• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Shoplifting and Police - possible consequences?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shoplifting and Police - possible consequences?

I have recently been caught shoplifting from asda with £180 of goods, sounds silly but i didnt even know what i had done till i got pulled by security, as i am different medication for depression, anxiety and sleeping tablets, i am a single mum of 2 and have no family i am worried sick that i am going to be sent to jail its my first ever offense.

All goods were retreived in bags and fine.

They got the police they came searched me, read me my rights, then took me home so i could show them proof that i lived where i said i did.

Do you know what might happen next ?

des8 please can you help?
    Tags: None

Hi and welcome

First thing is to stop worrying about jail.
    That won't happen for £180, and especially viewing your family circumstances.

Secondly visit your doctor and tell him/her what has happened.
    Ask him about possible side effects of the medication you are taking.
    This could be a major contributory factor in your behaviour.
    Ask for a letter explaining this.

Thirdly I suspect you will be invited to the police station for a voluntary interview.
    Request the attendance of the duty solicitor.
    This is free and it is your right to receive free independent legal advice.
    Explain all circumstances to him prior to the interview and he will guide you, so you do not incriminate yourself unnecessarily

Finally you will probably receive letters from a firm called Drydens. They will be asking for an extortionate amount of money for imagined losses.
    Their letters will be more scary than the police but, unlike the police, you should ignore them completely

Comment

Hi des i have recieved a letter from a company called dwf for security costs of £125 which i have to pay in 14 days which i csnt do need advice please

Comment

I have been sent an email to say u have replied to my message but i csnt see anything

Comment

Ahhhh I'll move this to your thread. - EDIT: Done

If you look https://legalbeagles.info/forums/for...rs-rlp-and-dwf post #9 there are examples of the DWF letters.

This is similar to the one you've received??

2019-04-05 10_57_33-Start.png
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

There is no need to pay anything.
            The only bills you MUST pay are court orders.
            This is purely an invoice for imagined losses.
            Their security costs would have been incurred regardless of your actions, and they are not entitled to pass them on to you.
            Ignore DWF, even though they write scary letters.
            Their aim is to pressurise you into paying.
            Just ignore them

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X