• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Reality Expansion Group / Property Mentor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reality Expansion Group / Property Mentor

Hi Everyone,

I was silly enough four years ago to join up to Realty Expansion Group. I signed a contract agreeing to pay £5000 to learn how to be a "buy to rent landlord" without the need for a deposit. after 10 months, I realized that was not possible and the things that I was being asked to do was at best unethical, at worst illegal. I wrote to the company and told them this and also said that I would not pay anymore as I was not getting what I had been promised. I never got a response to this letter.

Now 3 years later they have written and told me that if I do not bring the account up to date they will refer my account to a third party. I was on holiday and so have not responded to that letter. Today I received a letter from Debtsolve asking for the debt to be paid.

Is there anything that I can do? and if so what is my best next move?

Hope someone can advise me.....Thanks
    Tags: None

Re: Could do with some advice, please

Am i reading this correctly/you pay or contract to pay 5 grand to learn (LOL) how to buy property to rent without paying any deposit,if this is not the most obvious scam i heard of ill walk backwards to tescos,after reading of the Ebay vehicle scams on here i thought they caught all the vulnerable but heres another one.Aside to all that i cant advise but would think that its a difficult one for the OP to get out of if they signed a legal contract but i for one hope they can then they can get back to reality,where nothing is as good as it seems and a fool and his money are easily parted .Good luck to Steph63 i hope you win

Comment

I would ignore. If they were by any chance to issue court proceedings you have the perfect defence in that they were not delivering their side of the bargain and had broken the contract. I am assuming you sent your letter "signed for", kept a copy as well as keeping all the original advertising and contract wordings.

Comment

Well thanks for that piece of non advise "wales01man", I am pleased that I could assist in brightening your day...however I am fully aware that I have been taken for a ride and admit that this is not my proudest moment. What I am actually after is advise not ridicule but thanks for your input all the same. If you do find yourself in a position to actually be of help , I would like to hear from you again Steph63

Comment

Hi Des8,
          Thanks for your response. Does it make a difference now that the debt has been referred to a debt collection agency, I did read some advice that said I should write to the debt agency stating that the debt is in dispute. Steph63

Comment

My non advice was aimed at anyone else who is stupid enough to fall for this type of con,later in my post i hoped you win.If you signed a contract that was Legal you may have a tough time avoiding paying,i still say good luck with the fight please dont you didnt brighten up my day when you agreed to pay 5 grand someones day improved,
            My advice on debts is threefold
            1, Pay it
            2, Dont pay it
            3,Fight it
            Dont think there are any other choices?

Comment

Hello Steph

These people are clever and they prey on honest individuals - they need to be exposed and brought to justice.

I would report the company to Action Fraud http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/individuals , the OFT and any other relevant authority - maybe Watchdog as well - if you haven't already. Also write to the DCA telling them that the debt is not only disputed but that you are looking to be reimbursed by the scammers for the money they fraudulently extracted from you and your consequential losses.

The DCA needs to understand that it has been sold a pup as the debt does not exist. It is unlawful to attempt to extract money that is not owed and the DCA should also pursue the fraudsters for the return of their money.

Good luck and much sympathy - being scammed is a very harrowing experience and happens to many of us all too often.

Comment

If the DCA is acting as an agent for the original creditor, they are toothless.

Tell them to 'butt out', or just ignore them.

Your choice!
                CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                gets his brain a-going.
                Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Hi Steph,
                  Can't really add anything to last two posts.
                  I have found that telling the DCA the account is in dispute, it is not acknowledged etc only seems to encourage them to try and enter a dialogue and send ever more threatening letters. I personally always ignore,but there are other courses of action as MissFM & Charitynjw indicate and it is your choice.
                  If by some miracle genuine court papers arrive, then deal with those, do not ignore.

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
                    I'll walk backwards to tescos,
                    :rofl:

Under what circumstances would you walk forwards to a branch of Tesco, and why?

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                      :rofl:

Under what circumstances would you walk forwards to a branch of Tesco, and why?
                      Dunno, really!

& what about their strap line?

Every Lidl helps!

Confused or what!
                      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                      Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                      gets his brain a-going.
                      Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                      The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Once again, if you have got anything constructive to say, I am all ears....thanks for the good luck wishes though x

Comment

Thanks so much MissFM, I will look at reporting the company to Action Fraud etc.

Comment

Thanks Charitynjw, really appreciated

Comment

Thank you for all your help Des8, I will ignore them for the time being and see what happens....will also look into reporting the company to Action Fraud ....Thanks again

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X