• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Used car faulty after six days from purchase.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Used car faulty after six days from purchase.

Good morning,
    the 14 day response limit will be reached on Monday 15th so I guess I will now have to issue a small claim. Have had a look on line and it all seems straightforward. Is there any thing I should be aware of ? I also assume the best route will be Money claim online and I should claim against the Company or the individual ?
    Many thanks.

Comment

Claiming is pretty straightforward.
      You could post up a sanitised version of your particulars of claim for peeps here to check it for you,if you want.
      If you purchased from a limited company, name it as defendant, otherwise it is "Mr XX trading as Arfur Daley's Motors"

Comment

Thank you for the reply. Interestingly the garage is advertising as a non Ltd company on the web yet the only letter received from them states they are limited and is signed by a Director.
        I will draft a version of my claim and would appreciate any advice.
        Many thanks.

Comment

Check their status at companies House (https://www.gov.uk/get-information-about-a-company) using webcheck or beta.
          Their letter (if a Ltd Co.) should include the following info:
          the company’s registered number
          its registered office address
          where the company is registered (England and Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland)
          the fact that it’s a limited company (usually by spelling out the company’s full name including ‘Limited’ or ‘Ltd’)`

Comment

What does your receipt say about who you bought it from? Have you checked the full details of the company on Companies house?

Comment

Yes have checked and they are a Ltd Company with two directors even though their letter only shows a VAT number and nothing else. I will therefore direct my claim to the company which is surmised as follows :
              Having seen your advertisement for the captioned vehicle, I purchased it by deposit on 30th December 2015 and took delivery on 10th January 2016 by you personally. I discovered that it was not of satisfactory quality:
              - bulb in the dash not functioning
              - the heater needed adjustment
              - The MAP sensor (manifold pressure sensor) needed cleaning to rectify acceleration judder.
              - the air bag warning light needed resetting, but the warning light has come on again.
              The Fiat Main Dealers, *******, ****** have diagnosed a faulty air bag control unit which must be replaced. The cost of the diagnosis was agreed by prior arrangement and totals £149.40.
              The Consumer Rights Act 2015 requires dealers to supply goods of satisfactory quality and from 13 June 2014 the Consumer Contracts Regulations cover distance selling regulations.
              You were advised this by letter on 16 January 2016 and I declared my intention to exercise my rights under the Consumer Rights Act 2016 to reject the goods.
              I required refund of the purchase price £3749.00 and the cost £149.40 of diagnosing the faults by the Fiat main dealers ******* plus accumulated interest for loss of use totaling £27 together with the Court fees.
              To date you have responded to my claim, letter received 18.1.16, by offering a partial refund of £3499 which does not represent the claimed amount. Despite offering alternative dispute resolution no further response has been received.
              I am left with a car that has an airbag warning light constantly on and is unfit for safe driving.
              The vehicle is at my home address awaiting collection.
              I therefore claim :
              £3749 purchase of car.
              £149.40 Fiat diagnosis.
              £27.00 loss of use and interest.
              £185.00 Court fees.

Total £4110.04.
              Last edited by explorer121; 14th February 2016, 10:43:AM.

Comment

Yes have checked and they are a Ltd Company with two directors even though their letter only shows a VAT number and nothing else. I will therefore direct my claim to the company which is surmised as follows :
                Having seen your advertisement for the captioned vehicle, I purchased it by deposit on 30th December 2015 and took delivery on 10th January 2016 by you personally. I discovered that it was not of satisfactory quality:
                - bulb in the dash not functioning
                - the heater needed adjustment
                - The MAP sensor (manifold pressure sensor) needed cleaning to rectify acceleration judder.
                - the air bag warning light needed resetting, but the warning light has come on again.
                The Fiat Main Dealers, *******, ****** have diagnosed a faulty air bag control unit which must be replaced. The cost of the diagnosis was agreed by prior arrangement and totals £149.40.
                The Consumer Rights Act 2015 requires dealers to supply goods of satisfactory quality and from 13 June 2014 the Consumer Contracts Regulations cover distance selling regulations.
                You were advised this by letter on 16 January 2016 and I declared my intention to exercise my rights under the Consumer Rights Act 2016 to reject the goods.
                I required refund of the purchase price £3749.00 and the cost £149.40 of diagnosing the faults by the Fiat main dealers ******* plus accumulated interest for loss of use totaling £27 together with the Court fees.
                To date you have responded to my claim, letter received 18.1.16, by offering a partial refund of £3499 which does not represent the claimed amount. Despite offering alternative dispute resolution no further response has been received.
                I am left with a car that has an airbag warning light constantly on and is unfit for safe driving.
                The vehicle is at my home address awaiting collection.
                I therefore claim :
                £3749 purchase of car.
                £149.40 Fiat diagnosis.
                £27.00 loss of use and interest.
                £185.00 Court fees.

