• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Marks & Spencer Trespass Notice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marks & Spencer Trespass Notice

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and comment. I live locally to a Marks and Spencer Simply Food (Harrow) which I was a regular shopper. They only have self check outs in this particular store. When visited as I was still at the checkout I was stopped as they said I displayed “unusual behaviour”. They asked me to go into a back room where they showed me a clip of me which showed me: at the till putting several items aside in the M&S bag, leaving the bag at the self service till while going and getting a forgot item (ketchup) and then coming back and scanning the ketchup with all other items. Rationale - I didn’t want anyone to put my several items away hence why I kept it in the bag (in a basket) at the checkout. So as I returned with ketchup and scanned other items someone approached me to ask if I had already paid for those items.*
    we spent around 20 mins in the room where they tried to find previous transactions from my card number so they could see my behaviour on CCTV. Unfortunately that didn’t work as they had my card but was one that was just issued as previous one expired. I told them of my most recent visit to the store so they went back to look for me but given I didn’t have exact times (rough window of say 2-3pm), they didn’t find me. Also they looked at my Receipt and realised I didn’t include the self service coffee which is true, as there is no scan for it you have to remember to add it and I left that out.*They said I was extremely luck that all I was getting was a “Trespass Notice” and not calling the police.
    I see why my behaviour may potentially seem “unusual” however I paid for the items before they approached me, hence I wasn’t making an attempt to leave the store. Also, they didn’t find any other footage to highlight anything negative. From my credit card they took my full name and asked for my address which rattled me so I gave a wrong address still in the area but a different road. They issued me with the notice and I left. I appreciate it seems odd that I gave a different address if I am innocent...I just wanted to know: 1). If I don’t go back there again are there likely to be any further repercussions 2). Also can I really never go to another M&S ever again? This seems so extreme and not great especially as I live quite local to that one. But to never go to another M&S again. Any advice / info would be greatly appreciated. *
    Tags: None

Hi and welcome

I just wonder why the goons reckon you were lucky they didn't call the police over a forgotten cup of coffee!
    I reckon they were lucky as police would not appreciate the wasting of their time.

Regarding the incorrect address... no matter as you are under no obligation to provide them with any address at all*

You haven't done anything so there will be no repercussions.

As M&S is a private company they are entitled to ban anybody from entering their premises.
    If you were to go into any of their shops you would be trespassing.
    If you were recognised they could ask you to leave, and if you refused they could use whatever force was reasonable to eject you.
    If you were caught eg shoplifting whilst there you could be charged with burglary rather than theft

If you do go back be aware that it is probable that at least some* M&S stores use facial recognition systems

Comment

Just to add, the reason for my above post is because I have read other threads which state people have got letters *from external companies on the back of this wanting money . However given they have my address incorrectly not sure how they will track this etc

Comment

Well in that case you won't receive any of their demands, which in any case you should ignore

Comment

Many thanks for your response Des. I appreciate the Information. So you think if I went to do shopping in a different M&S (another location) say in 8 months time or so they would identify me through facial recognition?
          The image they showed of me wasn’t so clear to suggest they could do facial recognition. It just seems absurd to never go to any M&S again, especially if there is no evidence.

Comment

Well just go in.
            There is nothing they can do except ask you to leave, as long as you are not breaking the law.
            Whether or not they will actually recognise you is another matter.

You could write to their head office and complain about the way you were treated, especially if you are a regular shopper, and ask for the ban to be lifted.
            Your problem with that course of action is that you gave them a false address whilst in the store

Comment

Thanks appreciate it. If you were in my position which course of action would you take? *I don’t want to go back to be honest but thinking ahead of my kids need clothing for school when they are older in say 4 years time, I want to be able to purchase it from their clothing shop elsewhere etc.*

also given that I provided a wrong address, do you think they (or the external firm they provide the details to) will try and locate my via public records or social media etc?

Comment

If I wanted to shop in M&S I would chance it, and I doubt there will be any attempt to trace you.
                Just not worth while

Comment

Thank you so much for your responses. The last few days I feel a little more at peace with it. However I sometimes get visions of those letters I read of various threads potentially bouncing back (as not my address) and they sending it to the police to search for my address etc. Am I being unnecessarily paranoid? Also, given the letter they have me in store just being a “trespass” letter can I take it that this does not constitute any caution or criminal charge etc, or anything that will mean I need to disclose on any potential future job offers? As I’m just finishing my studies and will be looking for employment next year?

as you know they have my full name and image on CCTV (not correct address).

thanks again, appreciate all your help.
                  A

Comment

shop in a real shop not over priced fancy label

Comment

Originally posted by Amir1978 View Post
                      Thank you so much for your responses. The last few days I feel a little more at peace with it. However I sometimes get visions of those letters I read of various threads potentially bouncing back (as not my address) and they sending it to the police to search for my address etcThey won't. Am I being unnecessarily paranoid? Yes*Also, given the letter they have me in store just being a “trespass” letter can I take it that this does not constitute any caution or criminal charge etc,correct, no criminal record of any sort or anything that will mean I need to disclose on any potential future job offers?nothing to disclose to any future employer or anybody else As I’m just finishing my studies and will be looking for employment next year?

as you know they have my full name and image on CCTV (not correct address).

thanks again, appreciate all your help.
                      A
                      responses in red

Comment

Thanks both*

Comment

Hi, hope all is well. Firstly thank you so much for spending time reviewing my questions and responding. I really do appreciate it. *I had another question, do you know cases where people have had the tresspass notice and returned to other stores (without doing anything suspicious or wrong) and being identified (especially if the staff are different). I’m just thinking ahead, I can’t write to the Head Office to ask for the ban to be lifted as I have an incorrect address. But in the future I may need to go to one of their stores, although after how they treated me, it will be a last resort.*
                          if in my position would you just wait some time and then when needed visit a different store?

Also, given they have my name but incorrect address, do you think they could provide my image to the police or they would try and locate me through other forms?

many thanks for the time and help,
                          A

Comment

No. Move on

Comment

Look, if you want to visit their stores, just walk in and see what happens.
                              The most they can do is ask you to leave.

Certainly they will not be contacting the police, and trying to locate you will cost time and money.
                              The last thing they want to do is pay out if they are uncertain of getting a payback!

As MIKE770* move on and stop fretting

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X