• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Car stocking company

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car stocking company

Hi, I bought a car for 11k in may from a reputable dealer I had successfully used before. We paid 6750 part x and 4500 on credit/debit cards.
    The dealership has gone bust and a baliff for the stocking company (never heard that term before) who supplied the cars to the dealership has turned up at my door with a letter authorising them to recover the car along with 120 others. He says as the money wasn't paid to the stocking company the car still belongs to them.
    To be fair he didn't ask for the car but I had* I made it clear he wasn't getting it without a court order - he did have another driver with him. He asked for proof of purchase and took photos.
    The car sits unprotected most days and I'm concerned they will come and take it. Does anyone know where I stand?
    Tags: None

Originally posted by dach View Post
    Hi, I bought a car for 11k in may from a reputable dealer I had successfully used before. We paid 6750 part x and 4500 on credit/debit cards.
    The dealership has gone bust and a baliff for the stocking company (never heard that term before) who supplied the cars to the dealership has turned up at my door with a letter authorising them to recover the car along with 120 others. He says as the money wasn't paid to the stocking company the car still belongs to them.
    To be fair he didn't ask for the car but I had* I made it clear he wasn't getting it without a court order - he did have another driver with him. He asked for proof of purchase and took photos.
    The car sits unprotected most days and I'm concerned they will come and take it. Does anyone know where I stand?
    The £6750 was a part exchange vehicle? then you paid £4500 credit/debit etc. There is no finance, and you have full ownership of the car and the bailiff has no claim over it without a court order. Have you run a HPI check on the car to be sure it is free from any finance from previous owners etc?

ploddertom des8
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Stoking companies supply dealers with the finance they need, often loaned against the security of the vehicles on the forecourt although such finance will not be registered HPI.

Accordingly, as it is not possible for the purchaser to know if there is outstanding finance on a vehicle and the dealer hasn't mentioned it, the sale should be regarded as passing good title to the purchaser as per section 27 of the Hire Purchase Act (1964).

At least that would be my argument and I would write to the stocking company telling them so and ask them to remove instructions from the recovery company (doubt if they were acting as bailiffs/court enforcement officers). If any inconvenience should be caused by their actions you will be claiming damages.

Comment

Did you get the name of the Bailiff and the company he works for. To be honest just sounds like a repo man chancing his arm.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X