• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Anglian Water

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anglian Water

Hi everyone, I would really appreciate any suggestions or advice regarding an issue I am having with Anglian Water.

I received correspondence from the CNBC, on 30 January 2024, stating that Anglian Water have decided to commence legal action against me for non-payment of the water bill. I have denied that I owe the amount that Anglian Water is claiming. I usually pay for my annual water bill on a monthly basis. Anglian Waters’ statement of case states that the account is for the period starting 1 April 2021to October 2023, however, I didn’t move into this property until August 2022.

I have paid every months payment for the past 16 months, I keep the payment slips and receipts every time I make a payment. In November 2022, Anglian Water sent me another set of monthly payment slips in addition to the monthly payment slips they had sent me in August 2022 (when I moved into this property) they were for the same period and overlapped with the August payment slips.

I went onto the credit file website several months later to see that Anglian Water had reported to the credit check company that I had not made any payments during the past 6 months, I knew this was false as I had the payment slips and receipts to prove it.

As I had received the legal correspondence in January 2024, I decided to check on my credit file again to see if Anglian Water were still claiming that I hadn’t made any payments and they were, however, in addition to this they had also set up an account, pulled a figure out of the air, stated that I hadn’t paid it and then proceeded to close the account, they then repeated this a further two times, I had no knowledge at all that these three accounts had been set up, claimed by Anglian Water to have not been paid by myself, then closed. If I had not gone onto the credit check website I wouldn’t have known about them.

This property I have moved into has a water meter and I use on average £28.00 per month, Anglian water are still charging me for an annual water bill regardless of the significantly less amount of water I am using on a water meter, they estimated that I use £60.00 of water per month, they have overestimated my water use by £32.00 per month, the water meter shows this. It seems that Anglian Water are charging me for water which I haven’t used yet and am unlikely to use during the billing period, but are determined to pursue me through the legal system.

I didn’t manage to send my defence to the CNBC in time to ask for an extension of time due to currently going through cancer treatment (exhaustion due to the treatment is affecting me a lot at the moment) but I have sent in a request for a set aside, although I have been told by the CNBC that due to their backlog, it is likely that the bailiffs could visit my property this week due to CNBC not putting my request for a side aside on the system yet (I sent it middle of February 2024).

I know this is a bit long-winded but any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.
    Tags: None

Hi Vicky

Welcome to LB

I hope you feel better soon and the treatment is successful.
    The last thing you need is a water company that isn't listening.

a) Send Anglian Water a Subject Access Request, they have 30 days to provide all the data on the water meter. Make sure you get Proof of Postage. Once you get the information go through it. Make you case with your readings.

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...ccess-request/

b) Lodge an official complaint with Anglian, email it to their Managing Director, explain what's happened and tell him, that you are undergoing cancer treatment (copy the letter to you MP, make sure the Managing Director knows it's being copied to your MP) -

Peter Simpson
    Managing Director
    Anglian Water
    psimpson@anglianwater.co.uk

https://members.parliament.uk/FindYourMP

c) You are classed as a 'Vulnerable Person) due to your health i.e. cancer treatment etc.

Email the bailiffs the following template but also print it out, put it in an envelope, keep by door (hand it to them through the window).

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/de...re-vulnerable/

https://www.nationaldebtline.org/sam...vulnerable-ew/

d) fill in the following, copy and paste back onto this thread without personal details -

Received a claim? Yes/No:
    Issue Date:
    Have you Acknowledged the Claim?:
    Total Amount Claimed : ( approximately please do NOT use EXACT figure given on the claim form, round up to next £100 or £1000)
    Claimant’s Name:
    Solicitors Firm:
    Original Creditor:
    Original Debt (eg. Credit card/Loan/Overdraft) :
    Particulars of Claim: ( Please type out in full excluding names/account numbers/exact amounts ):
    Is the debt Statute Barred (have you had any contact with the creditor or claimant over the last 6 years?):
    List any letters you have sent (eg: CCA/ CPR ):
    Any Other Information or Background Details:

Comment

I received a claim from Anglian Water via CNBC for non payment of water bill

The issue date was 18 January 2024

I acknowledged the Claim

The total amount they are claiming is approx £1000

The claimants are Anglian Water

There is no mention of a solicitors firm to respond to only a male named as a legal representative

The debt isn’t Statute Barred

The letters I have sent are, the Acknowledgement of Service, request for a Set Aside, to the CNBC.

