• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Suspended from work.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspended from work.

Hi,suspended from work for crossing out a paragraph in a new working procedure that I pointed out was unsafe,reason for suspension given as refusing to sign directive, when I pointed out I had signed it, then reason changed to manager cannot allow me to carry out my duties because I did not accept all conditions and suspended.
    Tags: None

Re: Suspended from work.

I think we'll need to know the new directive that you refused to accept and a bit of the background behind it. Was there consultation before the new contracts? were issued ?

Are you suspended on full pay ?
    Is there an investigation/disciplinary going on ?
    How long have you worked there?
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

As far as I am aware there was no consultation on the matter.
      1 Month ago all the staff in the same job as me were given a form to sign confirming they had been trained and on and understand the procedure detailed in it.I and some others pointed out that 1 procedure was dangerous as it involves the use of large vehicles in a pedestrian area.And what we were being asked to do increased risk as opposed to lessening risk which is the purpose of the new procedure.One by one any staff who refused to sign were taken into an office and persuaded to sign.I originally signed mine but highlighted the contentious paragraph and put some slash lines thru it and put N/A. Today I was called into a meeting with my superior and was told it was not acceptable,I made my points to him as why it was unsafe,he made the point that the issue in question did not mean what what it clearly implied.I asked him to change it to what it should imply.He said it was not allowed and i had to sign a new copy.I refused and he said that I would be suspended for not signing and I pointed out I had already signed the original.He then said that as I would not accept all the conditions he could not let me carry out my duties.
      I am suspended on full pay,was told I would recieve a letter.
      10 years umblemished record.

Comment

[MENTION=7]Tools[/MENTION] is replying but thought I'd just give you this if it helps any regarding the new clause .... http://www.hse.gov.uk/workplacetransport/separating.htm
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Can you post up the actual wording procedure (or private message me it if you prefer) , I work in the industry so have a good understanding of what you're talking about.

Has the new set of procedures come about because of an incident at your own company or one "widely known" at another company.

I assume they have used a risk assessment and method statement? Does your company operate a traffic light scoring system for procedure risks?
          Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

I've got the document thanks.

The paragraph you have highlighted, can you give me your objections to the procedure, again by private message if you feel it may identify you.
            Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

Comment

The problem is the waiting,these are very busy carparks, once you get blocked in it becomes far more dangerous to manouvre,most car drivers will stay clear whilst you are still moving,this allows you to pull into position and start reversing onto the bay.Once you stop and wait cars will come up behind you and wait for you move,the more of them that do this leaves you nowhere to go,then when you start to move they just panic.The real sticking point is how long should I wait, my manager says bullet point one doesent mean you have to wait,so i asked him to remove it,he says its a head office decision and he cant.if it really is about safety there would be a banksman who is allowed to guide my vehicle not a martial who can only ask the public to be careful

Comment

The problem with having a banksman rather than a "marshal" is that to officially be a banksman (and therefore liable when the shit hits the fan) you have to be CSCS/CITB/RoSPA trained.

As you're no doubt aware, it's about who's liable when things go wrong, because in the wonderful world of H&S there's no such thing as an accident.

Comment

I going to respond tomorrow as its 3am and ill be more akert tomorrow
                  will speak to you tomorrow

two things, are you a member of union?
                  do you work for private or public sector (im guessing private)
                  also can you tell me your line of workor type of compannt it is (pm me if you feel more comfortabl)

easy to say i know but try not to worry, if your coscience said no then good for you for sticking neck out x sess
                  "Disciplining yourself to do what you know is right and important, although difficult, is the high road to pride, self esteem and personal satisfaction" Margaret Thatcher

"When somebody challenges you, fight back, be brutal, be tough” Donald Trump

"I fought for the underdog for a level playing field" Judge Jeanine Pirro

"There's a natural law of Karma that vindictive people who go out of their way to hurt others will end up broke and alone" Sylvester Stallone

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for all who have taken an interest and posted on this thread,phone call today suspension lifted and on going discussions.

Comment

Excellent news.

As we discussed privately, I would suggest written clarification from head office as an addendum to the existing memo, that way they cannot argue they are unable to change it without a lot of effort.

Maybe next time they even choose to consult the drivers before putting out another "bright idea" probably written by someone who has never seen the inside of a lorry cab. I always used to suggest the directive scripting pen pushers come out and spend a week in the cab, that way they would see their theories attempted to be put into practice......................and fail miserably

Comment

Originally posted by normanarchie View Post
                        As far as I am aware there was no consultation on the matter.
                        1 Month ago all the staff in the same job as me were given a form to sign confirming they had been trained and on and understand the procedure detailed in it.I and some others pointed out that 1 procedure was dangerous as it involves the use of large vehicles in a pedestrian area.And what we were being asked to do increased risk as opposed to lessening risk which is the purpose of the new procedure.One by one any staff who refused to sign were taken into an office and persuaded to sign.I originally signed mine but highlighted the contentious paragraph and put some slash lines thru it and put N/A. Today I was called into a meeting with my superior and was told it was not acceptable,I made my points to him as why it was unsafe,he made the point that the issue in question did not mean what what it clearly implied.I asked him to change it to what it should imply.He said it was not allowed and i had to sign a new copy.I refused and he said that I would be suspended for not signing and I pointed out I had already signed the original.He then said that as I would not accept all the conditions he could not let me carry out my duties.
                        I am suspended on full pay,was told I would recieve a letter.
                        10 years umblemished record.
                        What is the actual term in express words? if the directive is dangerous he should be reported to the police and Health and Safety officer. Your employer has a duty to provide a safe working environment, if anything were to happen to you or others, he would be guilty either under common law murder (if he knew it would cause deaths potentially) or corporate manslaughter.

If they sack you, take them to court for contract breach reliant on a clause to the contract that simply cannot be legal...and claims for damages for actual losses. Do you have union representation?

Comment

Hi Normanarchie

Sorry I couldn't contribute to this post after I'd promised, things this end got a tad hectic also

What was the result of your meeting?
                          Is all settled now?

sess x
                          "Disciplining yourself to do what you know is right and important, although difficult, is the high road to pride, self esteem and personal satisfaction" Margaret Thatcher

"When somebody challenges you, fight back, be brutal, be tough” Donald Trump

"I fought for the underdog for a level playing field" Judge Jeanine Pirro

"There's a natural law of Karma that vindictive people who go out of their way to hurt others will end up broke and alone" Sylvester Stallone

sigpic

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X