: None

Re: Advice needed urgently

Hi

Could you possibly post a copy of the defendants application to strike, and your original claim, please. Take out personal details.

You can just respond to their application with a witness statement - but to amend the particulars of claim you will need an application - but lets see what you submitted as the POC first.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for your speedy reply.

POC below, I'm scanning their Witness Statement, Draft order etc and upload now.

Comment

More docs below:

Comment

Ok the failing with your POC is to specify how the amount claimed has been calculated, so I think you will have to apply to amend your particulars of claim. Presumably it's the cost of the rebuild of the gearbox ?

Will need some more background if you want a hand sorting out amended particulars. On the plus side you will have a lot more space to make your case.
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Can I PM you please, I wouldn't want to list all the details here...

Comment

So - what was the agreement/contract between you and the Defendant

Did he carry out the work poorly or did he say he had carried out the work and you found out he hadn't ?

Did you pay him for the work ?

I don't know anything about gearbox's so ball's in your court there.

Did you give him opportunity to recitify ?

Did he respond to any of your communications about the gearbox issue ?

How long did you wait before having it rebuilt ? who said it needed to be rebuilt ? Did you get a report from another garage about the gearbox ?

How is the amount made up ?
              #staysafestayhome

Comment

Originally posted by octet View Post
                Can I PM you please, I wouldn't want to list all the details here...
                Okay but we'll have to do the amended parts on here, just for your own safety ( in case I get something wrong etc). But shouldn't need to post the absolute specifics / name of garage etc publicly,
                #staysafestayhome

Comment

PM sent, and yes I agree to post generic stuff in here for reference. Thanks a lot!

Comment

Can you confirm you have received 2 messages from me please?

Comment

Yep got them, just finished reading the first.
                      #staysafestayhome

Comment

Sorry for the spam, you have 3 PMs now, should give you all the necessary details.

Comment

Rightio, my heads all full of tuning and torques now... lol

I can't say whether you have a good case, simply because I don't know anything about mechanics ( though I will ask my other half to look in later on) but you have explained and detailed the issues, and evidenced them. I don't think there is an issue with your case other than your POCs are a bit vague - rather than defending they have decided to attempt to strike you out on a technicality. I'm not convinced they will succeed if you make a Witness Statement in response with copies of the pre-action correspondance as that clearly breaks down the amount you are claiming. The Judge may simply order you to file amended POCs, but belt and braces approach would be to file an application to amend.

Couple of Q's.

The email that states nothing to be done without contacting you first wasn't sent until after you dropped off the car. ( car dropped at 10am email sent over 2 hours later)

the wheelgate? boxes - they don't say 5.8 on them ?
                          #staysafestayhome

Comment

Okay just received Part 3

What happened between April and when you submitted the claim ( October 2015?) and do you no longer have the solicitors ?
                            #staysafestayhome

Comment

No solicitors, the one dealing with my case left the firm, the others were asking for stupid amount of money which I don't really want to keep paying while I'm already at loss

Nothing between April and October.

Do I still have time to draft the Witness Statement and submit it to the court today / tomorrow? Hearing is on 12th... Silly me for forgetting this

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X