• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Voluntary Termination

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voluntary Termination

Hi,
    Could anyone tell me if the kind of loan you have makes any difference with a voluntary termination? My company replied to my request saying that because it's a "motor loan" that its not possible to voluntary terminate the agreement.
    any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Tags: None

Re: Voluntary Termination

Must be regulated by the consumer credit act - it should say this at the top of your agreement.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by R0b View Post
      Must be regulated by the consumer credit act - it should say this at the top of your agreement.

Yes it definitely is thanks for the quick response

Comment

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1974/39/section/100

Comment

As pointed out in many posts on here, you can pay the 50% then write to terminate or you can terminate early and repay the difference up to 50%
          If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
          LEGAL DISCLAIMER
          Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

There are different agreements under the consumer credit act - restricted use, non-restricted use - debot-creditor-supplier etc etc ... , Hire Puchase and so on - if you have a copy of the agreement that would be a help - if it is a VT type loan then it will have the terms of VT within it. Does it ?

Did you borrow some money, then go buy a car ?
            Did you go to a car dealer and they arranged finance through another company ?
            etc. ?

A scan of the agreement might be best if you aren't sure.

Which company did you borrow the money from ? ( might help work it out if you don't have the agreement)
            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hi, the finance is through Fiat Financial Services which was arranged through Stoneacre where we purchased the car. I have looked through the agreement and it does not use the term VT and it does state that its a Motorloan.

Comment

Originally posted by Angiep View Post
                Hi, the finance is through Fiat Financial Services which was arranged through Stoneacre where we purchased the car. I have looked through the agreement and it does not use the term VT and it does state that its a Motorloan.
                Hi Angie, could you possibly upload the contract with your personal information blanked out - I'll be honest I have never heard of a 'motor loan' before and it could very well be disguised as a regulated agreement.
                LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

Hi, the agreement is 4 pages long did you want it all?

Comment

Yes please, just blank out your personal information
                    LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

Hi sorry for the delay, this is all the agreement information.

Once again thanks for any help.
                      Last edited by Angiep; 16th November 2015, 19:14:PM.

Comment

[MENTION=74966]Angiep[/MENTION]

Interesting agreement there. First of all, reference to a 'Motorloan' is of no meaning except in so far as that is what Fiat seem to call the document so by customer service saying that you cannot terminate is incorrect.

However, that being said as it is a fixed sum loan and not a Hire Purchase or Conditoonal Sale Agreement so you cannot hand the car back under voluntary termination rules.

I cannot see any reference to title of the vehicle and so I can only assume that, the car is owned by you and not the lender, so you could sell the car and use it towards paying off the loan agreement. This type of agreement is pretty much the same as going to the bank and asking for a loan except it is restricted to a loan for a particular car.

It looks like Fiat are becoming a bit wise to Hire Purchase/Conditional sale agreements and are now offering a fixed sum loan instead which essentially enables them to receive/recover their loan plus interest without the worry of someone handing back a badly depreciated car.

I am afraid Angie you cant get out of this one with a VT. Maybe next time you want to get a car make sure it is a Hire Purchase or Conditional Sale Agreement.
                        LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

Thanks for all the help anyway least I know now

Comment

No worries, sorry I couldn't help any further. If there was a term within the agreement which stated that the lender owned the vehicle until the amount was paid off, then you could have arguable grounds that the agreement was in fact a Hire Purchase or Conditional Sale Agreement and not a fixed loan and you would have rights to VT.

What you could do, if you are looking to get another car is talk to a few dealers as sometimes they are willing to take the car and pay off your debt in return for taking a car of theirs out. Just make sure it's not Fiat this time
                            LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

Haha will do think we'll just give a certain dealership a wide birth!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X