• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Hi everyone-I'm Curious

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi everyone-I'm Curious

Over the last few months I have been contacted by debt collection companies alleging that I owe money on debts from years ago.In fact,on one of these supposed debts,that I was able to check out,the amount borrowed had been settled back in 2007.This prompted me to order a Credit Report which shows nothing of these alleged debts,but then I gather that any details are taken off after a number of years.My question is if there are debts outstanding from years ago,where do these companies get their information?I'd appreciate any info.
    Tags: None

Re: Hi everyone-I'm Curious

It depends who the companies are but it is likely they are debt purchasers, they buy lists of 'bad' debts off the lenders for something like 9p per £1.

If you are being chased for an amount settled in 2007 then you'd need to write and tell them that, and tell them that as you have not acknowledged any debt or made any payment since 2007 it is considered time barred under section 5 of the Limitations Act 1980.

There is an example letter in the Guides and Templates section of the forum
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
      It depends who the companies are but it is likely they are debt purchasers, they buy lists of 'bad' debts off the lenders for something like 9p per £1.

If you are being chased for an amount settled in 2007 then you'd need to write and tell them that, and tell them that as you have not acknowledged any debt or made any payment since 2007 it is considered time barred under section 5 of the Limitations Act 1980.

There is an example letter in the Guides and Templates section of the forum
      Thanks for the info Amethyst

Comment

Thanks for the info Amethyst

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X