Total £4110.04.
                Originally posted by des8 View Post
                Check their status at companies House (https://www.gov.uk/get-information-about-a-company) using webcheck or beta.
                Their letter (if a Ltd Co.) should include the following info:
                the company’s registered number
                its registered office address
                where the company is registered (England and Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland)
                the fact that it’s a limited company (usually by spelling out the company’s full name including ‘Limited’ or ‘Ltd’)`

Comment

Can you check that the VAT number actually belongs to them?

Comment

Thanks, yes I have verified the VAT number and their home address's as well.

Comment

If it were my claim I would keep the particulars simple:
                      You advertised Vehicle Fiat XXXX Registration NO. xxxxxxx in XYZ
                      I purchased it by deposit on 30th December 2015 and took delivery on 10th January 2016
                      The vehicle was not of satisfactory quality,and I advised you I was rejecting it under rights bestowed by
                      Consumer Rights Act 2015,
                      This was as described in a Letter before Action dated 16 January 2016
                      Your conditional offer of a refund on return of the vehicle is not acceptable and therefore I claim:
                      £3749 purchase of car.
                      £149.40 Fiat diagnosis.
                      £10.00 per diem loss of use, or as the court may direct
                      £185.00 Court fees.
                      The claimantclaims interest under section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 8% perannum and continuing at the same rate up to the date of judgement or earlierpayment.

Comment

Thank you, it reads much better than my version which you correctly point out is too detailed. I will draft a claim for transposing onto the required form. Many thanks.

Comment

Good evening,
                          having sent a MCOL summons on the 14.1.16 I have received the following information from the MCOL website :
                          You submitted a claim on 14/02/2016 at 15:08:26

Your claim was issued on 15/02/2016

A bar was put in place for ***** CARS ******** LTD on 19/02/2016

***** CARS ******** LTD filed a part admission on 19/02/2016

I can not see what is part admitted to the claim from the website nor do I quite understand the 'bar' statement. Presumably the Court will now write and detail the part admission to see if I will accept this.
                          Any information to help me understand this would be much appreciated,
                          many thanks.

Comment

The "bar" is a stop to prevent you obtaining a default judgement as the defendant is admitting part of claim, but disputing the remainder.
                            You will in due course receive papers from the court detailing the position and your options.

Comment

Sorry should have read this :
                              http://www.justice.gov.uk/downloads/...tart-guide.pdf

Part Admission – the defendant wishes to dispute part of the claim. The defendant should explain how much of the claim they are disputing and make an offer of payment for the remainder. You will be sent a copy and asked whether you wish to proceed with your claim. If the defendant submits their response online, you will also be able to view a copy from your homepage.

Comment

Good evening,
                                I have received a letter from the Court with an offer and part admission of the claim. Copy attached. Needless to say I have not accepted this and will be pursuing the full cost of the claim.
                                I now await the questionnaire from the Court.
                                There has been no mention of the £149.40 for the Fiat dealer's diagnosis which was agreed by the trader in writing, they have also mentioned a warranty which I have no paperwork for.
                                Hopefully this will rest in my favour.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by explorer121; 23rd February 2016, 18:11:PM. Reason: Update

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X