• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

unpaid commercial rent

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unpaid commercial rent

my partner has received a notice of enforcement for unpaid commercial rent. However, it has come from a previous landlord, not his current one. Is this allowed? Can a bailiff attend and take goods if the person who is alleging that rent is owed is no longer the landlord?
    Tags: None

Originally posted by kittykins View Post
    my partner has received a notice of enforcement for unpaid commercial rent. However, it has come from a previous landlord, not his current one. Is this allowed? Can a bailiff attend and take goods if the person who is alleging that rent is owed is no longer the landlord?
    Yes, if they were the owner and rent was not paid while they owned the property under a commercial lease agreement they are entitled to recover the debt outstanding.
    COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Originally posted by jaguarsuk View Post

Yes, if they were the owner and rent was not paid while they owned the property under a commercial lease agreement they are entitled to recover the debt outstanding.
      Thank you for your response. We knew that he would have to pay the debt but I didn't think he could enforce it without going through the courts since he is no longer the landlord?

Comment

Originally posted by kittykins View Post

Thank you for your response. We knew that he would have to pay the debt but I didn't think he could enforce it without going through the courts since he is no longer the landlord?
        Sorry I misread the question, no they cannot enforce the debt without first obtaining a county court judgement. If they have not got a CCJ against either the business or your partner as an individual a bailiff could not attend or remove goods, so if the notice of enforcement is from a bailiffs it would suggest they have one.

Does the notice have an 8 digit alpha numeric reference on it? If so your partner should contact your local county court with it to see if a judgement has been entered. If it has also ask where the claim for was sent as they have not received it.

They can also check their credit file to see if one is registered on https://www.creditkarma.co.uk/ for free.

If a judgement has been entered there are things that can be done to remove it, but lets establish the full position first.
        COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X