• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

digital media as defined by CRA 2015

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• digital media as defined by CRA 2015

hi, this is more of a hypothetical question and at the same time relevant to me. the consumer rights act includes digital content. if I go along to a online psychic site or an online tarot reading site or any of the online metaphysical sites or astrology sites, for example Johnathan Cainer or Michele Knight or any of the uk based people and ask for a reading or a chart done for me. if this reading or chart is emailed directly to me, lets say as a word document and is custom made for me, not available to download or buy without consultation, is it still deemed digital content. so for the sake of arguments the astrologer or tarot reader says "tall dark stranger will be my next love" and a few days later my short blonde ex girl friend gets in touch and professes undying love, the one I never got over and am still mad about, or they say my ex is gone for good and a week later she calls me and says she has made a mistake, then the prediction is wrong. can I say I wont to return the personalised reading and get a refund? any insight would be helpful
    Tags: None

Re: digital media as defined by CRA 2015

Originally posted by cheagavara View Post
    hi, this is more of a hypothetical question and at the same time relevant to me. the consumer rights act includes digital content. if I go along to a online psychic site or an online tarot reading site or any of the online metaphysical sites or astrology sites, for example Johnathan Cainer or Michele Knight or any of the uk based people and ask for a reading or a chart done for me. if this reading or chart is emailed directly to me, lets say as a word document and is custom made for me, not available to download or buy without consultation, is it still deemed digital content. so for the sake of arguments the astrologer or tarot reader says "tall dark stranger will be my next love" and a few days later my short blonde ex girl friend gets in touch and professes undying love, the one I never got over and am still mad about, or they say my ex is gone for good and a week later she calls me and says she has made a mistake, then the prediction is wrong. can I say I wont to return the personalised reading and get a refund? any insight would be helpful
    I doubt that astrological smoke and mirrors would have any etc., would be seen as anything than fanciful entertainment.
    Yer pays yer money and takes your chance I think.

nem

Comment

Well they could still be right, short blonde ex girlfriend is an old love reacquainted not your next love....

next time I'd give it more than a week before resorting to the psychic sites xx

But yes it is digital content and usual rules apply - so if it was fault or not fit for purpose you could return it - http://www.michelmores.com/news-view...igital-content

I don't think pyscics give guarantees things will be true so as Nem says I don't think you'd have any comeback if you received a document giving their ''predictions'' then you got what you paid for.
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

ok...so the general consensus is, if I understand correctly, I set up an online site as a clairvoyant (whether you personally believe in such thing is immaterial as there are millions of such online sites) and I don't profess any degree of accuracy, providing I provide you with what I promised, ie my written prediction regarding the question you have asked, then whether that prediction is right or not I have fulfilled my half of the contract...and given that all of these site state that by law they are for entertainment purposes only then you cant say "i disagree with that and want my money back". I'm interested because when you consider how much someone like Johnathan Cainer, Russell Grant, Sally Morgan, Tony Stockwell, David Wells .......the list goes on, can charge I wonder if "for entertainment purposes only" protects them when some people truly believe they are going to get the answers to life

Comment

ok...so the general consensus is, if I understand correctly, I set up an online site as a clairvoyant (whether you personally believe in such thing is immaterial as there are millions of such online sites) and I don't profess any degree of accuracy, providing I provide you with what I promised, ie my written prediction regarding the question you have asked, then whether that prediction is right or not I have fulfilled my half of the contract...and given that all of these site state that by law they are for entertainment purposes only then you cant say "i disagree with that and want my money back". I'm interested because when you consider how much someone like Johnathan Cainer, Russell Grant, Sally Morgan, Tony Stockwell, David Wells .......the list goes on, can charge I wonder if "for entertainment purposes only" protects them when some people truly believe they are going to get the answers to life
          Caveat Emptor I think applies.

nem

Comment

Originally posted by nemesis45 View Post
            Caveat Emptor I think applies.

nem
            so...I could set up doing this and as long as I say for entertainment purposes only and actually deliver the "reading" with the appropriate word count that I may decide upon to promise and I don't say it will all be true and accurate than its all good

- - - Updated - - -

off to build that web site me thinks :santa_cheesy:

Comment

so...I could set up doing this and as long as I say for entertainment purposes only and actually deliver the "reading" with the appropriate word count that I may decide upon to promise and I don't say it will all be true and accurate than its all good

- - - Updated - - -

off to build that web site me thinks :santa_cheesy:
              How can any prediction be true and accurate a piece of seaweed hung up to predict rain??

Comment

Originally posted by nemesis45 View Post
                How can any prediction be true and accurate a piece of seaweed hung up to predict rain??
                whether predictions can be true or not, whether you or I believe or not is not the point. the point is you can at this moment go online and book a reading that will be sent to you via email......the question isn't whether this is the right thing to do or if the people who do it are charlatans the question is ...if you or I or anyone purchases one of these readings as many people do can they ask for a refund if the prediction doesn't come true. the same could be said for gambling tipsters. is it digital content that if it doest come true can be deemed as faulty ?

Comment

I suspect there is some case law about this type of thing ( not as recent as consumer rights atc though ) ......
                  #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

with this question people get hung up on the subject matter.....people don't believe in psychics, that's not the question and if you want to know how many people do try buying tickets to some of the top psychic/mediums live shows. its purly a question of what the law would say if you brought a reading or an astrological chart and you felt the information contained in it was incorrect.

Comment

The Fraudulent Mediums Act 1951 repealed on 26 May 2008 which meant that psychics had to say it was for entertainment purposes only, but this was before the consumer rights act and

Comment

whether predictions can be true or not, whether you or I believe or not is not the point. the point is you can at this moment go online and book a reading that will be sent to you via email......the question isn't whether this is the right thing to do or if the people who do it are charlatans the question is ...if you or I or anyone purchases one of these readings as many people do can they ask for a refund if the prediction doesn't come true. the same could be said for gambling tipsters. is it digital content that if it doest come true can be deemed as faulty ?
                        One may suppose that an individual could ask for a refund If a prediction failed but who is to say when exactly the event predicted was to occur, random, vague statements that could apply to untold millions of individuals.
                        Mediums have been convicted of fraud/deception/ obtaining money by false pretences.

Is Mercury going to vanish up Uranus and bring you a lottery win!! Who Knows.

nm

Comment

so, the general consensus that any changes in law relating to the consumer rights act would make no difference to a psychic reading or astrological prediction as it stood before the act came into being . I say its entertainment purposes only, I delver the ordered product and that it

Comment

I want to comment but you'll know what am going to say before I tell you.

Comment

Originally posted by Openlaw15 View Post
                              I want to comment but you'll know what am going to say before I tell you.
                              lol I love it....firstly because of the humour and secondly because you have made several assumptions......firstly I claim to be a psychic or other person who can see the future...secondly you may be confusing psychics (alleged) with mind readers.....thirdly I am a believer in metaphysical ability ..... forth that this was about anything other than a point of law regarding ordering something that is delivered digitally but may or may not fall into digital content

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X