• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Hello everybody I have a PPI contract potential forgery I need help with.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello everybody I have a PPI contract potential forgery I need help with.

Hello everybody,

Thanks for having me here I didn't even know this great site existed until I started googling for help.

My problem is back in July I received a letter from Barclaycard saying that they were still looking into my PPI claim but were delayed due to the Corona virus outbreak. I was a bit surprised as I hadn't, to my knowledge made a claim so thought nothing more of it other than perhaps it was their own internal systems. In December I received another letter from Barclaycard saying that my claim had been upheld and I would receive a cheque from "HD Law". Now I haven't a clue who they were so I thought that this was some sort of elaborate online scam.

On 5th January I received an email from HD Law saying that they'd received the money from Barclaycard and would I like it sending in the form of a cheque or would I supply bank details. Here's where I smelt what I thought was a rat so I asked them for a copy of the contract and form of authority, it took them a couple of days but sure enough they came back with both documents with all of my personal information on but with a twist in the tail. The signature on both documents bares absolutely no resemblance to that of mine and is clearly a copy and paste from one document to another as are the dates which have been produced in a typeface made to resemble handwriting.

I have now received the settlement less the 20% + VAT HD Law have removed yet I have absolute certainty in my mind I didn't engage them. What I do recall is in the first few months of 2019 I filled in a "free no obligation" PPI checker but didn't sign any contracts.

Can anybody help me please?
    Tags: None

Hiya

The 'free ppi check' that turns into a claims contract without the customer's informed consent is a ruse that was used by some claims management companies and solicitors.

HD Law appear to be a firm of solicitors so are regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority who have pretty strict rules on marketing and taking on clients.

I would make a formal complaint to HD Law and if that is rejected then you can go to the Legal Ombudsman with it.

Comment

In addition I suggest keeping your bank fully informed. There is possibly opportunity for criminals to access an account for them to have done this.

Comment

Thanks guys. Exc, can I also complain to the Solicitors Regulation Authority? I was thinking about simply contacting the local fraud squad to HD Law and getting them to investigate - is it worth doing this?

Scott22. could you elaborate on how this works please I'm not too savvy when it comes to this sort of stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Pucinelli View Post
          Thanks guys. Exc, can I also complain to the Solicitors Regulation Authority?
          You can't until you first get a final response from HD Law which they have to provide within 8 weeks or they don't reply within 8 weeks. Only then will the Ombudsman accept your complaint.

I was thinking about simply contacting the local fraud squad to HD Law and getting them to investigate - is it worth doing this?
          A waste of time, they wouldn't be interested.

You might also want to send a Subject Access Request to Barclaycard and specifically request any documents, correspondence etc they had from/to HD Law.

Comment

Originally posted by EXC View Post

You can't until you first get a final response from HD Law which they have to provide within 8 weeks or they don't reply within 8 weeks. Only then will the Ombudsman accept your complaint.

A waste of time, they wouldn't be interested.

You might also want to send a Subject Access Request to Barclaycard and specifically request any documents, correspondence etc they had from/to HD Law.
            Thanks very much Exc,

I've already put together a report detailing the anomalies and a subject access order for their data and correspondence along with informing them that I intend to do the same with Barclaycard.

Comment

Ok keep us posted!

Comment

Originally posted by EXC View Post
                Ok keep us posted!
                Will do and thanks for your help.

One last question, are you aware of any similar complaints being upheld I'm wondering if it's worth putting myself through the stress if I'm flogging a dead horse. The impetus for my question is your response regarding the fraud squad - after all if my signature has been forged to obtain money...well!

Comment

Not sure about solicitors but we had a court case recently with Allay and the circumstances were very similar.

Allay LOSE in Court - LegalBeagles Forum

Comment

So I've raised my complaint with the company directors in the form of a six page, evidence based document and his response after two minutes was:

"Could you please allow me until 4pm on Friday to investigate matters and come back to you with a solution?"

I'm not holding my breath.

Comment

Err ok!

Comment

Hello again,

So I've had a response from HD Law which presents more puzzles than it solves. The email seems to emphasize on the fact that only I could've supplied them with my personal data and Barclays, who don't want to pay out claims, wouldn't have responded to them if HDL didn't have my personal details on the FOA. I'm not disputing that I I gave them my personal details to complete a free check, I'm disputing that I signed the contract and the FOA.
                        A part of the document journey they've sent me a walk through of the form that they claim I filled in online, in all honesty I simply don't recognise this form at all, additionally it has the facility to download the signed documents so I've done a sweep of my laptop (which I've had since May 2018) and there are no documents. HDL say:

"Another attachment is a “walk through” of the sign up process. On page 5 of your document you tell us that you have a pre prepared E Signature that you use when singing documents online. This suggests that you understand the legitimacy and convenience afforded by E Sign protocols. On our signup process, there was no facility to use a pre prepared E Signature, which is why your signature on these documents differs the version you have shown us. The signature on our process had to be created at the point of sign up. Our records indicate that the OS you used was Windows 10, which suggests that this was on a PC or a laptop."

In situations where I've had to sign in such a manner, doorstep parcel deliveries when you have to sign the hand held screen for example, I have a unique way of simply signing with my initials. In this instance I would've used the same method had I signed the document so this simply enforces my belief that I di not sign anything for them to proceed.

So I'm adamant that I didn't sign the document the claim I did, I have no recognition of the sign up process form, I have no emails from HDL until 5th January 2021, I have no downloaded copies of the documents I'm alleged to have signed, the signature bears no resemblance to mine, electronically or otherwise yet HDL are emphatic in telling me what a squeaky clean ship they run.

I really would appreciate your advice please?

Comment

From how you've described their response they seem pretty unconvincing to me.

I mainly deal with this kind of issue with Claims Management Companies but solicitors have much stricter rules to follow when they take on clients.

If that was their final response to your complaint you should now take your complaint to the Legal Ombudsman. However prior to doing that it might be worth sending both HD Law and Barclays a Subject Access Request - template here LegalBeagles

SARs have to be fullfilled within a month and they might well throw up some documents that could strengthen your case.

Comment

I did send them a Subject Access Request, they didn't ask to be paid for it and have sent only the sample of the electronic form and FOA for the various lenders I asked them to check along with the Barclaycard documents. They haven't returned to me any emails they may have sent and I can't find any in my old mailbox which goes back to 2014 so it would appear that at no point did they contact me directly.

If I'd signed the form I'd happily pay their fee and thank them for recovering the money for me but I'm more than convinced that I didn't sign it and their, unconvincing attempts to assure me that I did indeed sign it are making me feel even more uncomfortable.

I suspect that when I get the documentation back from Barclaycard it will be the FOA and Contract that HDL have sent to me with the spurious signature on.

Comment

I forgot to add I'm happy to send you their response if you'd like to see it in full?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X