• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

County Court Judgement filed in my absence possibly??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• County Court Judgement filed in my absence possibly??

Hi,

I had an outstanding solicitor bill from 2014. I moved house and advised Solicitor of a forwarding address. To date I received no contact from them. They had my business address etc as another form of contact also. I have now received a High Court Enforcement letter at my mothers address last week requesting payment. Would this be because a county court judgement has been filed against me? I don't understand why the solicitor has gone straight to court either!

The letter advised I had until the 30/1/16 to contact them. I emailed the company on 27/01/16 explaining my situation and offered them a settlement payment which was less than the requested amount. I have received no contact from them until today. They turned up in person at my mothers address, which I am using as a postal address as I am currently homeless, and left a letter. My mother advised I had contacted their office. He knew nothing about this. Upon reading the letter, the debt has increased by £1000 since the last letter a week ago!!!!

I have tried to call the enforcement officers mobile number quoted on the letter and have left a voicemail.

I am going to try and contact their office tomorrow but I am unsure and worried as to what to do next.
    Please help if you can someone!!
    Tags: None

Re: County Court Judgement filed in my absence possibly??

Firstly you need to find out what this is. Does the info the HCEO left have details of a claim reference on it? Check on trustonline ( http://www.trustonline.org.uk/search-yourself ) to see if there is a CCJ against you and from who. It will be at your old address.
    If it is this solicitors bill you should apply to set aside the judgment and put a hold on the warrant of execution. This will cost you £155 unless you are eligible for fee remission ( low income/benefits). Would you have any evidence of informing the solicitor of your change of address and that they had your business address ? Anyting in writing. If they were perfectly aware then the Judgment should be set aside and you will be able to either sort out a settlement or defend the case.

Approx how much is the debt for? And is it costs or bill for work undertaken?
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Many thanks for your reply Amethyst.

I will check that website myself, the letter does quote a claim no on it.

The solicitor bill was for a business i purchased. I have since closed my business due to poor trading. The solicitor therefore had my business address. They communicated via my email lots whilst the purchase was going through, so that was one form of communication they had. I have looked by cannot find copy of letter I sent them at the moment. I am currently homeless so few possesions i do have are stored with various people.

The bill was originally for approx just over £5000. The first HCI letter I received just over a week ago wants £6100.
      I offered in my email to HCI last week £4500 as a settlement figure. This is all I can obtain. I had no response from them as I said and they have now turned up at my mothers address and the bill has now escalated to £7139 in space of a week!

Comment

Okay, as you were unaware of the court claim or judgment you could apply to set aside.

You can apply to suspend the warrant on http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.u...s/n245-eng.pdf and make an offer to pay - this would be the full amount by installment.

or you can apply to set aside the whole judgment and defend the claim, BECAUSE you didn't know about it until the HCEO letter, AND the claimant had all of your details, but you really need a defence against the original claim unless you can evidence that you informed of your COA. He had your email, business address and forwarding address.

Or contact the solicitor directly and offer to pay them the £4500 + X a month for X month for the remainder ( up to the judgment amount + cover costs of the HCEO and court claim )
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X