• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

I was mugged, now im an offender.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was mugged, now im an offender.

Hello, happy new year.
    I was involved in an incident back in November and hope that someone can help with whats happened snce.

I was out with a friend for drinks on a Friday evening, we decided to get a takeaway on the way home and i'd just taken cash out of an atm to pay for a taxi. I was in the takaway and a man snatched the cash from my hand and stuffed it in his pocket. I told him to give it back, he shouted and swore and threatened violence, i asked him several more times and there were more threats of violence, he made a lunge at me so i hit him, once. I'm not proud of this, but he'd stolen from me and then lashed out, so i hit him to stop him attacking me. The police were called and we were both arrested, me for assault (the guy insisted to the police that i had violently assaulted him without provocation), and were carted off to the local police station.

Whilst I was handcuffed and waiting for the police van to arrive 3 people came up and offered to act as witnesses, they'd seen the entire episode, confirmed what i'd said, one of them had started filming us right after the guy took my cash, but the police officers were reluctant to take their details so the people txtd me their contacts in case i needed statements from them. I was fingerprinted, DNA swabbed, photographed, Smartwater scanned, held in a cell overnight, denied essential meds that i must take every morning, held until mid afternoon when they released me without charge.
    When i was being released the policemen were quite chatty and told me that the mugger had been interviewed and when the police told him there were several witnesses and video of the event he decided to drop his claim that i assaulted him. The policeman also promised that all DNA, photos, fingerprints would be immediately destroyed and no charges would be brought and that i was free to go.

Last week i got a letter in the post, it was a "Safer Business Network Offender Privacy Notice" and its really concerned me. This letter refers to me as an "offender" telling me that my data has been shared with members and that it will be held for a specific period of time. All through the letter i am called an offender, yet i havent commited any offence havent been charged with or certainly not convicted of any offence and I'm terrified that my personal info is now in the public domain and i am being portayed as a criminal. I'm self employed and if any of my clients saw this it would be devastating for my reputation and also financially.

It seems the police havent destroyed my data, instead theyve shared it with a third party who have slandered me. I feel that i've been lied to, Im in a mess here, what can i do?
    Tags: None

You should send a SAR to Safer Business and challenge them about the source and accuracy of their data.

Comment

Wow, that was quick, tks 2222.
      D'you happen to know where they may have got their data? Have i been bubbled up by the fuzz or is there another entity at work?

Comment

I would also be demanding that they write to all their members correcting the information, and instructing them to delete it from their files.
        You also require a copy of their letter and a list of members to whom it is sent, together with an unreserved apology.
        Failure will lead to consequences.

Safer Business claim an association with the Met https://www.saferbusiness.org.uk

See here for when police destroy records https://www.gov.uk/government/public...otected-in-law

Comment

Tks DES8, good to know that they can't spread inaccurate guff about me. i'll have a proper look at that lot in the morning.

Comment

Tks again.

Comment

The Safer Business Network privacy notice ( is that what they sent to you?) has some details of who to contact. ( see Offenders Rights at the bottom of the document )

Available from https://www.saferbusiness.org.uk/gdpr

2019-01-18 11_47_43-Start.png
              Attached Files
              #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X