• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

UK Law Regarding Sexting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK Law Regarding Sexting

I can’t seem to find a concrete answer on this anywhere. I’ve searched the web for ages...anyway, what is the current UK law(s) regarding sexting between an adult (18+) and someone who is between 16-17? I’m not talking sending images or videos, but purely sexually explicit conversations.

Thanks.
    Tags: None

Best bet is don't, as it could come back to haunt you.

Comment

I think you are safe from the law.
      Section 67 of the Serious Crime Act 2015 inserted a new offence into the Sexual Offences Act 2003, at section 15A, criminalising sexual communication with a person under 16 years of age

Comment

Completely agree with Paula, just don't.

A) With regards 'sexting' https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga...42/section/15A ( offence for person over 18 to sext child under 16 )

B) With regards pictures - http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1978/37 ( under 18 )

A leads far too easily to B. So just don't.

( Sorry Des , I crossed posts getting the links xxx )
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Just to confirm; I haven’t been sexting with anyone under 18, however I have been talking to someone who was 17 but said she was 18. The conversations weren’t sexually explicit but there may have been some “undesirable” messages hinting at sexual things.

Comment

You haven't committed an offence at the moment ( assuming chats were two way and consensual of course) and it's good you've realised things might have been heading in that direction so you can try and draw a line under it xx
            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Do you think I should delete any inappropriate messages? Again, thanks for the reply its much appreciated.

Comment

I might be inclined to keep copies just in case any future allegations are made that you might need evidence in order to counter.
                #staysafestayhome

Comment

Just to add, don't instigate or suggest or lead the girl on (without explicitly saying) to sending you images as that's not going to go well for you either. Obviously if you are in a position where she randomly sends you a photo for no reason then you might be wise to tell her not to do that anymore and delete it.

Normally a bit of common sense applies and I agree with Ame that you might want to consider keeping/backing up those messages rather than delete them because if for some reason you fall out with this girl or it leads nothing, you may be accused of something that didn't happen. Not that I am saying it definitely will, but there have been some cases of this in the news recently.
                  If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
                  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                  LEGAL DISCLAIMER
                  Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

I was thinking of deleting my instagram account anyway for a long time and making another (for other reasons, not this whole situation I’ve got myself worked up over). So that’s not a good idea either?

Thanks.

Comment

Guys, id hate to throw a spanner in the works, but could the Communications Act 2003 bite?

I say this because it applies to electronic comms, it covers indecent or obscene messages, which could catch this case possibly? Its here http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2003/21/section/127
                      I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Originally posted by BXR1999 View Post
                        I was thinking of deleting my instagram account anyway for a long time and making another (for other reasons, not this whole situation I’ve got myself worked up over). So that's not a good idea either?

Thanks.
                        I thought you were talking about SMS text messages ? You've been chatting on DM/PM's through Instagram ? ( Okay I don't really know how Instagram works )

Don't send anything over the internet that you wouldn't be happy for your mother, the police, employer, and everyone in the universe to see. Things get hacked and exposed and screenshotted and then misconstrued, misrepresented and used against you.
                        Remember if you delete things sent/received from your account, the person you sent them to/received them from also has copies in their account, and the messages could well be stored in the database for some time after you delete them. ( Facebook you can reinstate your account years after you thought you'd deleted it for instance...

If I want to keep anything I remove from online etc I usually print the page as a PDF and store it as a file, just in case I need to go back to it later.

And just it case it has been a bit one sided it's w
                        orth having a read of the Comms Act as Paul says.
                        #staysafestayhome

Comment

Yes sorry I should’ve mentioned it was Instagram in my original post. I have decided to not delete anything then as this makes me look guilty even though I’ve done nothing wrong due to the fact I firmly believed this person to be 18 (with screenshots to prove it). Thoughts?

Thanks.

Comment

Well, I would assume that similar rules will apply to the 16 year old 'reasonable belief' defence ( … B is under 16 and A does not reasonably believe that B is 16 or over. ... from https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2003/42/section/15A )

Has anything happened to instigate your concerns about this? or just that you found out the other person was under 18?

#staysafestayhome

Comment

I found out she was lying about her age in a post to her friend which made me think all this up and started just worrying like crazy over it.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X