• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Previous occupants debts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Previous occupants debts

HI
    Can anyone help please. I am being inundated with statements, collection letters and formal demands for the previous occupants of my home. I have been here for 2 years in Jan and the property was empty for at least 6 months before that. Most companies are reasonable except for AA finance. They refuse to stop sending letters or trace the individual they are looking for. I have complained by phone, in writing and used a complaint service from 'Martins money' all to no avail.The letters are daily sometimes, is there nothing I can do to stop this, I am worried that the next stage will be debt collectors knocking at my door.
    Tags: None

How you can deal with debts not in your name

There are a few different scenarios to consider when you’re being chased for someone else’s debt. How you deal with this unwanted contact may vary, depending on which scenario applies to you. I’m getting letters addressed to a previous resident of my home

When a person moves home they should update their creditors with their new address. This doesn’t always happen, or there may be a delay while their creditors update their records. The important thing is that you are NOT liable for debts owed by someone who lived in your house before you.

In this scenario, simply write ‘not at this address’ on the envelope and put it back in the post box. This doesn’t require a stamp and the Post Office should return the letter to the sender. This might be enough to stop further contact. If you do continue to receive letters, you can then send a written complaint to the company.

Comment

Originally posted by MIKE770 View Post
      How you can deal with debts not in your name

There are a few different scenarios to consider when you’re being chased for someone else’s debt. How you deal with this unwanted contact may vary, depending on which scenario applies to you. I’m getting letters addressed to a previous resident of my home

When a person moves home they should update their creditors with their new address. This doesn’t always happen, or there may be a delay while their creditors update their records. The important thing is that you are NOT liable for debts owed by someone who lived in your house before you.

In this scenario, simply write ‘not at this address’ on the envelope and put it back in the post box. This doesn’t require a stamp and the Post Office should return the letter to the sender. This might be enough to stop further contact. If you do continue to receive letters, you can then send a written complaint to the company.
      As I said in my post, I have done all of that and more to no avail. I am looking for the next step, but thank you anyway.

Comment

have a word with citizens advice? Amethyst asked to pop in here keep copies on file of all letters sent/received

Did you send letters Recorded Delivery?

Comment

A cease and desist harrassment letter ... unless that's what you already did ?

Have you a copy of the letter you sent ?
          Also who are AA Finance ? Is there a company reg or fca number on their letters ?
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X