• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Legal position on marital status for a loan application

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legal position on marital status for a loan application

Hi, I am considering getting a very small loan in order to buy a new car.* * I have been divorced for 20 years and definitely identify as a single person, with absolutely no ties of any kind to my ex-spouse.* Yet one of the very first questions on any loan application is whether I am single, married or divorced.* "As it could affect my application".* * *I have an excellent credit rating which should be the main concern of any lending institution surely?* * If I state that I am single, am I committing any kind of offence or fraud under UK law?* *I have to say, I find the question really insulting.**
    Tags: None

I don't know why they still ask this it is a nonsense - you're no more stable by being married than you are not - what do people in civil partnerships tick ? Gets my goat. No idea how long after divorce you are classed as single rather than divorced ... think 20 years should be enough though.

I got remarried to avoid just this issue ! ( not really but it makes it easier )
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Thanks Amethyst - I am very glad I am not the only one annoyed by this outdated and rather sexist question - since I have a feeling it is generally aimed at women rather than men!* * * *I can understand that a lending institution would want to know if you were in some way connected financially with someone else - particularly if you were in any way dependent on them, but at what point is it any of their business when there is no connection at all?* All the checks they do on your name, address, work etc etc should make it very clear if you were connected with someone else, so there is no need to ask if you are divorced.* * I do not label myself as divorced, (why on earth should I after all this time?)* * BUT I still don't know if it is legally okay for me to state that I am single on an application form.**

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X