A letter to Anglian Water requesting a Set Aside consideration.

The Particulars of Claim has very little information on it other than I owe them payment.

There is no mention of any payments I have made or statement of payments which I would have expected to see. They seem to have put the minimum amount of information possible on the forms.

Comment

So you've sought consent for the set a side from Anglian Water and CNBC giving reasons why they should agree to the set a side?

Who are CNBC? (I think you've got the abbreviation wrong)

You need to do (a), (b) and (c).

Comment

Yes, I have requested consent from the Civil National Business Centre for a a Set Aside.

I requested consent from Anglian Water for a Set Aside.

I am still waiting for a reply from CNBC and Anglian Water to the Set Aside request/consent

I sent a SARS request to Anglian Water yesterday

I sent a complaint to Anglian Water yesterday

I don’t know who the bailiffs employees are, how or where do I find that out?

I already have the letter ready at the door for the bailiffs to look at.

Is there anything else I should be doing that I have missed out?

Comment

Originally posted by vickyticky View Post
            Yes, I have requested consent from the Civil National Business Centre for a a Set Aside.

I requested consent from Anglian Water for a Set Aside.

I am still waiting for a reply from CNBC and Anglian Water to the Set Aside request/consent

I sent a SARS request to Anglian Water yesterday

I sent a complaint to Anglian Water yesterday

I don’t know who the bailiffs employees are, how or where do I find that out?

I already have the letter ready at the door for the bailiffs to look at.

Is there anything else I should be doing that I have missed out?
            Once you get consent from Anglian Water or what they say update the thread.

CNBC can't give consent.

You apply to the Court to set a side the Judgement with consent or without consent.

I can't be 100% but the bailiffs might be Marstons - https://www.marstonholdings.co.uk/

Just what's in this post.

Comment

Thank you Echat11, I'll update when I receive anything, your help is much appreciated

Comment

UPDATE – I have received a letter from anglian water today stating that they are now going to send enforcement officers to my house. This is the first letter I have received from them since the claim form via cnbc to inform me of the debt. I have written to anglian water 3 times now, all letters with proof of posting receipts, regarding my set aside request and acknowledging my letters, they have not replied to any of the letters. I rang the cnbc today to ask if my request for set aside has been received and put onto the system yet, (it was sent in feb), their reply was no it hasn’t yet and they said I should re-send the whole lot of paperwork again! Any suggestions to what I should do next regarding anglian water ignoring my letters?

Comment

Originally posted by vickyticky View Post
                  UPDATE – I have received a letter from anglian water today stating that they are now going to send enforcement officers to my house. This is the first letter I have received from them since the claim form via cnbc to inform me of the debt. I have written to anglian water 3 times now, all letters with proof of posting receipts, regarding my set aside request and acknowledging my letters, they have not replied to any of the letters. I rang the cnbc today to ask if my request for set aside has been received and put onto the system yet, (it was sent in feb), their reply was no it hasn’t yet and they said I should re-send the whole lot of paperwork again! Any suggestions to what I should do next regarding anglian water ignoring my letters?

O.K., you are classed as a 'vulnerable person', ill health.
                  Because of that, there are things that bailiffs can't do.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/de...re-vulnerable/

Just in case Marston's are minded to ignore that, email the following letter to them. Email a copy to Anglian Water.

Also, place a copy in an envelope, keep it by the door, hand the letter to the Marston's bailiff through the window or letterbox. They should hand the account back to Anglian Water.

https://www.nationaldebtline.org/sam...vulnerable-ew/

Have you done a) b) and c) in post 2?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X