• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lowell financial

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowell financial

Hi, a couple of months ago I received a letter from Lowells informing me they had taken over a debt from another company regarding a loan from Provident personal credit. I wrote back to them informing them that the debt was statute barred (standard letter) and asked them to give any proof to the contrary. The first letter I got back stated the Provident put the account into default in May 2010 so the debt was still within the 6 years. The next letter I received 2 weeks ago stated that due to the age of the account they are unable a copy of statements at this point due to the age that has passed. I have had no contact or made any payment since late 2008, well over the 6 years. Now the phone calls have stated again (which I ignore). What should I do next
    Tags: None

Re: Lowell financial

Hi Provident accounts are well known for very dodgy paperwork,
    I suggest you send Lowell a CCA request to see if they have a copy
    of the agreement relating to the account.
    There's a £1 statutory fee for this use a postal order for £1 endorsed
    " For Statutory Fee Only" Lowell has 12 + 2 Working Days to comply.
    Failure to produce the agreement renders the debt unenforceable in court.

I would reiterate your claim that the debt is statute barred making the point
    that you do not acknowledge any debt to Lowell. Make the point that the
    default date does not affect the Limitation Act 1980 relevant 6 year period.
    Furthermore Lowell has been informed in writing that the debt is statute
    barred and you will not be making any payment and all contact should now cease.

Some options for you to use as you wish.

Add to this that you require any further contact Must be made in writing via
    Royal Mail, no further phone call are to be made after receipt of your letter.
    If Lowell continues to make calls to your landline or mobile this will be treated as
    harassment.
    nem

Comment

Thank you, I will try this and see what they say.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilkie01 View Post
        Thank you, I will try this and see what they say.
        Please let us know how this turns out.

nem

Comment

Thank you for your reply, just a quick question. Should I send send the letter requesting the CCA first then send another letter after that stating the other points or should I put everything in one letter?

Comment

Thank you for your reply, just a quick question. Should I send send the letter requesting the CCA first then send another letter after that stating the other points or should I put everything in one letter?
            Keep the CCA as a separate letter, but you can send both in the same envelope.

nem

Comment

Thank you

Comment

I have not heard back from Lowell yet but today I checked my credit report & I found they have added the debt to my account. Can they do this?

Comment

I have not heard back from Lowell yet but today I checked my credit report & I found they have added the debt to my account. Can they do this?
                  Hi,

Was the debt showing as Provident previously?

What is the default date showing on the files?

nem

Comment

There is no mention of Provident or a default date. It gives the amount owed, account opened April 2005, last update November 2015 an account number & frequency of payment as monthly.

- - - Updated - - -

In a previous letter they stated that Provident put the default notice in May 2010

Comment

There is no mention of Provident or a default date. It gives the amount owed, account opened April 2005, last update November 2015 an account number & frequency of payment as monthly.

- - - Updated - - -

In a previous letter they stated that Provident put the default notice in May 2010
                      There should be a default date on the file, is this now in the name of Lowell.

nem

Comment

On the credit report it doesn't look like they have put it as a default it looks like they have registered it as a credit owed to them. It is under the name of Lowell & there is no mention of Provident from what I can see.

Comment

When Provident sells debt to say Lowells them Lowells name is put in place of Provvy, the only thing that should not change is the original date of default!

Comment

Lowell
                            Current balance

£3,727

Account opened

23 April 2005

Last updated

19 November 2015

Account number

Frequency

Monthly

Name

Mr XXXXXX XXXXXXX

Address

Comment

In a previous letter from Lowell after i had informed them that the debt was statute barred, they replied it was not barred under the Limitation act as i stated because the default notice issued by Provident was 10th May 2010. As i understood the Limitation act 1980 it starts from the last payment or contact with Provident.
                              They have failed to supply me any paperwork of proof of this debt other than letters stating that i owe them the mone

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X