• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

ford complaint

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ford complaint

hi Please help.
    I purchased a new car from trust ford Eltham the car has a factory fitted sun roof which is leaking the boot mat went mouldy the floor carpets are soaked and the car now smells very damp.
    took car back to ford to look at the technician found the fault he said the car has a manufacture fault and will need to be sent away for repair.
    the car is just under six months old 2.000 miles and cost just under £20.000 pounds I want a replacement car one that don't leak.I don't see why i should have to have a brand new repaired car
    Ford are only prepared to repair the car. Can i take this to court? what are my rights ?
    please help
    regards woodcroft
    Tags: None

Under the Consumer Rights Act, you have 30 days from purchase to reject goods that are of unsatisfactory quality, unfit for purpose, or not as described, and get a full refund.

The retailer, although in practice Ford will see to it, has the right to attempt a repair. If that fails, you then have the right to reject the goods and get a refund.

You need to inspect the repair very closely indeed. I suggest you get an engineer to check the state of the inside of the car for any signs of rust or other water damage whilst it is dismantled and agree with Ford the exact specification of the rectification work. I assume the carpets will be replaced, anyway, but it's important that other areas are closely inspected and all damaged parts are replaced. For example, it's possible the seats have been damaged.

If you make it hard enough for them to repair, Ford may possibly give in to your request to replace the car, so it's worth your while to spend several hundred pounds getting an independent engineer in.

It's crucial whether you are currently just before or just after the 6 months date from purchase. Which is it?

Did this inundation occur suddenly, or was it very gradual? Did you notice it but then delay dealing with it?

Comment

Originally posted by 2222 View Post
      Under the Consumer Rights Act, you have 30 days from purchase to reject goods that are of unsatisfactory quality, unfit for purpose, or not as described, and get a full refund.

The retailer, although in practice Ford will see to it, has the right to attempt a repair. If that fails, you then have the right to reject the goods and get a refund.

You need to inspect the repair very closely indeed. I suggest you get an engineer to check the state of the inside of the car for any signs of rust or other water damage whilst it is dismantled and agree with Ford the exact specification of the rectification work. I assume the carpets will be replaced, anyway, but it's important that other areas are closely inspected and all damaged parts are replaced. For example, it's possible the seats have been damaged.

If you make it hard enough for them to repair, Ford may possibly give in to your request to replace the car, so it's worth your while to spend several hundred pounds getting an independent engineer in.

It's crucial whether you are currently just before or just after the 6 months date from purchase. Which is it?

Did this inundation occur suddenly, or was it very gradual? Did you notice it but then delay dealing with it?
      HI 2222
      thanks for reply deposit paid for car on 12/06/2018 we collected the car on 30/06/2018 we phoned ford on the 21/11/2018 and told them about problem they booked car in on the 3/12/2018 the reason we did not notice was because we had such a dry summer. the ford technician told us the car would have left the factory with this fault would that mean the car was of unsatisfactory quality when we bought it. Ford want to repair the car i don't want the car back .what would you recommend i do? thanks

Comment

Under the CRA 2015, as the fault has surfaced longerthan 30 days after delivery, but before the expiry of 6 months the dealer has the right to attempt one repair.
        This has to be within a reasonable time and without significant inconvenience to the consumer, and
        the dealer bear any necessary costs incurred in doing so (including in particular the cost of any labour, materials or postage).

Comment

Originally posted by woodcroft38 View Post

HI 2222
          thanks for reply deposit paid for car on 12/06/2018 we collected the car on 30/06/2018 we phoned ford on the 21/11/2018 and told them about problem they booked car in on the 3/12/2018 the reason we did not notice was because we had such a dry summer. the ford technician told us the car would have left the factory with this fault would that mean the car was of unsatisfactory quality when we bought it. Ford want to repair the car i don't want the car back .what would you recommend i do? thanks
          Are you saying the car has been with Ford since 3rd December? Have they provided you with a courtesy car?

If the repair is complete, I do not advise simply refusing to collect it. You have no legal right to do that. What I suggest is that you inform the garage that you intend to get an independent engineer to dismantle the car again and check the repair has been done entirely satisfactorily. If he has to dismantle it and put it back together again, rather than viewing it during the repair process, that is bound to be very expensive. You'll need to pay that cost.

It's a gamble. You pay the engineer say £1000. He then may give the car a clean bill of health, in which case you have no choice but to accept it back from the garage. If you don't want it, you can sell it secondhand, and I guess you'll get maybe £5k less than you paid for it.

OTOH, the engineer may find significant fault with the repair, in which case you are perfectly entitled to reject the car under CRA.

An alternative to all this is to negotiate with the garage, and see what deal you can strike. It will obviously cost you a few thousand pounds, but you'll get the new car you crave.

Comment

Thanks for reply. Ford has had car for repair since 17 December. Yes we have a courtesy car. I was under the impression that when you brought something it has to be of satisfactory quality. The technician told us the car would have left the factory with this fault so fords sold us this car with this fault which is not of satisfactory quality because it leaks. This would be my argument should we take this to court. Whats your thoughts?

Comment

Yes they are supposed to supply it with satisfactory quality. If you had noticed in the first 30 days then you could have rejected. Now you have got past that time you have to allow them one chance of repair.

Comment

you'd lose
                Read CRA 2015

If you discover the car is unsatisfactory after the first 30 days, altho' deemed to be unsatisfactory when delivered, the dealer has the right to attempt one repair.
                If the repair is unsatisfactory you have a final right to reject, but the dealer can deduct an amount for usage.

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
                  you'd lose
                  Read CRA 2015

If you discover the car is unsatisfactory after the first 30 days, altho' deemed to be unsatisfactory when delivered, the dealer has the right to attempt one repair.
                  If the repair is unsatisfactory you have a final right to reject, but the dealer can deduct an amount for usage.
                  I had the idea at the back of my mind that there must not be a deduction for usage during the first 6 months, but on checking that point there seems to be an exemption for motor vehicles. So, Des is right (as always). I've just added this comment in case somebody reads this thread looking for more general advice on the CRA.

Comment

Originally posted by 2222 View Post

So, Des is right (as always).
                    I wish

Comment

Many thanks guys. Not the news I wanted to hear am passing things on to the Ombudsman. Just one more thing I have the car on ford finance final payment in two years time would this help my case?

Thanks

Comment

The only difference purchasing on finance has to your rights, is that instead of the dealer you deal with the finance house.,

Comment

Originally posted by woodcroft38 View Post
                          Many thanks guys. Not the news I wanted to hear am passing things on to the Ombudsman. Just one more thing I have the car on ford finance final payment in two years time would this help my case?

Thanks
                          Which Ombudsman? FOS? If so, have you complained to Ford Finance and had a deadlock letter yet? Or is there some car Ombudsman I am ignorant about?

I don't think you will get anywhere with FOS. If you don't have a valid claim under CRA, you don't have a claim under CCA either. And FOS can only uphold your rights. They can't change the law.

have you rejected the idea of getting an engineer to go over the car with a fine tooth comb, with a view to rejecting the repair?

Comment

https://www.themotorombudsman.org/

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
                              Well, I never!

It would be as well for the OP to download the code of practice, to ensure his complaint falls within the remit of the Ombudsman.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X