• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Errors on small claims form

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Errors on small claims form

Hi, I'm concerned that I've made a few errors on my small claims form - little ones such as not putting '-limited company' after naming the company as the defendant, but also I've referred to an ongoing police investigation into the company in the particulars of claim which doesn't really have anything to do with my case. The claim has now been issued - what should I do? Are these serious-enough errors to warrant filling in an N244 form? Can I even do that now it has been served? And should I have named the proprietors of the business rather than the business? A bit worried now!
    Tags: None

Re: Errors on small claims form

Hi

You would be right to issue the claim against the company name if it is a limited company.

To amend after service would need either the permission of the other side or permission of the court , and yes will require an application.

The police investigation if not directly relevant, yes should come off - ummm did you use the claim form as a bit of a rant ?

Only way to know if you need to make an application would be for you to post the particulars of claim you send up here ( redacted personal info ).

Sharon
    xx
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hi, that's a big help, thank you. This is what I have submitted as the particulars of claim:

I provided a copywriting service for the
      defendant which they have not yet paid for.
      The defendant has told me that they will pay
      when they have the money but that they don't
      currently have the money. I believe there is
      an ongoing police investigation into fraud in
      relation to this company.
      Please note that the claim amount is made up
      of £1400 for services
      provided (4 days at £350 per day).
      The claimant claims interest under section 69
      of the County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of
      8% a year from 14/11/2015 to 05/01/2016 on
      £1,400.00 and also interest at the same rate
      up to the date of judgment or earlier payment
      at a daily rate of £23.83.

Thanks.

Comment

Ok other than the police investigation bit that would be fine as a basic moneyclaim.

You don't state when you did the work or how long the payments have been overdue for - or on what basis you worked.
        Are you self employed as a copywriter ?
        Have you invoiced the company for the work ?
        Do you have copies of the invoices ?
        Did you send a letter before action ?

The daily rate of stat interest is wrong ( that would be bonkers lol ) - I thought the MCOL service worked that out for you these days?
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Argh! Ok, thanks. What would be the best form of action now that details of the claim have been issued to the defendant?

Comment

Well you could apply to amend, or you could wait and see what happens and react to that - they might apply to strike out the claim, in which case you can counter with an application to amend, or they might ignore it, or admit and pay, or submit a defence. I think the court are quite used to the interest calcs being wrong - it's more likely to be 23p than £23 so that isn't fatal at all just will need correcting later.

How certain are you of this police investigation into fraud ? - presumably you've mentioned it to show the court that they have history not paying people?
            #staysafestayhome

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
              Well you could apply to amend, or you could wait and see what happens and react to that - they might apply to strike out the claim, in which case you can counter with an application to amend, or they might ignore it, or admit and pay, or submit a defence. I think the court are quite used to the interest calcs being wrong - it's more likely to be 23p than £23 so that isn't fatal at all just will need correcting later.

How certain are you of this police investigation into fraud ? - presumably you've mentioned it to show the court that they have history not paying people?
              Thanks again - a massive help. I am 100% certain of this police investigation - the client told me herself. Yes, I mentioned it to show the court that there are other factors at play with regards to non-payment.

I think I might just wait and see what happens. I can't really afford to pay another £155 to amend the claim or to pursue it any further if they say they can't pay/declare themselves bankrupt.

But thanks again for your help - is there anything I can do to assist you in terms of flagging up your help on social media etc?

Comment

That makes sense. I reckon just wait and see what the response is from the claimant and come back on this thread if you have any further questions at all xxx

They have 14 days from service to acknowlege the claim, if they do that, they have 28 days from service to defend. If they miss those deadlines you can request a default judgment.

If they are on the verge of bankruptcy then it may well just go to default judgment and you'll then have to deal with enforcement to try and collect the money. I think you'll need to be quite prompt in that case to have any hope of retrieving what you are owed.

But thanks again for your help - is there anything I can do to assist you in terms of flagging up your help on social media etc?
                That would be great, thank you xx
                #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X