• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

newbie here

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newbie here

Hi everyone

I'm new to this site and was wondering if anyone could help me.

Bit of background first and I hope you won't judge me too harshly.

In 2003 I was in a pub with my girlfriend and this group of men were making rude remarks about her. I got into an argument with one of them that resulted in a fight.
    Unfortunately the man I fought went down and hit his head on a table, knocking him out. I called the ambulance and stayed behind to help if I could. He was in a coma for a week. He recovered well

The police arrested me, charged me with GBH, went to trial, got found guilty after the guy's friends lied for him. Sentenced april 04. I appealed but lost. Served 18 months.

In all this time i was responsible and kept my creditors(Citi and CAP1) fully informed and when I was sentenced I told them that payments would stop until I got out. I lost my home and everything in it (rented property)Lost the girlfriend too

While I was away, the creditors defaulted me. I only found out about this in 2006 when Lowells porfolio and Cabot contacted me demanding money.
    I duly paid but after finding this site did some reading and sent a request for my agreement. Lowells quickly closed their file but Cabot have yet to supply the agreement. It's now 4 months since I asked them. I did send them another letter telling them that they won't get another penny from me until they do supply the paperwork I've asked for and to be fair they haven't really bothered me.

After all of the above my main question is this:

Can a credit card company default me when they knew I was in jail?

When you're in jail, you get moved around a lot so if they wrote to me in jail, the letters never reached me.

Any hep appreciated.

andy

Re: newbie here

Hi there, welcome to the site, and no one will judge you, you made a mistake and you have more than paid for it, so water under bridge etc.

Have a read of the advice guide http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/...s_and_debt.pdf - does seem yep they can.

You will get lots of help dealing with Cabot, have search on the site theres a number of threads relating to them, and feel free to ask any questions you may have.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Also I don't know if this helps at all http://pso.hmprisonservice.gov.uk/ps...sfinancial.doc basically things carry on as normal and you have to make arrangements on change of circumstances etc.
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Thankyou Amethyst.

I'm still annoyed though. It just seems unfair that they can do that without me being able to sort it out.

I have sent Citi a data protection request for all the info they have and then if they come back with no valid agreement, I will tell Cabot to go away (politely)

Comment

Originally posted by andy47 View Post
          Thankyou Amethyst.

I'm still annoyed though. It just seems unfair that they can do that without me being able to sort it out.

I have sent Citi a data protection request for all the info they have and then if they come back with no valid agreement, I will tell Cabot to go away (politely)
          They do it to peeps who are able to and try to sort it out too.

Have you sent Cabot a CCA request ? Consumer Credit Agreements - A Guide - Legal Beagles
          #staysafestayhome

Comment

Yes I did(couldn't remember what it was called). It was sent last october so it's been 5 months now.
            The last letter I got from them was at the beginning of December saying that the acount is on hold as the original lender hasn't been able to find it(as yet)

While no news is good news, I'd like to put this one to bed and try and get my credit file repaired. I can't get a decent bank account (i have a basic one)
            I hate being in limbo.

One thing is certain, Cabot ain't getting another penny from me after reading that they pay so little for the account in the first place

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X