• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Council Tax - Surprising mistake, Letters sent to Ex Partners home, Breach of GDPR?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council Tax - Surprising mistake, Letters sent to Ex Partners home, Breach of GDPR?

Hello, I am writing this to get help for my dad,

Him and my mum were divorced 16 years ago, and have not had any relationship since then. My dad always pays his council tax as a single person living along at his home address. My mum lives 200 miles away from him. This week the council sent my mum, six or more letters, relating to my dads council tax. The letters are quite alarming in them selves, they date back to 2013 and state my dad has unpaid council tax, they've even taken this to magistrates court without my dad knowing. He says he has always paid it and this must be a mistake. He was non the wiser until my mum contacted me asking me to let my dad know that these letters were sent too her house demanding payment and it looked quite serious.

My concern is, 1) this is a huge mistake, which has gone to court with out his knowledge. 2) they've breached my dads privacy by sending these letters to his ex wife of 16 years, they have not protected his privacy or his data! I'm sure this is against GDPR. 3) If this is has been going on since 2013 why is he only finding out now? 4) what rights do they have sending letters to his ex?

Any advice on the matter to help my dad get this resolved is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    Bex

Tags: None

First he should contact the council and find out why there is a liability order against him when he has never missed paying his council tax. Ask them for a full breakdown of his account. Once that's sorted and he knows if there actually is any debt he can make a complaint over the GDPR issues.

Has he ever lived at the address that your mum lives at ?
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

No he has never lived at the address my mum lives at, since there divorce he has always been at the same address.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X