• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Please Help not sure what to do next

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Help not sure what to do next

Hi Please Help !

I have submitted a Money Claim on line against a local garage :-

You submitted a claim on 02/09/2015 at 14:04:25

Your claim was issued on 03/09/2015

xxxxx Motors filed a defence on 23/09/2015

A bar was put in place for XXXX Motors on 23/09/2015

DQ sent to xxxx Motors on 23/09/2015

DQ filed on 14/10/2015

General sanctions order was made on 19/10/2015

The defence was struck out on 04/11/2015

The bar in place for xxxxxx Motors was removed on 04/11/2015

Not sure what my next move is, do I send a letter to them asking for full payment otherwise I ask
    for judgement? Please note that the garages defence was that it has now gone bankrupt, but started to trade in a different name.

Please Help

Thanks

Tags: None

Re: Please Help not sure what to do next

If they are bankrupt were they a Ltd company and is the bankrupt company the defendant you sued?

If the new company is Ltd you probably have no claim against them

Comment

Well, the defence was struck out - did you apply to strike it out or was it off the court's own motion? The General Sanctions order may have been something to do with remedying errors in their defence and they failed to comply, thus rendering their defence struck out, and the bar being lifted, which means you can now request a judgment in default from the court. I'd do that before contacting the defendant.

However, when you get the judgment it will be against the bankrupt company and you will have no one to enforce against. If they are still in administration etc then your judgment may get you onto the list of creditors. Have you looked into the company name on Companies House, Gazette or made other enquiries about them and their current status ?
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

When I first looked at taking the garage to court, I checked Companies House and they were still trading. We only found out that they had gone bankrupt when they filed the defence. The garage is still trading using virtually the same letterheads, the same email address etc..
        When I go onto the Money Online website and go to the judgement section it says that I should have a repayment agreed before asking for judgement, not sure what I should do from here, the garage is still holding my car and has now sent me a bill for storage.

Comment

Well first of all they cannot charge you for any storage as the contract was between you and the other limited company. You are therefore entitled to your car back.
          On the other hand, it sounds like guy who ran the previous company is deliberately evading his liabilities and the fact that he is trading on the same premises, using same letterheads and email addresses goes to show this. But also the fact they're trying to charge you for the storage of the car also indicates that the owner of the previous company used the limited liability of the company to evade any liabilities.

You could put that to the judge and attempt to obtain judgment against the director personally but this type of argument is very rarely used and very hard to obtain. Although from the above it seems like there could be a case.
          If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
          LEGAL DISCLAIMER
          Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X